Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my friends Emma and Rob decided to play some Dominion the other day. We hadn't played in a while, so we decided to produce a completely random selection of cards to form the supply, with each of us choosing 3 sets of cards we each wanted, and selecting the last one as a common choice. This was the set up:

Victory Cards: Province, Duchy, Estate, Gardens.

Actions: Thief, Money Lender, Witch, Chapel, Cellar, Spy, Laboratory, Bureaucrat, Adventurer.

Money: Standard - Gold, Silver, Copper.

Curses: 20 (3-player game).

As it turns out there were virtually no cards that provided extra actions, and nothing to produce extra buys. This resulted in a fast paced game of treasure stealing, curse giving and desperate attempts to purify ones cards through the Chapel. The Thief and Witch cards made very high appearances, while no one at all bought the Laboratory.

Usually we play Dominion with a broad mix of cards, but this provided a very different game. I have to admit that the choices your hand presented were often limited to attack actions and the ability to only buy one (usually cheap) card. However, this required you to carefully plan what cards you required in order to win.

After three of the supply piles were eradicated (Curses, Estates and Witch), the final scores were probably the lowest (and closest!) we have ever seen. I received 17 VPs, Emma got 16 and Rob brought up the rear with 15!

Overall we had a lot of fun playing this insane set up. Gardens were definitely a benefit as the way the game played forced you to finish with 3 empty piles as it was rare to be able to afford a Province. They also went some way to nullifying Curses too. But the one card of the match that no one could do without was the witch - the ultimate attack card in this set up, with no way to stop those Curses flying about devil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sargent
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I played a four-player game on BSW last night. The relevant cards from the set were Chapel, Village, Witch, Militia, and Thief. No Moat. The game ended with the exhaustion of Curses, Estates, and Cellars. Until the last round, no one had bought a province. I could have won with something like three points, if another player had ended the game for me. As it was, the winner finally got three golds into his deck and bought the one province bought that game. His deck was all villages and witches and the three gold. Final winning score: 9 points. It's neat when Dominion spins off the rails like this and you have to deal with unusual situations. We all could have played it a lot better but it's always more challenging to play it live than to think about it later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xTHAWx wrote:
But the one card of the match that no one could do without was the witch - the ultimate attack card in this set up, with no way to stop those Curses flying about devil!

Uh, Chapel? In a witch-heavy, slow game like this, I will buy a 2nd chapel if I have a turn with 2, or even 3, to increase the likelihood of drawing one with curses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this is true - there is a way to burn the Curses and get them in the trash, which we all took advantage of. What I meant was that there was no way to defend against them (i.e. no Moat)- therefore, practically each turn had someone playing the Witch and sending Curses flying at the other players!

KhyrosFinalCut wrote:
xTHAWx wrote:
But the one card of the match that no one could do without was the witch - the ultimate attack card in this set up, with no way to stop those Curses flying about devil!

Uh, Chapel? In a witch-heavy, slow game like this, I will buy a 2nd chapel if I have a turn with 2, or even 3, to increase the likelihood of drawing one with curses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.