Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Duplantis
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I am having an issue with money in games. I just don't like paper money very much. The only games where money is even used though in my collection is Power Grid and soon-to-be Steam. Money is used so much in these games that I am considering purchasing an alternative. I don't really want to spend a fortune on good poker chips, but I don't want chip plastic chips either. I am also considering making an ArtsCow purchase with just custom made money on them.

In you guy's experiences, what is the best alternative to paper money and where is a good online dealer for such a purpose.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use VP chips from another game if there are enough to meet your needs.

Edit: Steam doesn't use paper money. It has cardboard coins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Poker chips.

Diamond chips are quite good and can be had for about 7cents a piece with a little searching. A 100 chip set (see the links from my profile) will suffice for almost all German-style games. If that's not enough, see the 300-chip distribution I use. That handles everything except the largest 18xx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
Pad and paper, then keep a running tally. No muss, no fuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott Nicholson did a video review of poker chips that you might find useful...

http://www.boardgameswithscott.com/?p=32
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poker to Go may be the solution for you.
Search for it on eBay.
A set of about 300 chips will only set you back about $18 shipped!
They're awesome and portable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Petro
United States
INDIAN TRAIL
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal coins!

1.) Use real money, especially foreign coins, if you find something you like.

2.) There are also these: http://store1.campaigncoins.com/index.php/individual-coins.h...

3.) I've been thinking of getting some metal tokens from here: http://www.tokensdirect.com/

4.) A search for 'slot machine tokens' will also yield some interesting options for metal coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These Euro Jeton poker plaques look awesome: http://www.europokerchips.com/magento/index.php/dal-negro-po...

(Though they are quite expensive.)

I am currently considering some clay-composite chips, but it's hard to shop online since I can't tell what the texture or weight feels like. I need to find a nearby shop with some variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| Scott Kinzie |
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think artscow cards are the way to go...

I think poker chips take away the thematic feel of using banknotes so cards seemed a good compromise between non-thematic poker chips and much-too-thin-and-easily-destroyed paper money. I got these printed at artscow.com. I left out any monetary unit so that these could be used in a wide range of games.

A UK themed banknote set:

And a more generic banknote set:

You can see the full range of denominations of both sets in my gallery:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/images/user/25803
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
From the recommendations to use poker chips for 18xx, I got myself this set, with 500 composite/clay (11.5g) chips in standard poker colors - white, red, blue, green, black. (1/5/10/25/100, in reasonable distributions.) That was $40, plus shipping, and includes an aluminum case.

I also ordered 2 additional rolls, directly from ChipsAndGames - 1 black, 1 purple (500) - the rolls are $5 for 50 chips. (These will go in the aluminum case too, where the playing cards were.)

They weigh a bit, so shipping adds up. I think it was $15 for the set from Amazon, and almost $10 for the add-on (better included in the original shipment).

They're relatively plain - just the triple-crown design and rim-striping. (My wife didn't like the nicer ones - eg from Bluff King - which have girls in bikinis on sports cars.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Scheiderich
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot or workable ideas here. The mini Meeple chips have a size and weight advantage.

PJCC Worldwide http://www.pjcccustomizedpokerchips.com/index.htm was selling nice solid color chips with a Steamboat logo along with denomination. I picked up a large set at GenCon which saved a small fortune in ship costs and then some add-ons a year later. 'pears they are mo longer available - I had been hoping for a Train logo..cry

Two Three questions/thoughts:

1 Some time ago I ran across a website that was making high quality paper money - but in odd denominations. I thought I BM'd the site but have not found it again. This appeared to be good quality paper - more akin to actual currency (probably explaining the oddball denoms). Anyone else run across this site?

2 While the European chips are nice they are few in denomination and pricey. Has anyone ever run across a rounded edge chip - maybe an 1" square (~25mm for the rest of the world) with solid colors and denominations?

Such an item would be far more portable while retaining the feel of real chips. Next stop is the Meeple chips but they just feel not right for a rail tycoon to use...

3 Why must the chips be round, at least here in the US? Any history?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.