Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that really bugged me about the base game was the fact that the mage couldn't actually cast any spells. Clearly that's partly rectified in this expansion, but what if I wanted to use the just the spells and nothing else from the expansion (because of the extra play time)?

I've had the following thoughts/questions:
* Of the base-game characters the mage seemed one of the weakest because he effectively has the same stats as the fighter, but less hit points. So I've wondered about allowing the mage to start with a "free" spell instead of it costing him his starting gold. Does this seem like a good idea, or have I missed something?
* If playing without the expansion boards, where should the mage be able to buy extra spells from? I kind of assumed the large market and the magic trainer without a random draw: i.e. the mage landing on one of those encounters could always buy a spell of his choice for 2 gold instead of the usual effect of that encounter. Does that seem fair? Should the small market be included as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz STEPPONAT
Germany
Wiesbaden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo,
it works, but the mage becomes very strong.
And ...
the mage is not, i repeat, not the weakest charakter in the game. If you play him/she well you ll have a good chance to win. If you prefer a fighter or a cleric, you should not play a mage. As a mage you need good nerves, some luck and a lot of flexibility, a little bit like a dealer on the stock market.
Phantastische Grüße
cool Lutz
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LutzSt wrote:
it works, but the mage becomes very strong.
And ...
the mage is not, i repeat, not the weakest charakter in the game.

Thanks for the reply. I'd still like to use the spells simply because they make the mage feel more like a mage. Do you have any suggestions to help re-balance the game - like making the spells more expensive for example?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.