Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Hive» Forums » General

Subject: Hanto now being advertised on BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Harley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did John and the Hanto guy make up?

I never would have expected to see Hanto get prominently advertised on BGG. (ads by google)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanto?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
Hanto?


I Phone game that uses Hive mechanics.

Read more about it here.

Edit: corrected link to point to boardgame subdomain
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

But why is that discussed in the rpg geek website and not here???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
taragalinas wrote:
Thanks!

But why is that discussed in the rpg geek website and not here???


It's not, but I was on RPGg as I copied it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Yianni
United Kingdom
Potters Bar
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo_Boy wrote:
Did John and the Hanto guy make up?

I never would have expected to see Hanto get prominently advertised on BGG. (ads by google)


I just want to make this clear to all Hive fans.
Hanto is NOT endorsed by us, it is NOT Hive and has nothing to do with us.
The official Hive iPhone game is progressing fantastically, we are very pleased.
It will be ready soon and we will be advertising it on the BGG when it is.

Thanks to all
John Yianni
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Four Two wrote:
I just want to make this clear to all Hive fans.
Hanto is NOT endorsed by us, it is NOT Hive and has nothing to do with us.
The official Hive iPhone game is progressing fantastically, we are very pleased.
It will be ready soon and we will be advertising it on the BGG when it is.

Thanks to all
John Yianni


Looking forward to it! I'll definitely buy it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hulgan
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got an iphone and I'll be sure to wait for your official version.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gen Four Two wrote:
Demo_Boy wrote:
Did John and the Hanto guy make up?

I never would have expected to see Hanto get prominently advertised on BGG. (ads by google)


I just want to make this clear to all Hive fans.
Hanto is NOT endorsed by us, it is NOT Hive and has nothing to do with us.
The official Hive iPhone game is progressing fantastically, we are very pleased.
It will be ready soon and we will be advertising it on the BGG when it is.

Thanks to all
John Yianni


Maybe look into an Android version of this for us that prefer that sort of thing as opposed to the other sort of thing?
1 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jakal323 wrote:
Gen Four Two wrote:
Demo_Boy wrote:
Did John and the Hanto guy make up?

I never would have expected to see Hanto get prominently advertised on BGG. (ads by google)


I just want to make this clear to all Hive fans.
Hanto is NOT endorsed by us, it is NOT Hive and has nothing to do with us.
The official Hive iPhone game is progressing fantastically, we are very pleased.
It will be ready soon and we will be advertising it on the BGG when it is.

Thanks to all
John Yianni


Maybe look into an Android version of this for us that prefer that sort of thing as opposed to the other sort of thing?


I'd buy it.

Heck, I think even a usable web (HTML5 + AJAX) version without plugins would be great.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Dark NRG wrote:
Hanto on the iPhone is awesome! Thank god the dev for Hanto made it, because I am SURE that John would not be making an official version himself, and would of been clueless to the opportunity on other platforms and media.


Well, I think this is rather insulting to John. John had a browser-launched Java Applet version of Hive in 2001. Considering the state of Java Applets, and the ability of browsers to consistently launch them, at that time - this is not a picture of someone who does not consider other platforms and other media. That makes your "SURE" both extremely arrogant and supremely insulting.

Dark NRG wrote:
Hanto does Hive justice. It's extremely well made, many rule varients, beautiful graphics and music, and kick-butt AI.


I can only assume from that first sentence, that you mean Hanto correctly and appropriatly credits John as the game designer, and Hive as the source of the game play. Anything less would not be doing Hive justice, by any sense of the words - so I am glad to hear that John is getting at least some credit out of this.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't it too bad how the sense of "right and wrong" just seem to be a foreign language to so many people around gaming?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Koehr
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harsh verdicts
@Dark NRG: Gestapo? I think you know zilch about boardgames. I took the liberty to look up that Hanto thread on toucharcade.com, where your postings concerning intellectual property and, even BGG itself, were rather graphic:

Quote:
"And HIVE is not "Genius", it's "obvious". It's not a mechanic like M:TG, Carcassonne, or a Rinzer game.
I could make Apples to Apples or Fluxx clones all day long. (...) What's your parameters for passing judgement? And maybe Jon's

(Rem: he's talking about John Yianni here)
Quote:
an asshole. Sounds like it to me. Assholes can make good games.

In closing, make sure to stop by BoardGameGeek.com and tell your hypocrite buddies I said "hi". And enjoy the dozens of photos of Hive fan/player table clones made of baked clay and steel/brass bolts with gemstones. I'm making one out of foam board, come sue me. You know what? I might just go sell them at the flea market. Yeah, think I will. Probably make more money than Hanto...."


http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=22718&highlig...

Hint: get a grip on your verbal diarrhea, or even better- stick with your videogame buddies. You're not welcome here.



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks, Stephan, for finding that and posting it here. It provides me with a better picture of where this guy was coming from. (I notice that all his responses here are now missing, which probably means he deleted his own account - often a sign that someone realizes that they have been making a fool of themselves.)

I have to say that buried in that quote is a huge compliment (unintended) to John Yianni - at least according to the way I was taught to think about what constitutes "Genius" - or as the writer seem to be using the word - "Brilliant Inspired Thinking" (as in the idea and not the person).

If, after something new is explained, the first thing you say is "how obvious", then it probably really is a "brilliant" bit of thinking. The genius part is in making the leap in the first place, and in making it look simple and obvious after the fact. I don't think some people can actually understand that it is often much harder to make something that looks simple and consistent than it is to put something together with a half-dozen too many convolutions.

If board games have been around for a few thousand years, then John invents Hive, and people say "totally obvious" and yet no one thought of it in all that time - then at least that one bit of thinking is fairly obviously "simply ingenious".
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Antoniou
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's what I thought but he seems to still have some comments in another thread talking about Hanto.

Anyway, the official Hive game will be out very soon I'm told. After playing the beta version, which is fantastic, I guess this Hanto discussion will fade away once people get the chance to play the official game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.