Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As in all my other reviews, I’ll skip the rules explanation part, as other folks have already written good detailed reviews covering that part.

In hindsight this last sentence may make this review looks that it is neither good nor detailed, but I will let you be the judge of that.

In EVE, you score Victory Points (the all-present VP) by grabbing planets with a special marker on them (boring) or destroying other people outposts (fun). There are other conditions to be met, but that’s basically it: expand as much as you can to pocket some VP, and when that’s not an option anymore, attack your neighbor!

I will start with what I think is great about the game and go downhill from that.

GREAT STUFF!

1. Most of the production values. The quality of the plastic components, the board and the artwork are all great. The illustrations of the planets on the board are quite nice and you won’t even be able to see them during most of the game, as the poker chips will be covering everything. I even like the poker chips and they work better than miniatures on this particular case, as they have to be stacked.

Good ideas!

1. The calendar . The turn system is quite interesting (if not completely original, as similar mechanisms appeared in other games). You can choose a simple action and play again very quickly, or you can upgrade this action to act later in the turn sequence. In practice, the decisions around the calendar are not that difficult and you do mostly the same action over and over, but you will occasionally change things to better accommodate your strategy and, more important, it is fun.

Oops...

1. The combat system and the special cards deck. Opponents choose their dice secretly (among three different types of dice: attack, defense and tactics) and, if you have more "agents" infiltrated in the enemy lines you get to ask how many dice of one kind the other person will throw. It is interesting, but in the end I thought it was too much dependent on luck, tactical choices be damned. The dice needed to be backed up by the special cards and the cards sure try to, but they are most lame and inconsequential.

In games like Dust, the dice rolled are backed up by great cards that can avert a bad roll with clever play. In EVE, if you roll a bunch of blanks (and you will), you are on your own, because the weak card that gives you one more point of attack will be no help at all.
When you are throwing 8, 10 or 15 dice at once, you need powers that are equally epic: The time machine: rerrol all blanks, The anti-matter cannon: shields are treated as damage and damage are treated as shields, Captain Kirk: all tactical dice played by your opponent are cancelled.

In fact, I think the cards would have to affect the game landscape more greatly also: Meteor Shower: destroy all outposts in all green planets, Wormhole: you can attack a stack of chips anywhere in the board, The Graviton Device... Oh, well, you got the idea.

The problem is that, combat wise, the game is very much like risk - you can turtle yourself in one corner of the board and, if you are lucky enough, you just need to keep pulling political cards of the color of your nebula, scoring lots of points in the process (those cards define which places are worth points). Other players can go after you, but the combat system, as it is, can’t really disrupt things when the results are average, and when they aren’t, the results can be simply catastrophic. The card examples I gave might seem at first glance unbalanced (and some really are), but they would give real options and a fighting chance if lady luck is not smiling on you.

I will also backup the other reviewers that said that the cardboard material on the political landscape cards and the special cards should be thicker or more resistant.

Other problem with the combat is that you can sometimes loose too much when attacking (defender can occupy your territory if they annihilate you! So, attacking preemptively to defend an outpost is almost suicide), so you will not attack that often, adding to the length of the game and to the importance of the attacks you actually do - which would be great, if you could have some control over the outcome. I’m not asking too much here, a simple reroll would suffice!

2. The political landscape: To make things worse, the places that are worth points are also decided randomly and some areas of the map can have lots of activity (normally where the guy that is winning the game is) and others will be deserted.

3. The color scheme: It is not exactly intuitive (a chit that’s 80% red can be actually green), but you can get used to it. The turn marker should’ve had two colors, though: the main peace should have been on the color of your poker chips and they should have a ring with the action color on its bases.

The Ugly:

1. Too much luck: between the dice, the Political Landscape and the special cards that you draw, luck is really present. Your mileage may vary, but be prepared to be trounced by the lucky guy, regardless of your clever tactics. Don’t get me wrong, the game has some nice tactical and strategic decisions to be made and the better player will have his share of victories, but the worse can happen a little too often for my tastes and, specially, because the game is...

2. Too long: I don’t mind a two hour dicefest, but EVE can easily reach the 4-hour mark and, although the rules allow shorter games, you really need the 3-year length to get some interesting things going on (coordinated attacks, epic battles, enough point cards on the hands of the players, etc.). I also found that the play for VP endgame option can be very tricky, because, as the points are too dependent on where the "good" planets will be, even a "shorter" 15 VP point game can drag for hours.

3. The theme: It has no connection with the RPG, it doesn’t even feel like a space game. It could easily be a land grabbing Wild West game with the outposts being mining operations (gold, silver and ore mines). Like in Supernova, a huge dose of personality is lacking: variable races powers (and more races too choose from) and different technologies trees would be great, as the underlying mechanics are interesting enough, but too discrete to be remarkable.

4. The "agent" placement: agents must go on the botton of the chit pile as per the "variation" sugested by Bleech Lizzard here on BGG, placing them on the top of the pile just makes everything look a bit more confusing.

The Veredict:
Despite all its problems, EVE succeeds in the fun department. Mostly because, in the end, it is sexy and charming. It is fun to move your little pieces on the calendar and, if you can control your frustration, there are some really interesting decisions to make.
Will I play it again? Yes, but with conditions (the right gang, on a rainy day, etc.).
In any case, if you are looking for a Risk with a lot more consideration on unit placement and dressed in a pretty space costume, look no further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this recently and won, but that was due to my last turn grabbing a set of planets, then having the next turned up cards being two planets I already had outposts on, catapulting me past the leader.

I didn't feel like this was a satisfactory win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
I played this recently and won, but that was due to my last turn grabbing a set of planets, then having the next turned up cards being two planets I already had outposts on, catapulting me past the leader.

Yeah, the endgame can be very anticlimatic due to things like that. And after long hours playing it can be very frustrating...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François BINCH
Switzerland
flag msg tools
Hello there,
thanks for the nice review, it indeed makes sense to skip the overall description to focus on the game's specials.

I would like then to have - if possible, and if it make sense to put it in this thread - a list of equivalent games, with their specials.

I can give an example:

Twilight Imperium - huge, complete (strategy, politics, battles, luck (!), bargains), lots of game material, sci-fi ambience

thanks in advance !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Effendi, Eve is definitely no Twilight Imperium. In fact, it is almost an abstract game with a pasted on space theme and some cool combat dice added to the gameplay.

For that space combat feel I would recommend TI (as you mentioned), Starcraft and maybe Nexus Ops. But keep in mind that both Starcraft and Nexus Ops (and specially Nexus Ops) don't have the same scope of TI.

Eve, however, reminded me of Supernova because of two aspects:
1. Races trying to grab land on the board as quickly as possible;
2. Lack of a strong theme.

However, the card combat in Supernova is much more interesting, which is odd for me to say, since I love dice laugh

I don't know if I addressed your concerns but if you have more specific questions please feel free to ask away.

Best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:

Did you grab a set of planets, turn over two new cards, and grab a second set of planets in the same Development turn?

If so, you aren't allowed to grab more than one pair of planets per Development turn. You would've had to have waited until your next Development turn to grab the second set.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David De Kruif
Netherlands
flag msg tools
The random way of making plants worth points is not all that bad. If you look at it from the eve point of vieuw, those planets just revieled could containt valuable ore or hidden knowledge that no one noticed previously making them verry valuable for people to collect.

The randomness of plants being valuable all of a sudden makes sure people go on the offensive in order to get to those locations.

Dont forget that in order to claim locations you need to have an outpost on it. And having more outposts means you can claim more, but it also means that you are more vulnerable to attacks from other players who can destroy your outposts and steal your points from you.

Its not perfect indeed and the combat system is indeed in need of some tweeking but in overal i find the balance of what i wrote above verry good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deathdestruktor wrote:

The randomness of plants being valuable all of a sudden makes sure people go on the offensive in order to get to those locations.

I think that what bothered me is that it is not random enough. The new place is chosen by the guy that just cashed in the points and he ought to choose somewhere nearby his troops and outposts.

The areas are big enough that you can't guarantee that the planet will be very close to the bulk of your troops, but it is not uncommon that a "good" planet is spawned just behind enemy lines, giving some easy points and even the victory to someone.

But I do agree that the balance of constructing the right combination of outposts (in type and number) is a nice feature of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.