Hide
10 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: harbor trading on someone else's turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leah Kuykendall
msg tools
Is it legal to use your harbor for trading during someone else's turn, if they ask you to so that you can scrape up the resource cards that they want?

Eg.
- Player A is on a sheep harbor.
- Player B is taking his turn, and offers an extra card if player A will user her sheep harbor to trade two of his cards for a sheep. Everyone gets something.

The only thing I can think is that player B is making a trade through her harbor when its not her turn, so maybe that's not okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Player A can't use her harbor on Player B's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MDuck wrote:
Is it legal to use your harbor for trading during someone else's turn, if they ask you to so that you can scrape up the resource cards that they want?

Eg.
- Player B is taking his turn, and offers an extra card if player A will user her sheep harbor to trade two of his cards for a sheep. Everyone gets something.

The only thing I can think is that player B is making a trade through her harbor when its not her turn, so maybe that's not okay.
If it were the other way around, then that may work.

--Player A's turn

--Player A is on sheep harbor
--Player B asks to use player A's sheep harbor

Player B can give player A 2 sheep, plus whatever else perhaps as a fee to use pA's harbor to get whatever pB wants. However, recent editions dictate with trading rules you can't offer 0:1+ trades, nor trade identical types of resources (e.g. 1 wood + 1 sheep to get 2 sheep)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
MDuck wrote:

Eg.

If it were the other way around, then that may work.

--Player A's turn

--Player A is on sheep harbor
--Player B asks to use player A's sheep harbor

Player B can give player A 2 sheep, plus whatever else perhaps as a fee to use pA's harbor to get whatever pB wants. However, recent editions dictate with trading rules you can't offer 0:1+ trades, nor trade identical types of resources (e.g. 1 wood + 1 sheep to get 2 sheep)

I equate this to bean laundering in Bohnanza. An interesting loop hole that can work, if able.

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolás Mutis Mesa
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
I think that this is legal with the 5-6 player expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zukeft wrote:

Sorry, no. You can only ever trade with the bank on your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
This is our interpretation:

A player may only use their own harbour, and only on their own turn.
Each trade should be self-contained and resorces should flow both ways.
If you can still manage to manipulate the harbour as outlined above, then go for it.

Example a:
Player A (active) is on a sheep harbour and has 3 wood. Player B has 3 sheep and would like a rock. Player a could offer a wood for the 3 sheep, then offer to trade back the wood for the rock he can buy with 2 of the sheep. He finishes 1 sheep up, and player B gets his rock.

Example b:
Player A (active) is on a sheep harbour and has no cards. Player B has 3 sheep and would like a rock. Player A could not offer to use his harbour as he has nothing to offer for the initial sheep. This would violate the "something for nothing" rule, even though both players would end up with something eventually.

The 5-6 player expansion does not change the trading phase. It simply allows for an extra "all player" build phase after the active player finishes building. So, in this phase, a non-active player can not use a sheep harbour to build a road with a brick and two sheep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolás Mutis Mesa
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
queenc wrote:
zukeft wrote:

Yes, you are right. I was under the impression that during the Special Building Phase you could trade freely, but no; you can only build and purchase development cards. I haven't seen anything in the rules available in BGG that forbids you to trade with the bank, but since this isn't explicitly mentioned, then it might be allowed. I'd have to check out the printed rules. I really wish Mayfair would make these available online. *sigh*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zukeft wrote:
queenc wrote:
zukeft wrote:

Yes, you are right. I was under the impression that during the Special Building Phase you could trade freely, but no; you can only build and purchase development cards. I haven't seen anything in the rules available in BGG that forbids you to trade with the bank, but since this isn't explicitly mentioned, then it might be allowed. I'd have to check out the printed rules. I really wish Mayfair would make these available online. *sigh*

Yes, the rules do explicitly forbid Maritime trade when it is not your turn.

Rules are available online at http://www.catan.com/gamerules.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolás Mutis Mesa
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
Note that no player is allowed to play Development Cards during the Special Building Phase. Also note that players are not allowed to do any trading with other players nor are they allowed to use Maritime Trade during this phase. They may only use the resources they have in their hands. For this reason, players are advised to trade as much, and as advantageously, as possible with the current player during his trading phase. They will then have the resources they need to build during the Special Building Phase.

Excellent, thanks a bunch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.