Popular Tags: [View All]
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a player withdraws with honor (FREX in a 4-player game), do his stats still count for determination of player order when scoring the Age III events at the end of the game?

Also, would it affect the action cards that depend upon # of players ahead of one player or how many points are scored for a given card based upon the number of players in the game (i.e. Endowment for the Arts)?

Does this affect the number of cards removed from the card row at the start of a player's turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ermd wrote:
If a player withdraws with honor (FREX in a 4-player game), do his stats still count for determination of player order when scoring the Age III events at the end of the game?

What stats? He withdrew. He's got zero of everything.

Quote:
Does this affect the number of cards removed from the card row at the start of a player's turn?

That is a good question. I forget how we have played it, but it would make sense to me that it would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I reckon if a player withdraws I'd tar and feather him! shake

(I'd decrease card number immediately and remove all his markers, so all cards referring to number of players would count as 3-player game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Agius
United Kingdom
Brentford
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the point of stats, i would agree he has zero for all stats as soon as he leaves regardless of where they were at the point he left.

I'm quite sure the number of cards discarded each turn stay the same based on how many there were at the start of the game and doesn't change. It's how i've always played it, doesn't mean its right though.

I will need to double-check....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denholm
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player honorably withdraws, he does so at the beginning of his turn. This is the first thing - before the card row, before anything. From that point on, *all* aspects of the game are now treated as having the now smaller number of players. Cards removed from the row, points awarded for 1st/2nd/3rd of something, etc.

We had cause to look this up just this weekend at SpoCon. My militarily strong civilization (led by that supreme warrior, Isaac Newton) declared war on James Cook and his 5 colonies. My esteemed opponent chose to withdraw instead of hand me 13 of his yellow tokens.

My civ never reached the culture total he had at the point he withdrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
ermd wrote:

That is a good question. I forget how we have played it, but it would make sense to me that it would.

Yeah, we played it that it that way too. Have no idea if that is correct though. We were split on what to do with pacts (they are not used in 2er games). Do they become dead cards in your hand, or can you discard them and redraw/replace? What about pacts in play..are they cancelled? What about civil action cards marked with a 3+...are they discarded when drawn?

We did not remove any cards. The only thing we changed was the number of cards removed from the row at the beginning of the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rene' Puttin
Germany
Heinsberg
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I do not know if the English rule tells something about handling the withdrawel, but in the German rule it is explicitly stated, that taking away cards at the beginning is done accordingly to the new number of players.

Regards,

Rene'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I haven't gotten to play Through the Ages for a couple of months, the effects of withdrawal on this player are rather severe!

Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce X
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
From that point on, *all* aspects of the game are now treated as having the now smaller number of players. Cards removed from the row, points awarded for 1st/2nd/3rd of something, etc.

We had cause to look this up

Do you have the reference that documents this? I have been unable to find it by searching.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Levy
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's pretty much where you'd expect to find it, in the section on "Leaving the Game Honorably" (p. 18, at least in the second edition rules).

First, it says "Your score will not count and everyone still in the game will finish ahead of you". Based on that, I'd say David's point is undoubtedly correct--their stats are zero for everything, so they'd automatically finish last in each category.

Then, the section says, "When you are adding cards to the Card Row, remove cards from the first positions of the Card Row according to the number of players left in the game". No wiggle room there.

Finally, the only open question is how to treat Event cards whose effect varies with the number of players. Based on the previous two cases, I would say to use the current number of players in the game, but that's a judgment call (unless thorncat has found another reference that I couldn't).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Freedman
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also still like to get an official answer regarding what happens to pacts (when a 3er game is reduced to a 2er).
Pacts in play
Pacts in hand
Pacts drawn from military deck.
Can pacts still be played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raúl Lopezosa
Spain
Almendralejo
Badajoz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

First, it says "Your score will not count and everyone still in the game will finish ahead of you". Based on that, I'd say David's point is undoubtedly correct--their stats are zero for everything, so they'd automatically finish last in each category.

"Your score will not count..." is not the same that "your stats are zero".

If you withdraw, you are out of the game; not in the game with zero. I mean, if player A is out of the game, he is not the waekness... Do you understand I mean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Double Dan wrote:
I would also still like to get an official answer regarding what happens to pacts (when a 3er game is reduced to a 2er).
Pacts in play
Pacts in hand
Pacts drawn from military deck.
Can pacts still be played

I obviously can't give you an "official" answer, but most of the answers seem pretty clear:

1. Pacts with the withdrawn player are obviously cancelled. Pacts between the two remaining players remain in effect, unless one spends a political action to cancel them.

2. Pacts in your hand or that you draw from the deck are useless now.

3. I don't know if you can still play pacts, but it doesn't matter, since they would never be accepted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.