Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

You Robot» Forums » Rules

Subject: I think I need some programming assistance... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up this game - looks fun and rather quirky.

I don't quite get how to use the cards to program your robot. For example, how would I go about getting the robot to do pushups, just by tapping or rotating the command cards?

Is this legal programming to get a robot to get on it's knees?
- tap "full sized robot" card
- then tap the "knee" joint on that card
- then tap the arrow and point it "down" to get robot to bend the knee,
- repeat for other knee, etc.

I guess what I'm asking is can you specifically point to body parts. I'm hoping so, otherwise this game looks very difficult!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tang
Malaysia
KL
WP
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I think thats legal (at least when we played). We even allowed small gestures with the arrow card, because if not the game really becomes too difficult.

But as with all party games, I think its okay to bend the rules a little as long as everyone's having fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is definitely on the top of my "I can't get to a game convention because I live in Japan - will SOMEBODY PLEASE put a demonstration video online?" list!

Montebanc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Franklin
United States
Milton
Washington
flag msg tools
He sees you when you're sleeping; he knows when you're awake ...
badge
He knows if you've been bad or good.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
montebanc wrote:
This game is definitely on the top of my "I can't get to a game convention because I live in Japan - will SOMEBODY PLEASE put a demonstration video online?" list!

Montebanc


I don't have a DEMO, but I do have some video of the game in play.

It's not the BEST video ever, but you should be able to get the idea.

I have a small handful of You Robot videos up if you poke around YouTube a bit.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trond Braut
Norway
Stavanger
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the people in the video is playing it wrong. You shouldn't move the cards around like that bearded guy does, just keep it still and tap it. Makes it harder.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tbraut wrote:
I think the people in the video is playing it wrong. You shouldn't move the cards around like that bearded guy does, just keep it still and tap it. Makes it harder.


True, but on the other hand this is a party game, where the goal is to have fun. You can decided beforehand that it is allowed to do this, to make the game a bit easier.

It has to be said that it is quite difficult to get your robot to understand what you are doing, and I might get frustrating, so why not allow some card movement ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hanley
Canada
Dorval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
tbraut wrote:
I think the people in the video is playing it wrong. You shouldn't move the cards around like that bearded guy does, just keep it still and tap it. Makes it harder.


True, but on the other hand this is a party game, where the goal is to have fun. You can decided beforehand that it is allowed to do this, to make the game a bit easier.

It has to be said that it is quite difficult to get your robot to understand what you are doing, and I might get frustrating, so why not allow some card movement ?


This makes the game TOO easy. The rules are very clear... you aren't allowed to make any gestures with the cards. The guy in the video wasn't even USING the cards. Playing it that way is like playing charades by spelling the answer out loud to your teammate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so.....I guess from the response to the video I want to ask again. Does anybody have a video on YouTube of people playing this by the rules? Cause I'd like to **see it in action** to understand what it looks like when played according to the designer's idea.

Montebanc
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Yaremchuk
msg tools
Me too.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Yakowenko
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Me too. Bought it, but after reading through the rules it seemed unplayable. I'd love to know what the designer had in mind.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamethyme wrote:
montebanc wrote:
This game is definitely on the top of my "I can't get to a game convention because I live in Japan - will SOMEBODY PLEASE put a demonstration video online?" list!

Montebanc


I don't have a DEMO, but I do have some video of the game in play.

It's not the BEST video ever, but you should be able to get the idea.

I have a small handful of You Robot videos up if you poke around YouTube a bit.



*shudder* surprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.