Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I was just wondering...

For games like Steam and Age of Steam, if one would want to get plastic trains to replace the wooden discs, is there any game supplies store out there that sell those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For things like that, I use small pewter locomotives and spray paint them.

Do a seach on Ebay for "Mexican Train". You'll find several vendors that mount the pewter engines on class stones. At least one of them sells the engines in bulk.

If I get a chance before leaving for WBC, I'll take a photo and post it.

Edited to add URL to item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-L-Pewter-Train-Engine-Mini-Figurines-...

I think the price has gone up dramatically in the past year. I bought some around Christmas and I remember them being about $14 with shipping for 50 trains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

EDIT: Please see my reply below for more information.

During the time of posting my first and second replies to this thread, I was actually searching for more information for this question, based on my past experience with model trains. I answered YES up front not to be a smartass- but to let you know that YES, they do exist. The follow-up is the meat of my post after more research....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Yes.

What's the point of this post? Are you sitting in your basement with your chips and mountain dew giggling at how clever you are? The guy asked for some help. Don't be such a tool. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Yes.

What's the point of this post? Are you sitting in your basement with your chips and mountain dew giggling at how clever you are? The guy asked for some help. Don't be such a tool. shake

You're absolutely right. I am at work, not in my basement. And I am trying to help, but I'm apparently too slow. I was actually searching on Google for the guy, having some previous model train experience, before going back to edit the post..... Forget it, here's a more helpful post- I'll just do it as a reply- since I was called a Tool for being too slow? cry

Guilherme,

Yes, you may find plastic trains for sale from a variety of sources online- esp. Model Train suppliers. The first thing I would do is perform a Google Search. Then an E-bay search based on what you find.

A google search for "model train suppliers" will reveal tons of model train suppliers. Since you're in Brazil, I've determined that the suppliers I would recommend may not work best for you (I was originally going to post some links to a few).

The main thing you need to determine is what scale you want to use. HO is too large. N-scale is more like it but even that may be too large for Age of Steam. Micro-scale or Z-scale exists and may be your best bet. Do a search on E-bay for "Z-Scale Train" to see what's out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Yes.

If you take a look at Bryon's other contributions to BGG, you'll see he is frequently a very helpful person, so perhaps give the fellow a break, huh?

What gets me is you can find the mexican train bits, but they're selling for around $5 for 12 pieces.

Little plastic pieces like this, I should be able to get them for $0.10 each, not ~$0.40 each. shake If we could only find the place that is selling them in bulk to the ebayers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Yes.

If you take a look at Bryon's other contributions to BGG, you'll see he is frequently a very helpful person, so perhaps give the fellow a break, huh?

Thanks, Jason.

I actually spent an hour searching for this (don't tell my boss)!

My original reply should have better stated "Yes, let me look up some more info for you..."

Sorry if that original reply was taken the wrong way (I can see how it could be). shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Goulart
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank Byron you for your very informative reply!

I appreciate that you did some research -- I feel bad for being lazy!
I had looked on eBay for "plastic trains" but obviously that didn't generate very good results. It's great that you mentioned the appropriate scale for the trains, I'll look into eBay and google to see what I find.

Still, I find it pretty curious that there are several stores that sell game supplies such as cubes, farmers, meeples, animeeples, vegimeeples, custom dice, sleeves and what not.. and still, none sell plastic trains. I wonder if there would be a good market for it. There are plenty games that could use them and I guess that the price to mass produce simple plastic trains like the Ticket to Ride ones wouldn't be so expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. And here's a photo to give you a sense for Z-Scale:

The main manufacturer appears to be Marklin these days. Scale is 1:220.

I'd say there's a bigger market for more realistic-looking trains such as the ones made by Marklin, over those molded-plastic 1-piece jobs (not that they're bad, but they are still expensive- way more than they should be).

I guess it depends on what you want to spend and how many you need. Z-scale stuff can also be expensive- that's why I mentioned e-bay.

Also, since you don't need a functional model train- search for "dummy" locomotives-- used as scenery essentially-- in micro model train layouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll post a few links I found, perhaps that will help another find something better.

http://www.unclesgames.com/product_info.php/manufacturers_id... - $0.15 each, but only green.
http://www.amazon.com/Train-Domino-Markers-assorted-Colors/d... - $0.25 each Mix of colors

http://www.muecke-hotelberatung.de/spiel/english/pawns___oth... - Wood ones, might work.

It might be possible to track down the wood train bits from Chicago Express or get someone to cut them for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a list of manufacturers of Z-scale stuff in America:

http://americanzscale.org/list.asp?t=1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sweeney
United States
Clinton Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Miscellaneous Game Accessory? They look to be better than plastic....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin Leonhard
United States
Aldie
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
ixnay66 wrote:
frontlinegeneral wrote:
Yes.

What gets me is you can find the mexican train bits, but they're selling for around $5 for 12 pieces.

Little plastic pieces like this, I should be able to get them for $0.10 each, not ~$0.40 each. shake If we could only find the place that is selling them in bulk to the ebayers.

surprise surprise I don't usually get overly excited about bits, but I have to get some a lot of these. I'll join the search later today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Our friends, Mayday Games, are working on some trains, I believe they are wooden as opposed to plastic, not sure on their time scale at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:

I was in Jo-ann Fabrics last week. I saw a bag of beads that had a transportation theme. It was the Mexican Train engines, plus cars, planes and boats in assorted colors. I don't recall the exact quantity, but the bag ran $3.99.

I will stop by if I get a chance and post the quantity and product code if I am in the area later this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Keen
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
www.punkzter.blogspot.com
badge
It's a horse. On a chair.
mbmbmbmbmb
While searching for the transportation beads, I found this link:

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?d...

However, there is a review on the site of the product which is quite negative. Still, 500 pieces for $5.49 is not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beads seems to be the magic word to search for:

http://www.craftkitsandsupplies.com/train-beads-p-816.html?o...

I'm not sure what you'd use them for, but these safari animal beads look pretty cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:

I'm not sure what you'd use them for, but these safari animal beads look pretty cool.

Agricola: Africa?

Heck I might get these instead of those Animeeples I was going to pick up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike P
United States
Castleton
New York
flag msg tools
Check out my blog, Board Game Radar!!!
badge
Stop! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another solution that worked for me...

I offered to trade my wooden disks from Steam for the plastic trains from Age of Steam. Since so many people prefer the wooden disks, I was quickly able to find a trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.