Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been a while since I've written a session report on the glorious kaijufest that is Monsterpocalypse. And with the great new additions of All Your Base expansion, what better excuse to sit down and write a new one.

You'll have to forgive some of the hazy details. It's been a week or two since this game took place, but I figured it was a good chance to give some impressions of some of the new elements introduced into the game.

I was playing Xaxor from the I Chomp NY expansion. This was my first chance to play with the gravity manipulating Planet Eater, and I really enjoy the raw destructive strategy of the faction. I selected a handful of units, all Planet Eaters, all from the various expansions. I really enjoy the look of the Planet Eaters all around, and the new units are no exception. My forces were composed of Explodohawks, Constrictors, and a new favorite, the Explodomite! I also had a comet shard installation for the Planet Eaters, which looks just nifty.

My opponent had the metamorph monster Legionnaire, along with a G.U.A.R.D. installation and several new units (backed by the always reliable G.U.A.R.D. G-Tanks and Rocketchoppers.

The set up: Yes, I know it's not important, but I love thinking of every Monsterpocalypse game like a mini-movie. So in this case, a comet shard falls to earth. Its weird energies attract all the nearby Planet Eaters. Fortunately, G.U.A.R.D. has a base nearby and launches an assault to repel this alien attack.

Let the battle commence.

The battle started simply enough. The interesting thing about the metamorph monsters is that their alpha form is actually four unit sized morpher forms. The rules are a little more complex than a regular monster, but not much more. Basically, the four morpher figures are halfway between units and monsters. Each morpher moves like a unit, can secure buildings and objective points like units, and can use power dice like monsters. However, morphers can't pull off power attacks and are themselves still subject to power attacks from enemy monsters. Although they are immune to stomps and swats and other crush-style attacks.

Really, morphers are just souped up units. They lose some monster abilities, but they gain some advantages as well. Namely, a versatility that single form monsters can't pull off. Individually, morpher monsters are capable of dealing with most units easily. Combined, they are a threat to enemy monsters.

Legionnaire's morpher units are two tanks and two jets. Each of these units are solid, and together, they can really put a hurt on anything that gets in their way.

Xaxor is a more traditional monster, but he has some tremendously handy abilities. Especially when it comes to boosting units. Best among these is his ability to give Jump to all of his Planet Eater units. Yes, with Xaxor on your side, even the grounded Planet Eater units are able to bound across the board with ease. Something that turned out to be incredibly useful.

Installations are basically buildings. The advantage they have is that all installations of your faction are automatically controlled by you and they usually bestow great perks. To balance this, they can be seized by your opponent like any building, and should they be destroyed, you can never gain any power dice for destroying a building of your faction. Each side had one installation.

Okay, enough with the background. Let's get to it.

The battle started simply as both sides moved into position. Legionnaire's four morpher forms split off. The two tanks rolled down the center of the map while the two jets soared down the left side. Meanwhile, Xaxor and his units bound forward. The battle was pretty hectic in the beginning as both sides struggled to gain a power die advantage. The G.U.A.R.D. units and monsters had a bit of an advantage at repelling the Planet Eaters. But containment wasn't easy, and the normally fearless Rocketchoppers found themselves menaced by the gravity-defying, charging Constrictors!

Eventually, Xaxor made his move. He jumped into the action, grabbed Gladius 2, and slammed the jet into a building. He followed this up with a fierce brawling attack against Gladius 1. Attacks were traded back and forth for a bit, but eventually, the G.U.A.R.D. morphers decided to join up into the fearsome Legionnaire robot!

Legionnaire has one of the handiest Brawl Triggers I've yet seen. It's called Toss and it allows him to throw a monster after any successful brawl attack. Pretty handy. Legionnaire batted Xaxor across the map a couple of times, but the Planet Eater wasn't easily discouraged. Especially since the Comet Shard installation was feeding him a steady diet of power dice.

Xaxor's alpha form was knocked out, and he switched to his enraged ultra. Since at this point I was near my opponent's side of the map, I decided it would be beneficial to get rid of that pesky G.U.A.R.D. installation. (Radar was allowing his units to blast me with impunity.) So with a mighty leap, followed by a tremendous Stomp, the installation, another building, and several units were destroyed. Bristling with power dice now, Xaxor was ready for a comeback.

With Planet Eaters screening Legionnaire, preventing the Earth robot from getting in close, and a string of blast attacks, Xaxor was able to turn the tide. Legionnaire took enough damage to destroy his ultra form and was forced to divide and conquer. The end was drawing near, and it was still anybody's battle.

Xaxor benefited from a nearby Muncher unit to eat G.U.A.R.D. units and regain health. Meanwhile, the four morphers of Legionnaire's alpha form unleashed a coordinated attack that knocked Xaxor down. In the end, both monsters were down to 1 or 2 hits, and the next successful attack would win the game. Xaxor tried to hold out against the assault, ready to blast his way to victory on his turn.

But it was not to be.

So Xaxor was defeated. Gladius 1, Gladius 2, Shield 3, and Shield 4, badly dented and probably in need of a new paint job, rolled off to victory. Disaster was averted. Well, kind of. Most of the city block was reduced to rubble, and G.U.A.R.D. had suffered some terrific losses. But, hey, it could've been worse. And you can't save the city without breaking a few buildings.

Anyway, as always, this was a blast. I didn't find that the new metamorph monster was either overpowered or underpowered than the more traditional Xaxor. Just different, and a cool, well-implemented idea. Also, the installations were another fun addition.

Another great Monsterpocalypse battle. Hope you enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice report. I see a rematch coming sometime in the future in my own line of reports, as I work my way through my collection,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marble
msg tools
You mentioned playing pure planet eaters, and I don't think there are any Planet Eater units that grant Munch. Chompers grant the Feeding Frenzy trigger, not Munch.

PE core design seems to be incredible power balanced by lack of ability to respond to monster attrition, which is why this stuck out to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Jones
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Each morpher moves like a unit, can secure buildings and objective points like units, and can use power dice like monsters.

Am I forgetting a rule? What are power dice good for besides making power attacks (which we both agree morphers cannot do)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use them:

To change your alpha form to ultra/mega/whatever.
To add to regular brawl/blast attacks of the monster.
To power attacks (as you said)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hwango wrote:
Quote:
Each morpher moves like a unit, can secure buildings and objective points like units, and can use power dice like monsters.

Am I forgetting a rule? What are power dice good for besides making power attacks (which we both agree morphers cannot do)?

Power dice can be added to any monster attack, not just power attacks. It's a very important rule that's mentioned I think only once clearly in the rulebook. I know I missed it the first couple times I read through the rules, and only caught it when I read reports of monster brawl or blast attacks adding P dice in.

Morpers can use up to 2 P dice each in an attack, making combined morpher attacks a must against most other monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Power Dice can be added to ANY monster attack, even regular old brawl / blast attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Jones
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes, thanks to everyone clarifying that for me! I've only ever played with a couple of friends, and none of us realized Monsters could add power dice to any attack. Things make so much more sense, now. I'd often wondered how some Monsters were ever supposed to hit one of the other Monsters with a high defense with some of their crappy Brawl/Blast scores. The fact that they can add power dice to those attacks explains everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It also makes Negation not quite as powerful. After all, if you could only spend power dice on power attacks, then the Ultra Ares Mothership becomes almost invincible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.