Subject: Playing with a 4-year-old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Yakowenko
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
With two simple rule mods to avoid the need for addition, my 4-year-old can play this game.

First, instead of discarding three number cards when two add up to the third, allow discarding any counting sequence (like 4,5,6). This is also a little more flexible - it allows for getting rid of anywhere from two to five cards. And getting a sequence seems about as likely as getting a sum (anyone want to do that math?), so it doesn't noticably affect the game play.

Second, just ignore the point values on queens. With two players, you need five queens to win. This does affect the play slightly, since some queens are normally worth more than others but now they are not (should I use my only dragon to defend my 5-point queen, or save it to protect my 20-point one?). But it's primarily a kid's game, so this isn't a big step down.

With those two changes, my kid wants to play this game all the time.

Next, I have to try removing addition from Power Grid! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good idea. I don't know the card distribution, but intuitively I would be inclined to agree that it wouldn't change much. And if it does increase the average number of discardable cards each turn, that might not be a bad thing for 4-year-olds. thumbsup and a
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
We started playing sleeping queens when my son was 4 and daughter 6. We hold “power cards’ in our hand and lay the number cards in front of us, face up. This way, we can all do math problems together. If I see that my son has numbers 2,3,5 then I ask him, “what is 2 +3?” He then counts the symbols and discovers that 2+3 = 5. I make him say it in order to discard and pick up new ones. They both love this game!

I also encourage them to make the largest math problem they can, which gets them thinking even harder and more flexibly. So, if my daughter has 2,3,1,4 then she can say something like 2+3-1=4 and discard all cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.