Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Canada » Quebec

Subject: I need a Job!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm running out of options so I thought maybe I'd try this out.

I am a recent Biochemistry M.Sc. grad and I need a job. I've been looking for about 8 months now. If anyone has any connections or advice or whatever, please let me know if you can help.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
McDonald's is usually hiring.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend a getting a "No Future" job at Walmart or a local pub/restaurant while you intern or volunteer at a company in the field that you'd like to work in. That's a great way to make contacts and get experience. Working at Walmart will also light a fire to make you actually go out and find a better job. I also recommend attending or volunteering at conferences or blackmailing CEOs or former professors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I don't have any specific help to offer, sorry.

But:

What kind of work do you want? Are you willing to relocate? Details might help people know how to respond to you better.

Maybe change the title of this post to reflect that, such as "Help, need a job in biochemistry"


Best of luck
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I should have been more specific. I want a career in my field. But thanks for the advice anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
McDonald's is usually hiring.


Ouch - that was pretty mean. Anyway, I'm in the same boat, and I'm sure there are plenty of others here too. Doesn't really strike me as the place to bring it up though...

Either way, good luck! cool
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Why not? It's a forum with a bunch of people that read it. I figure it's perfectly Ok to ask for help
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Jensen
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
badge
I was going to buy OverText but I didn't know what to say with it!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
paradoxes wrote:
Burnham wrote:
McDonald's is usually hiring.


Ouch - that was pretty mean. Anyway, I'm in the same boat, and I'm sure there are plenty of others here too. Doesn't really strike me as the place to bring it up though...

Either way, good luck! cool


That's not mean - it's realistic. Working at McDonald's provides a paycheck. Not working anywhere doesn't. Taking a low-paying, "no skills required" type of job not only keeps food on the table but it also provides some incentive to take a less passive approach in job-hunting. He'll really want to get back into his own field soon. But, in the meantime, he is remaining self-sufficient if not exactly intellectualy fulfilled. (And the service at McDonald's might actually improve if it's not just teenagers killing time behind the counter.)

And this is an ideal site for bringing it up. Gamers are an eclectic bunch at the higher end of the intelligence spectrum. That means we will potentially have better connections to the niche market jobs.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My son just graduated with the same degree. He found work with the State Department of Health (North Carolina) as an FDA liason and will also be on the first respondr team in case of food bourne outbreaks. Took him four weeks after he graduated.

Have you tried the department of health or equivalent?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mpin wrote:
I am a recent Biochemistry M.Sc. grad and I need a job.


Have you tried getting a TA position at your alma mater? You could work your way towards a PhD.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Syvertsen
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
General Sherman says have a great day!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pitferret wrote:
paradoxes wrote:
Burnham wrote:
McDonald's is usually hiring.


Ouch - that was pretty mean. Anyway, I'm in the same boat, and I'm sure there are plenty of others here too. Doesn't really strike me as the place to bring it up though...

Either way, good luck! cool


That's not mean - it's realistic. Working at McDonald's provides a paycheck. Not working anywhere doesn't. Taking a low-paying, "no skills required" type of job not only keeps food on the table but it also provides some incentive to take a less passive approach in job-hunting. He'll really want to get back into his own field soon. But, in the meantime, he is remaining self-sufficient if not exactly intellectualy fulfilled. (And the service at McDonald's might actually improve if it's not just teenagers killing time behind the counter.)

And this is an ideal site for bringing it up. Gamers are an eclectic bunch at the higher end of the intelligence spectrum. That means we will potentially have better connections to the niche market jobs.


I'm not sure what I did to have my post picked apart, but telling someone that McDonald's is hiring is meant to be mean-spirited most of the time. I'm sure he is well aware of the fact that he can get a low-end job; that's not what he was asking about. I could go through all the posts here and post flippantly obvious answers to every question - it's not very constructive.

As for your second point, you are right. I didn't notice at first what area he had posted under.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Be willing to relocate, even to some place you think you'll hate. If you hire on to a large company that has a number of locations, it should be fairly easy to transfer after a couple of years to a location more to your liking.

2. Be willing to take a position that isn't necessarily what you're looking for. As long as it can be used as a resume builder in some way, a couple of years doing just about anything at a professional level can help you work your way toward eventually doing exactly what you want.

3. Don't listen to the "work at McDonalds / Walmart" crowd. Finding a job as a professional is a full time job on it's own. If you can afford it, your time is far better spent hunting for a real job.

4. Stay out of debt. Don't be a slave.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, working at Wal-Mart or McDonald's isn't a good idea, and may be harmful to your career. Not something to have on your resume.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider taking the patent bar exam to become a patent agent. Bio-tech companies will always be in need of people capable of understanding and filing patents throughout the world.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindu wrote:
Yeah, working at Wal-Mart or McDonald's isn't a good idea, and may be harmful to your career. Not something to have on your resume.


You don't have to put it on your resume, but it does show that for that time being you weren't sitting on your ass milking the system for unemployment. Also it does pay the bills and gives you a sense of humility and empathy for those who unfortunately are stuck in low paying jobs because of lack of education, etc. Any employer who would look down on someone for taking a low wage job to survive after college is probably an elitist SOB who never worked in a "real" job in their life.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to start any rifts in this thread. Any advice is appreciated, even if it's working at walmart.

I really want a job in biotech or pharma. I could also work as a technician in academia or anyplace that requires one.

I've checked the government job postings and they are pretty weak right now.

It's funny that not a single reply has been from a fellow canadian or quebecer. I'd really like to hear from some people that are in the area. But please, the American replies are still very much welcomed and appreciated.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Pinchuk
Canada
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxidyne wrote:
Consider taking the patent bar exam to become a patent agent. Bio-tech companies will always be in need of people capable of understanding and filing patents throughout the world.


I actually like this idea and I will check into it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your post made me think of this...

Ten Reasons You Should Never Get a Job:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-shou...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mpin wrote:

It's funny that not a single reply has been from a fellow canadian or quebecer. I'd really like to hear from some people that are in the area. But please, the American replies are still very much welcomed and appreciated.


I just sent you a GeekMail. I lived in Quebec for 2 years and I work as a research scientist in the pharma industry. I also had a tough time finding a job in my field in Quebec, so it is not just you.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
Your post made me think of this...

Ten Reasons You Should Never Get a Job:

http://www.stevepavlina.com/blog/2006/07/10-reasons-you-shou...


Wow! Someone needs to teach this person a lesson in rhetoric. Calling your readers idiots and morons is probably not the best means of convincing them that you are right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
McDonald's is usually hiring.

The Engineer asks: how does it work
The physicist asks: why does it working
The philosopher asks: Do you want french fries with it
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike McDrunk
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ycyclop wrote:
Burnham wrote:
McDonald's is usually hiring.

The Engineer asks: how does it work
The physicist asks: why does it working
The philosopher asks: Do you want french fries with it


I think you mean Liberal Arts Major instead of philosopher (and yes I have a liberal arts masters so I can relate).

"Would you like to Super Size that?"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilad Yarnitzky
Israel
Reut
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcdrunk wrote:

I think you mean Liberal Arts Major instead of philosopher (and yes I have a liberal arts masters so I can relate).

"Would you like to Super Size that?"


mm, actually you are correct, but I have a friend who studied philosophy and we kept laughing with him (hell, who am I kidding, laughing at him) about this so automatically that what came to my mind.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schmidt
United States
Saint Marys
Ohio
flag msg tools
Make sure your resume is up-to-date and relevant. This first typical "gate" to get through is the opportunity for your resume to stand out and be noticed. Most larger entities have someone from HR who weeds out the also-rans from their "short list."

Have peers, teachers and professionals review your resume and have them be hyper-critical. Strike out what is distracting or confusing. Eliminate the jobs that don't show growth or relevance to your professional position you're looking to fill.

Avoid having your resume coming off as odd. I love collecting and playing games but my resume section for "interests" have always listed golf, sports, and movies. I would rather game than these three other hobbies but what's the chance I'll meet a fellow BGG as my boss? Stick with the mainstream interests in both your resume and any interviews. Hit them with gaming after you're hired.

Customize your resume to the job your applying for. Keep most of the body the same but make sure your cover sheet and any personal goals coincide with the open position and the hiring company. Simply said, put yourself in their shoes and write what you would want to see if you were doing the hiring.

Got the interview? Besides the normal etiquette suggestions, research as much as you can on the potential employer; nothing impresses them more and it also shows the dedication and methodology you may employ if you get the job. Also, stay mainstream and avoid explaining how your worker-placement Agricola strategy could save the company money or that your schedule for the summer months needs to be handled carefully so you can attend three conventions.

I'm sorry I don't know of any open position for you though. Good hunting and remember that the job of finding a job is a full-time job. Spend your eight hours submitting resumes, gaining job skills, networking, cold calling, and hopefully interviewing. I thought your post here was great; why not throw the net out?

Good luck, Kevin

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Nikolaidis
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Everyone is from somewhere else.
badge
I Love Fried Chicken.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do this --> http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2009/08/02/jobless_n...

outside of that, have you used any Alumni groups? I'm guessing that you are a recent grad. Typically I dont see recent grads tap into Alumni groups. If you havent you should give it a try, a great place to network. Unfortunately who you know counts as much as what you know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.