Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Isaak
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a warm up game of Stone Age, our table of four had a brief discussion about what to do next...Race, Bohnanza...but I was most excited about the shrink-wrapped box I knew was hiding under my friend's chair. We pulled out Small World, yet un-punched, and proceeded to tear it apart.

Our group was pretty rowdy, and looking back, I feel pretty bad for our board leader, Pete. While the three of us grabbed the punch boards, yelled out the titles and mispronounced the names while trying to shove the pieces into the small plastic tray, Pete desperately tried to corral us into some semblance of order and give us a broad idea of the game.whistle

We laid out the chips and Pete repeated, for about the fourth time, the basic rules. Noah decided to interrupt with a story about his cat. B asked if the Giants were literally larger, and Jen and I talked quietly about our plans to take over the World.

We made it through the first round with a fair amount of ease. It seemed clear that you can't do that well your first few games since we weren't really sure why we would want the combinations available. There weren't any bids for better Races the first round, and we tried with what we got without paying.

I had Dragon Skeletons, which turned out to be a great match. Since Skeletons benefit you with taking over occupied territory, I was always guaranteed one territory with the Dragon, and could easily get more from increasing my Skeletons. Other players spread out, and went through two placements before Declining. I was last to Decline, though the Noah regretted his choice to keep his Ghouls Race alive more than one round, since they are pretty beneficial while in Decline.

The chaos continued through about three rounds, when we realized we were out of time. I didn't even get to place my final conquering attack! cry This was also aided by Noah's ten-minute long deliberation about where to place even though we knew the game was ending...shake

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the game quite a bit, and was hooked for more. I managed to borrow a copy for the weekend, and am hoping to get a full few games in so I can decide if this one is for me to buy.

What I learned from my first game:
Great art, good design, and good production
Fun characters, fast moving
Needs a few games to get to know the combinations
Varies every time...I really appreciate this aspect and am looking forward to seeing how that affects the game
Never try to teach four rowdy players Small World if you're hoping to end it within an hour. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.