Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to those who voted in the Top 8 round which you can see -> here. 67 users participated with a total of 426 votes cast.

In the last round the new Doctors faced it off against Tom Baker, the best of the old Doctors. New were victorious, but only just. And both Doctors saw off Star Trek and BSG.

5 of the Top Series had a mode average of either Best or Awesome.
Red Dwarf suffered an even spread of scores, while Babylon 5 had its highest number of votes for "Best" and "Okay"!

An indicator of the eventual winner is the series that got the most "Best" ratings. Here are the last 8 sorted by most 'Best' votes.

26 Firefly
17 Star Trek (1960s)
15 Babylon 5
14 Battlestar Galactica (2000s)
13 Doctor Who (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, 2005-2009)
11 Star Trek: The Next Generation
10 Doctor Who (Tom Baker) 1974-1981
7 Red Dwarf

Firefly holds the top spot, with old Trek recovering from #5 to #2. Babylon 5 holds 3rd, new Dr Who drops 3. BSG up 3.

As in previous polls I calculated average ratings to see what would make it into the Final. To calculate this I awarded points for each rating: Best (4), Awesome (3), Great (2), Good (1), Okay (0).

The Average ratings for the last round are:

3.0 Firefly
2.6 Doctor Who (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, 2005-2009)
2.4 Doctor Who (Tom Baker) 1974-1981
2.4 Battlestar Galactica (2000s)
2.3 Star Trek (1960s)
2.2 Star Trek: The Next Generation
2.0 Babylon 5
1.9 Red Dwarf

The Top 3 remain the same. BSG up from 6th to 4th.

For those interested in Sci-fi, the parallel thread of Best Sci-fi Films is -> here.

Firefly looks like it will be our Winner, but it has never been put directly up against a Doctor before. This is our Final. The rest of the last 8 can battle it out 1-on-1 for their final placings....

Poll: Best Sci-fi Series: The FINALs
1. The Final. Which is Best?
Firefly
Doctor Who (Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, 2005-2009)
2. 3rd place play-off. Which is Best?
Doctor Who (Tom Baker) 1974-1981
Battlestar Galactica (2000s)
3. 5th place Play-off. Which is the Best Trek?
Star Trek (1960s)
Star Trek: The Next Generation
4. 7th place play-off. Fanboy or Smeghead?
Babylon 5
Red Dwarf
      82 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

I've started a notification thread for my polls which you can subscribe to if you don't want to miss the latest poll:
1000rpm's Polls Notification Thread

You may also be interested in:
Best Fantasy TV Series: Initial Bracket Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first time ever, I voted for Babylon 5. I didn't like the show, but I must admit it's better SF than Red Dwarf.

What gives with Next Gen and BSG? Am I in the old man crowd?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing TNG so high up makes me feel quite disappointed in the tastes of geeks; Did anyone evey try to watch the first two seasons of the show? It's as if someone had made a remake of Baby Geniuses, starring Keanu Reeves! There might be two salvageable episodes in each season, and that's being generous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
Seeing TNG so high up makes me feel quite disappointed in the tastes of geeks; Did anyone evey try to watch the first two seasons of the show? It's as if someone had made a remake of Baby Geniuses, starring Keanu Reeves! There might be two salvageable episodes in each season, and that's being generous.

robot Even worse, TNG is currently winning??!! Seriously, Geeks, don't make me get all General Order 24 on your asses! robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be blunt here: Firefly sucks.

It's a great concept and has lots of bright moments... but every single episode hit a point where I just didn't care anymore. Usually at the half-hour mark. Luckily, I got to see these on DVD and so spent a lot of time fast-forwarding through the latter halves of most episodes.

Whedon panders to the fanboy/con crowd and he lays it on so thick I'm constantly aware of the furious winking at a target demo I'm not a member of.

Serenity, on the other hand, was a great movie.

If we're purely measuring popularity, well, then, I suppose Firefly wins. But if we're talking about the best science fiction, how can we ignore the Hugo-nominated Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead episodes from Doctor Who?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be blunter than Hive God, Trek sucks. All Trek. The old Trek had its moments, as did TNG, but they were quite bad overall, and those were the high-points of the franchise. They are the gild on this Lilly, especially if one saw Deep Sleep Nine, Enterprise, and the godawful Voyager. Trek fans cannot see that the series were all the warts and were only redeemed, slightly, by "Wrath of Khan" and "the Voyage Home".

There I have said it; the thing that has been on my mind for years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as we're being all blunter and stuff, I'll just say that all TV and Movie Sci Fi sucks. Really it does. Any given show has barely 1 out of a dozen eps that even comes close to a good scifi idea, and not just mundane plots dressed up as scifi by putting them in space or adding an alien.

So, now that we have that clear and we know we're grading on a curve, we can continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be the bluntest. HiveGod and Osiris Ra suck. I've literally been watching them for weeks...not hours...not days...WEEKS...and there still hasn't been a single laser fight on either show. What gives!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
I blame my writers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
the difference between a "crowd" and a "mob" is one push
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I'm going to be the bluntest. HiveGod and Osiris Ra suck. I've literally been watching them for weeks...not hours...not days...WEEKS...and there still hasn't been a single laser fight on either show. What gives!?!

I blame the BGG Admin Cencorship Board for banning the edgy language and stopping the fight scenes. The latter were expertly choreographed by the Portuguese Pugilist himself, MGBM. Until I am allowed full creative control, all you will see are triple entendres and lowbrow puns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
I'll be blunter than Hive God, Trek sucks. All Trek. The old Trek had its moments, as did TNG, but they were quite bad overall, and those were the high-points of the franchise. They are the gild on this Lilly, especially if one saw Deep Sleep Nine, Enterprise, and the godawful Voyager. Trek fans cannot see that the series were all the warts and were only redeemed, slightly, by "Wrath of Khan" and "the Voyage Home".

There I have said it; the thing that has been on my mind for years.

wow Just got one thing to say to this, Osiris...Ware Ye! Shatner's comin' for ya. And he's got a phaser-rifle. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
I'm going to be blunt here: Firefly sucks.

It's a great concept and has lots of bright moments... but every single episode hit a point where I just didn't care anymore. Usually at the half-hour mark. Luckily, I got to see these on DVD and so spent a lot of time fast-forwarding through the latter halves of most episodes.

Whedon panders to the fanboy/con crowd and he lays it on so thick I'm constantly aware of the furious winking at a target demo I'm not a member of.

Serenity, on the other hand, was a great movie.

If we're purely measuring popularity, well, then, I suppose Firefly wins. But if we're talking about the best science fiction, how can we ignore the Hugo-nominated Silence in the Library and Forest of the Dead episodes from Doctor Who?

How odd -- I feel exactly the opposite. The new Dr Who is chock full of pop cultural references, 'ironic' Britney Spears soundtrack, fake American accents, stunt casting (Kylie Minogue, Catherine Tate), etc, which I believe is pandering to the Whedon audience.

Firefly is indeed pretty jokey and winking, but on balance I think it has more respect for its source material (Blake's 7 and the like), its viewers, and SF in general than the new Dr Who does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going for consistancy, Firefly has a more consistant level of "quality(?)," but I've just never got much sci-fi-ness from Firefly. Sure, their ship is neat, but really, it's just a good ol' adventure show.

Doctor Who, on the other hand, can be close to rediculous at times, but Christopher Eccleston, and then David Tennant after him have both been brilliant characters. And, they will often have episodes that just blow you away. "Blink" might be one of my favorite episodes of TV ever, even though the SciFi in that episode is almost laughable--the creatures "feed" off of people's "potential" by sending them back in time? But they're still there, they still use their potential. huh? And Quantum-Locked? That is some awesome technobabble worthy of any Star Trek engineer's praise. But forget that. How can you not love a show that can make a gripping exciting story, barely using the main characters, and having a monster that puts you on the edge of your seat without ever actually showing it move on camera. Brilliant. The DVD Easter Egg thing was pretty cool too.

And they do have solid SciFi on there occasionally, like the episode where the whole race of people are stuck in a never-ending traffic jam.

I really like both, actually, but head to head, I have to vote Doctor Who.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
I still can't accept that B5 didn't win this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
I still can't accept that B5 didn't win this.

I can't accept that it beat Red Dwarf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.