Hide
6 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: road building development card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leah Kuykendall
msg tools
What happens if you have laid all of your road segments, and then you purchase a development card that turns out to be a road building card? Does that just mean you wasted resources on something you can't use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't use it if you don't have any roads to build. Just your bad luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
You can't use it if you don't have any roads to build. Just your bad luck.

Yup roads are not unlimited. You only have 15 of them in the game.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leah Kuykendall
msg tools
So you can't discard and draw again? (Actually, it happened to my kid, and I let him trade the card for the resources it would require to build two roads.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
MDuck wrote:
So you can't discard and draw again?

No, you are stuck with it. The best strategy is to have others think it is a Victory Point card to throw them off balance.

MDuck wrote:
(Actually, it happened to my kid, and I let him trade the card for the resources it would require to build two roads.)

Well.. since it was your kid, ... you are a nice parent. But its not in the rules, no.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
MDuck wrote:
(Actually, it happened to my kid, and I let him trade the card for the resources it would require to build two roads.)

I also feel that games are supposed to be fun. For adults, the frustration of being 'unlucky' can actually be part of the fun. Sometimes for kids, things not going according to plan can really sour them on the game. House rules are nothing to be afraid of especially if it makes it more enjoyable for everyone. Catan really seems to encourage this behavior anyway with the number of expansions and frequent use of the phrase, "If all players agree..."

I created a special fixed layout of Catan and several simplified rules so that my 4 year old could play with me (perhaps one day, I'll post them to the geek). Initially, the Robber would work as usual, stealing a resource from your opponent. That was fine when my son rolled the Robber, but as soon as I did it, a fit of tears emerged. I just changed the rules so that you could place the robber on any land and take that resource from the bank. When he is able to handle the inter-player conflict aspect of the Robber, we'll add that rule back in.

-Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.