Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Bates
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
Okay, two rules questions came up in my current game of Cosmic Encounter:

1. Tripler plays Attack 12, and the opponent plays Morph. Does Morph copy the 12 value, or the post-tripled 4 value? We ruled that Morph acts first (duplicating the 12 value), then Tripler affects the original card (dividing it by 3 to equal 4). This makes sense both from a gameplay perspective (that the alien power is more “unique”), and from a card-text perspective (since Morph duplicates the value “when revealed,” and Tripler adjusts the value “after you reveal an attack card”). Thoughts?

2. The same player used Precursor Seed to gain a second alien power, Calculator, which may be used to equalize the high and low card values. So, if that player attacks with 3, and his opponent plays 15, which happens first?

a) Tripler causes attack 3 to become attack 9, then can equalize to reduce 15 down to 6, so Tripler/Calculator wins 9 to 6; or

b) Calculator reduces 15 down to 12, then triples 3 up to 9, so Tripler/Calculator loses 9 to 12?

Personally, I think that A is the proper sequence of events, since the Tripler power is mandatory, and the Calculator power is optional. I would think that mandatory powers occur before optional ones, but I don’t know of a rule to support this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Morph copies the card played, not what happens to the card, so it would be a 12. If Tripler had played the Morph, he could then modify its value with his power.

I don't think there's any precedence for mandatory vs optional... once an optional power is invoked, it's as valid and impactful as a mandatory one, so I doubt that would inform the ruling. It is a curious and fun pair up.

It would be my guess that Calculator's effect would happen first. Tripler's power is based on a final value, whereas Calculator modifies a value to reach a new final. But, that's just my take on it. You could also reach this conclusion by going alphabetically, which is even less likely to be the way to decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bates
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
After reading the powers more closely, I don’t know that you can distinguish between “final value” and “a new final”; It seems like both powers affect the card played. However, since Calculator has to be decided before cards are revealed (I didn’t notice that part on first read), it seems to make more sense that the Calculator would declare the equalize, cards are revealed, the equalization occurs, and THEN the Tripler power goes into effect. It makes more sense to treat the Calculator power as atomic, instead of allowing Tripler to take place in the middle.

In the game I played, it worked thusly: Calc/Trip declared equalize. He played 14, and his opponent played 4. Without the equalize, this would have resulted in 14/3 = 5 vs. 4. But since equalize was declared, the result was 14 equalized to 10, which then tripled to 30, so Calc/Trip won 30 to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bates
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
And by the way, thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.