Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Clinch
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
# previous game in chain Cartagena

Ahhh Lifeboats! (we’d had a few drinks by now) and the players involved were the 2 Paul’s, 2 Pete’s (Fatboy & me), Ed & Hannah. You can’t take it too seriously because it’s game of backstabbing where you know who your friends aren’t!! I had seen it on Geek and it reminded me of Mall of Horror (one of my faves) so was looking forward to it already.

Simple premise; the boat has sunk so everyone heads for the Lifeboats (luckily there are enough), in fact there’s one per player plus an extra one for good measure. Each lifeboat can hold the same number of crew (either sailors or officers) but you don’t want to put all your eggs in one basket so to speak! The objective is to get the lifeboats across the board by mutual consent to 1 of 3 scoring islands. A lifeboat which makes it then disembarks its crew, and points are scored. Officers (which each player has 2 of) are worth more.

Each round has a 3 phases, ‘Spring a Leak’, ‘Move Ship’ and ‘Jump Ship’. During the first 2 negotiations take place in order to influence the outcome. This is where players gang up to try and get the best result for themselves whilst appearing to be giving others a helping hand. When a boat is chosen for a leak, if there is an empty space then it’s not so bad. But if the boat is full, someone is thrown overboard!! This is where the fun begins. Usually an officer will get tossed overboard; this is done by each player simultaneously playing a card of the colour they are voting for. The player who receives the most votes (and this is not a popularity contest) chooses a piece to lose.

However, each player also has a number of Captain cards which act as veto’s; unless more than one is played in the same round. After leaking and moving, comes the phase where one of your men jumps into the sea from a perfectly good boat!? Starting with the first player, each selects one of their men to swim from one boat to another, by first placing him behind the boat. This is done in clockwise order, then once all players have chosen- the last player chooses the boat he will swim to. This then proceeds anti-clockwise, then only condition is that you cannot get back in the boat you came from. This may leave you with no choice but to get in a very leaky boat! Going last gives you the best vantage point, as you have seen the others jump out and have free choice of which to get into. Boats will sink if there are more leaks than occupants, which inevitably means not all the boats are going to make it to the islands.

If you think its fun to feed your buddies to the sharks, then you’ll love this game. Some subtle decisions –like when to play your Capt’ and which boat to jump out of makes this a great game to play, even if I did lose badly. IIRC Paul F won, by keeping very quiet- you can’t trust the quiet ones!!arrrh

Ed then fancied a heavier game and suggested Indonesia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.