Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division» Forums » General

Subject: Compare rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Symoens
Belgium
Grimbergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the difference with the GD serie of games (GD'40 - GD'42) ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand your questions correctly, the answer is that the first game covers the actions of the Unit (the GD) during the years stated. Later games might cover it during later years, although I think the designer is going to pursue other historical units too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Symoens
Belgium
Grimbergen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer Mark, but i meant the difference between the GD-serie of games and this game (FF: GD). Is it the scale ? Is it the detail of the battles ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is no similarities betwen FF:G and GD beyond the theme. Totaly different mechanics.

In GD you give abstract orders like a divisional commander gives at his subortinates and at FF:G you command this lower formations of the division.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
PSYCHO4506 wrote:
Thanks for your answer Mark, but i meant the difference between the GD-serie of games and this game (FF: GD). Is it the scale ? Is it the detail of the battles ?

Oops. I beg your pardon. I didn't know there was such a series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
PSYCHO4506 wrote:

Everything but the theme, I would imagine. I know next to nothing about the GD series for TCS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
PSYCHO4506 wrote:

Oops. I beg your pardon. I didn't know there was such a series.

He is talking about TCS (GD40, GD42, GD42)

Same scale, both platoon level.

GD40 (TCS) etc... id more complex, used written order and is a pretty serious hex and counter wargame.

If you are interested we talk about GD 40 on our podcast
http://thenoisebeforedefeat.podbean.com/2009/04/02/the-noise...

As for fighting formations I'm not sure, sounds like it is influenced by conflict of heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
PSYCHO4506 wrote:

Everything but the theme, I would imagine. I know next to nothing about the GD series for TCS.
Definitely play it, it is a great series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:

As for fighting formations I'm not sure, sounds like it is influenced by conflict of heroes.

That's not really true at all. There are a few similarities (they both use hexes and damage chits, for example, since they are both wargames) but the games will be night and day different. FF will be significantly more in-depth (or complex if you prefer).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:

That's not really true at all. There are a few similarities (they both use hexes and damage chits, for example, since they are both wargames) but the games will be night and day different. FF will be significantly more in-depth (or complex if you prefer).
My understanding is that initiative system was modified after chad played CoH and there was some influence there, I know Chad had the idea before CoH, but it seems disingenuous to suggest there is no cross pollination going on at all, I'm happy to retract my statement if chad thinks it is inaccurate, but I'm only going by his comments in the past and I don't mean to overstate the point either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
EVERY game has cross-pollination to some degree. There is nothing entirely new in the world of board games, though the level of innovation can sometimes be quite high, perhaps overshadowing what would otherwise be obviously familiar.

I like to borrow from the best whenever it makes my design a better design....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:
EVERY game has cross-pollination to some degree. There is nothing entirely new in the world of board games, though the level of innovation can sometimes be quite high, perhaps overshadowing what would otherwise be obviously familiar.

I like to borrow from the best whenever it makes my design a better design....
Not trying to be critical I love your games and wait with baited breath on this one, I'm sure CCE was influencial for uwe, life is one giant feed back loop
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ibn_ul_khattab wrote:
My understanding is that initiative system was modified after chad played CoH and there was some influence there, I know Chad had the idea before CoH, but it seems disingenuous to suggest there is no cross pollination going on at all, I'm happy to retract my statement if chad thinks it is inaccurate, but I'm only going by his comments in the past and I don't mean to overstate the point either.

My point was not that it FF was not INFLUENCED by CoH but that it's not really a similar game at all. Perhaps I stated that poorly...

Having just read the rules for FF, I can say it's a lot closer to Combat Commander, though you'll recognize some commonalities with CoH, ASL and probably a lot of other games. We like to organize what we see by comparing it with what's familiar. The fact is, FF is its own game and is going to be a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.