Subject: Go, Frodo, go! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I bought War of the Ring and dug through the rules and the posts here at the geek, I was waiting for a rainy Sunday afternoon with nothing else on my schedule to go ahead and give the game a try. Yesterday, unexpected bad weather smashed our plans to spend some time outside, walking, and I finally convinced my wife to play WotR with me.

Explaining the game components, setting up the board and going through the rules took us almost 2 hours (my wife asked a lot of questions which I had to look up). Now that I have played the game and am comfortable with the basic rules, I guess next time I'm teaching the game to someone I will use a different approach of just setting up the board, giving a rough overview of the goals and important board elements, and then teach the rest "on the go" during the first moves. Like, "okay, this is phase 3, where you put dice into the hunt box. You should add at least one now, but keep enough for the next phase. Go." I have a feeling this will work better.

Since I knew more about the game and strategy, I chose the Free People.

When it came to actually playing the game, the basic gameplay with its 6 turn phases was a no brainer. Almost any question that arose during the game was related to the event cards and the instructions given on them. Our first play required a lot of card reading, since we were unfamiliar with the event deck.

Nevertheless, the game took it's course. The fellowship was off to a slow start, because my wife is a natural when it comes to rolling sixes, and because in round two and three, I rolled no character symbols and forgot about the elven rings. Luckily, the forces of evil had a slow start, too, because Saurons forces stayed a while in Mordor, leaving the dirty work of war to the Southrons and Easterlings approaching Gondor and the dwarfen kingdom.

Pelargir and Dol Amroth fell, raising the spirits of the evil forces. Isengard made a move, attacking Rohan and driving their forces into the stronghold of Helm's Deep. Fortunatly, Rohan wasn't caught unprepared: Due to the fact that I rolled no character dice in two rounds, I spent that time activating Rohan, reinforcing it with event card musterings and moving them down the political track (since I had an event card that brings a Rohan army to Minas Tirith immediately if they are at war).

With an army holding the fortress and a bunch of Rohirrim on the move from Edoras, the threat on Helm's Deep was dissolved, the forces of evil suffered a defeat, and now it was the Rohirrims turn to cross the fords of Isen and threat Orthanc. This lead to the calling of Saruman and the mustering of some elite units there, binding valuable moves of the Shadow. Gandalf the Grey left the fellowship to go to Rohan, aiding the Rohirrim against the head of his order, Saruman the many-colored. Somewhere on the way something happend, and by the time he arrived in Rohan, Gandalf had become Gandalf the White! A second siege of Helm's Deep followed, which took a long time...

Meanwhile, in the north, Strider left the fellowship to acticate the Alliance, moving a force east to face the thread of the Easterlings. Unfortunately, they took quite a beating and were forced to retreat. High in spirit, the Easterlings took the elven stronghold in the Woodland Realm! Strider departed the forces of the humans to try and activate the dwarfes, going to recapture the city of Dale. Alas, too late, too little!

In the south, the shadow, finally awoken in Mordor, called his minions - including the Witch King and the Mouth of Sauron - to smash the rest of Gondor with an all-out-assault on the white city of Minas Tirith. It was quite a battle, but the forces of evil were overwhelming, leaving no hopes for the men of Gondor.

But this victory was treacherous. It took the dark lord too long to muster it's forces against Gondor. A company of 6 (Boromir sacrificed himself against a group of Uruk-Hai somewhere on the Anduin ) arrived in Minas Morgul, carrying with them the One Ring. They made their way to the Crack of Doom!

But their progress came not without a price. A price paid with pain and suffering. One by one, they fell victim to the evil and harsh surroundings, to the hunters of the shadow, to the power of Mordor! Gimli, the dwarf - dead! Legolas, the elf - sacrificed! Pippin - gone! Only three little halflings made it to the Crack. Frodo, corrupted by the power of the ring (I'd say, 11 on a scale of 12), tried to keep it for himself! But the convincing voice of Sam and a backstabbing sneak attack from Merry saved the day, when Merry grabbed the ring from Frodo and threw it in the Crack of Doom in one swift movement.

Boom! Bang! Ouch! The dark lord, Sauron, was defeated, merely minutes before his forces could capture another stronghold of the free people, breaking their forces and their wills forever. It was the courage of the Rohirrim, their strength at Helm's Deep, and the unbendable will of the fellowship to reach Mount Doom, that saved the day for the free people. Sauron, on the other hand, had gone soft with old age, not pressing hard enough to crush the weak military resistance of the Free People.

The game itself took about 4 hours. We forgot about some rules ("whoops, I should have hidden the fellowship now instead of movin it, let's backtrack") and some cards that were in effect ("uhm, the fortress you just took - you can't attack it, it's the elves") now and then, but managed to resolve those things in manners we both could agree on ("let's assume you spent that die there and these two cards to cancel the protection on the elven strongholds").

My wife was exhausted from the long setup and didn't like to read the long texts on the event cards (she said it slowed down the game), but thought the game was "ok, altogether. It will be more exiting once you get to know the cards and their effects". I guess she will play again, but not too soon. Me, on the other hand, now that I have a feeling of knowing what to do, I'd like to play again soon.

My advice to new players: Don't try and be a rules lawyer in your first game. Propably you will forget some details and end up with an army of 12 (only 10 are allowed) at one point during the game, unless you double-check the better part of the rulebook with every move. So what? The game should be about playing, not reading. Grow with the game to get the most out of it, and if in doubt, use the "what if that was a *real* siege"-approach to clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Figilano wrote:
Yesterday, unexpected bad weather smashed our plans to spend some time outside, walking, and I finally convinced my wife to play WotR with me.

"His arm has grown long" cool ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game is generally already seen as favouring the SP. How heavily depends on individual perceptions. As for the SP getting 0 Eyes, that's purely their fault, you can place Eyes into the Hunt Pool before rolls. If they want to put in 0 and hope they roll an Eye, they're welcome to take the chance, but can only look in the mirror if said hope fails. For multiple Eyes, I've seen 4 rolled on 10 dice. There is only 1 Eye side for each die, correct? This can happen, but rarely should.

IMO allowing rerolls would even more heavily shift the balance to the SP, even if you would allow the FP to do the same (many times I've rolled 0 Swords and 2 Palantir + 2 Muster on the first turn).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Excellent report Figilano!

A friend and me played the game yesterday as well. (Yeah, bad weather in Belgium ) We made an earlier try last week (but only 3 turns due to a very long setup and not enough time left that evening) so this was basically our first "real game". I played the FP. The longer it took I was quite convinced that I would win the game with all FP nations at war, a FP siege underway in Dol Guldur, Gondor on the move to Umbar and even some reinforcements preparing to take back the neglected Helms Deep. Frodo moved into Mordor so all was looking good. Too good.

Then disaster struck. Sauron dispelled the "A power to strong" (?) card which allowed him to attack the elven strongholds which I -in my self-confidence- neglected to garrison. The Sauron forces under siege did not break. I ran out of elven rings and almost all I got left where "event dice". The fellowship got a lot of corruption and "stop" results. In the same turn where Frodo finally and with a lucky draw from the hunt pool managed to reach Mount Doom, Sauron captured his 10 point-fortifications. A victory for the FP, but a very small margin indeed.

Needless to say that we both learned a lot. Next game will probably be a lot more tense. I'm really looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pokke wrote:
In the same turn where Frodo finally and with a lucky draw from the hunt pool managed to reach Mount Doom, Sauron captured his 10 point-fortifications. A victory for the FP, but a very small margin indeed. (...) Next game will probably be a lot more tense.

How can it get more tense than that!? ;-)

Funny how the same low-pressure area drove you and us to the table. I'm starting to believe Rauli. Then again, in both games the SP lost, so maybe it wasn't his arm at all. *g*

Thanks for liking my report, and keep playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokke
Belgium
Werchter
optional
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
How can it get more tense than that!? ;-)

Hehe, true.
I chose the wrong words there. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.