United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on the fence about buying this due to the high cost. I'd like to hear a bit more about how good the improvements are.

Poll: What are the best things about Brood War?
What are the best things about Brood War?
New planets
Leadership cards
Heroes
The new unit types and their abilities
New modules
New types of orders
Scenario Play
Patching the base game (e.g. the 6/6 marine card, Archon costs)
Other - please state below
      65 answers
Poll created by paulclarke339

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ger Lam
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
i voted leadership cards for replayability, new modules for the additional strategic options provided(e.g. offensive module against air defense module...) and patching the base game(archons DID need to be fixed).

However, those are the "best" parts in my opinion. The new units are nice, as are the new techs, the defense order, etc...

The reason why i voted "other" is a different one, though:
Much like brood war for the computer game, the expansion is more than a sum of its parts. In mathematical terms, it would be more of a multiplier. What i am, confusingly so, trying to say: Looking beyond any single improvement or change, the game experience, as a whole, is improved beyond what looking at any single element would suggest. We played for about 2 month, almost twice a week, without the add-on...so we did get a lot of fun out of the base game, but the experience has been vastly improved after including the add-on...much more varied strats, more varied situations(the new planets also help a bit with that for very regular players), and lots of things fixed and improved.
As far as value-for-money is concerned, i, personally, am happy to have bought the expansion despite it's cost. Admittedly, that will also depend on how often you are playing and if you expect the game to hit the table quite a bit in the future, too...but i guess since you ARE thinking about getting the expansion, the answer is a yes to at least one of those questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bomholt
United States
Oxford
Ohio
flag msg tools
Get it. Broodwar is definitely worth the money if you plan on playing starcraft more than a few times. The re playability that the leadership cards alone add to the game is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EMELT
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also found that the adjustment to the size of the event deck was a nice change as a couple of times the game ended so suddenly. Granted, that was early on when we were still learning, but now we get more of the fun with higher tech units coming out before the game ends.

So slightly less emphasis on the special victories and more on the normal victory.

This is both because of the larger stage 1 and 2 parts of the event deck, as well as more options within stage 1 leadership card choices than just picking a special victory condition. While special victory conditions are nice to have as a backup, there are other interesting (and fun) options. Plus if you pick your special victory leadership card, people tend to remember you have more than one way of possibly winning and that can influence their decisions as you are percieved to be more of a threat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New planets: Unfortunately, most of them include CP areas for air-only units. I'd like to see them also ground-only areas, just because the current set promotes too much air units (remember that now Normal Victory is more important).

Leadership cards: Thats's a huge change comparing to original game. However, there should be more cards to choose in each stage OR there should be more faction sets (like promotional UED). What's more I think starting units are really unbalanced and that's where original game works better.

The new unit types and their abilities: Units are OK, but they abilities could be more usefull than they are. Notice than most of them have to be researched, unlike in the video game. It is a good idea to allow players to gain some of technologies at the start of the game, just to speed up the tech tree.

New modules: IMO one of the best part of BW. I can find hardly any negative results they brought to gameplay.

New types of orders: Defend order. Very good addition, which solves (mostly) problems with early rushes, but it can be used also to fortify strongly your (possibly better) position. There is not too much you can do with oppotents' guard tokens. Star order is interesting, but it is rarely seen and it doesn't influence the game as much.

Scenario Play: Well, most of them forces one player / team to be a defending side, which can win the game just by surviving enough rounds. Fortunately, players can create some own, more demanding scenarios. Those from rulesbook, however are still worth of playing.

Patching the base game: That's a pity that game designers during corrections didn't consider changing the number of Combat Cards for some units, like eg. Dragoons. But changes which were made are still excellent.

I like that game is not so much luck-based, like e.g. boardgames using dices (although luck is still important here). You can predict many things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Patching the base game: That's a pity that game designers during corrections didn't consider changing the number of Combat Cards for some units, like eg. Dragoons.

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cyb3k wrote:
New planets: Unfortunately, most of them include CP areas for air-only units. I'd like to see them also ground-only areas, just because the current set promotes too much air units (remember that now Normal Victory is more important).

I think the CP areas are air-only to have CP areas that can't be held by bases making them more likely to switch hands. It would be a neat idea to have ground-only areas that can't have bases, but it wouldn't make much sense in terms of the theme (a bunch of ultralisks can hang out here but not a base?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
- -
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
paulclarke339 wrote:
Quote:
Patching the base game: That's a pity that game designers during corrections didn't consider changing the number of Combat Cards for some units, like eg. Dragoons.

Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by this?

Some sets of units quite good in video game doesn't work as well in board game, e.g. Scouts + Dragoons or Wraith + Battlecruiser. Just because of sharing much cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.