Pussy Katz
msg tools
So, can you do this?

If I have the military to settle a military world, can I discard Doomed World or Colony Ship just for the heck of it and place the military world without using their power, for example?

Can I discard DW/CS and then pay for a peaceful world normally? Alien or otherwise?

Can I discard New Military Tactics but not settle anything? Or settle a peaceful world?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first one - I have no idea, but I'd suspect no, as settling the world is part of the effect.

The second one - I can't imagine a situation in which you would want to do that. (I'd love to hear one if anybody's got one.) I'd guess it's not legal, for the same reason as the first one.

The third one - yes. Notice how the wording here is different from CS/DW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
No. No. Yes. (Search on earlier threads for detailed discussion.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
The first one - I have no idea, but I'd suspect no, as settling the world is part of the effect.

The second one - I can't imagine a situation in which you would want to do that. (I'd love to hear one if anybody's got one.) I'd guess it's not legal, for the same reason as the first one.

The third one - yes. Notice how the wording here is different from CS/DW.

The reason for the second one would be that doomed world is worth -1, so getting rid of it would help you. It could also be a way to avoid hitting 12 if you are going to lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That only makes sense if you're settling an Alien World. Becuase if it's a normal world, you get to keep your cards and acheive your goal: Getting rid of the evil card from your tableau.

Take Doomed World for example: other than Alien worlds, what type of situation would it be useful for you to discard DW and *NOT* use it's power to settle the planet you're putting down? You're getting rid of the card either way, so the -1 can't be a good reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colmenarez wrote:
Take Doomed World for example: other than Alien worlds, what type of situation would it be useful for you to discard DW and *NOT* use it's power to settle the planet you're putting down? You're getting rid of the card either way, so the -1 can't be a good reason.

Say you have a great, inexpensive finishing double-move, but you have a scary handsize full of extraneous cards. Say you also need specific phase(s) to be called by your opponents for your plan to work, phase(s) which have a higher chance of being called if your handsize is smaller...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A situation related to this thread i just found out about: you can discard both Doomed World and Colony Ship to settle the same world.

Edit: source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.