Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The rules don't contain the word "reorganize" or any variations of it.

"You may reorganize your groups freely at the end of your turn."

Does this mean you can just pick up any/all of your Group cards and re-arrange them with no restrictions?

Sounds like an easy way to have a group control an opposite group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Credit to David J. Kelly
badge
This image is not mine – message me if you know who made it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
Does this mean you can just pick up any/all of your Group cards and re-arrange them with no restrictions?

Almost. All your groups still have to fit in your power structure without overlap, and they still have to follow control arrow guidelines.

Quote:
Sounds like an easy way to have a group control an opposite group.

True. Why are you looking to do this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>your groups still have to fit in your power structure without overlap

That brings up another question. What do they mean by "overlap"?

Are you under the impression that all the cards have to physically touch each other, so that the geometry of card size & shape is a factor in fitting them around each other?

The wording of the rule doesn't require TOUCHING, just that the arrows "line up:"

"When you take over a Group, put its incoming
arrow next to an outgoing arrow of its master."

It seems to me that requiring them to touch would slow the game down while people try various combinations of physical arrangement. OTOH leaving some space, and maybe using a "link" token, would speed things up.

The "Link" rule does not explicitly prohibit using link tokens for that purpose.

>Why are you looking to do this?

To move a group closer to the center of my power structure, so it gains the +10 or +5 defense bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jevon Heath
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Credit to David J. Kelly
badge
This image is not mine – message me if you know who made it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
What do they mean by "overlap"?

The cards cannot physically cover each other in your Power Structure. Your citation from the rules indicates that the cards do need to touch. It doesn't slow the game too much; there aren't that many different orientations. Also, there are several cards (e.g. Let's Get REALLY Organized, Dallas Catacombs from INWO SubGenius) that depend on this physical aspect.

Quote:

To move a group closer to the center of my power structure, so it gains the +10 or +5 defense bonus.

That's definitely true and useful. I thought you meant you were specifically looking to have groups control groups of opposite alignment, and I couldn't think of a reason to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
>Your citation from the rules indicates that the cards do need to touch.

No, I interpret "line up" to mean that the outgoing arrow is lined up with an incoming arrow.

It says nothing about the cards needing to be "directly adjacent" to one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll grant you, Dan, that for those of us that have been playing Illuminati/INWO for decades now, that there's definitely an assumption at play here that's not explicit in the rules (the illustration on page 4 aside, and the seemingly-clear admonition and illustration on pages 6-7).

That said, I assure you: cards must be placed into your structure such that the outgoing arrow is adjacent to an incoming arrow. A few of the card effects already mentioned provide strong anecdotal evidence, and the illustration on p. 4 of the rules is definitely the distance that cards are required to be (as in touching) in your power structure. Avoiding overlapping or criss-crossing arrows is definitely a game consideration

Alex Yeager
SJ Games MIB 0230
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think you're thinking too much about this. It doesn't really matter whether the cards touch or if there's a half inch gap between them. The arrangement is going to be the same. And it's going to be obvious when things overlap. Just look at any of the diagrams.

I routinely slide any plots or resources that affect a card underneath that card, exposing only its title. I find this, visually, more useful than links. (Of course, some cards you can't do this with.) This has never affected my organization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
cadavaca wrote:
Gronak wrote:

That's definitely true and useful. I thought you meant you were specifically looking to have groups control groups of opposite alignment, and I couldn't think of a reason to do so.

It could come in handy if you're later planning on unmasking as Cthulu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.