United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Since a new company cannot earn any revenue the first turn it operates, does the share price always go down during the "Paying Dividend" step that first turn?

Please forgive my ignornace. This is my first 18xx game ever. Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
voynix wrote:
Since a new company cannot earn any revenue the first turn it operates, does the share price always go down during the "Paying Dividend" step that first turn?

Yes, it falls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It pays a zero dividend, which means you flip to 'left' as seen from the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick responses. I don't really umderstand the "flip to the left" though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
voynix wrote:
Thanks for the quick responses. I don't really umderstand the "flip to the left" though?

It is a clarification that references the fact that most (1830-branch) 18xx use a 2-dimensional market (looks sort of like a spread sheet), rather than Steam Over Holland's 1-dimension line of values. In games with 2D markets, values can move in four directions (right, left, up, down). The usual movements:

Right: Company paid a dividend
Left: Company didn't pay a dividend
Down: Down one row per share sold
Up: Only if 100% of the company is in player hands

You may notice that there are a lot more ways for share values to decrease than increase. This is not an accident.

The flipping portion is a reference to a fairly standard bit of protocol. As a company operates, its stock market token is moved and then turned upside down to indicate that it has already operated. The Operating Round will end when all stock markers are upside down, indicating that all companies have operated. The markers will then be turned right-side up, ready for the next round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Poole
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Udu Wudu
badge
Udu Wudu
mbmbmbmbmb
wow, I am very new to the whole 18xx genre. I really enjoyed my first game of SoH, though my wife kicked my butt. I didn't catch the above wuestioned rule until afterward, but I think we played everything else correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game was also my first 18xx, 1,5 weeks ago . We played with 5. Good to know it is ok with 2 players as well .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.