Hide
3 Posts

Catan» Forums » General

Subject: Gateway to what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Scislowicz
msg tools
I have heard that Settlers is a good gateway game, and I would agree since it was the first euro-game for my group and myself. My group of friends has enjoyed playing settlers with the cities and knights expansion for about a year now. We still play but it would be nice to add something new to the mix. We almost always have 5, rarely 6. After reading reviews for the past few days I was thinking about Dominion+Intrigue or Small World. I have not played either of these games before but both seem to fit to me.

I wanted to know what some people who have played both think,
Small World, Dominion or something else entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
There are a bunch of different directions gamers go from Settlers. I, like you, was brought into this realm of gaming possibility through Settlers and so I call it "My Gateway Game".

I expanded from Settlers with the intent of building a well-rounded game collection. I wanted to cover the bases for weight, category, mechanics, # of players, and length. On any given night, depending on who or how many people would show up to play, I wanted to have at least two choices of really good games.

I now have about 130 games (counting all of the kids games) and could probably stop and be happy with my current collection. I've bought some duds along the way and have traded or sold just a handful. I purposely left out a lot of the RPGs, war-games and super long games and I prefer the Euro style. I will buy any game I think my wife will play or my family will enjoy that doesn't completely bore me and I've got young kids so try to increase their abilities as well.

I've got some suggestions on what to look at next but feel free to take a look at my ratings from the top down. I think you MIGHT enjoy just about any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Coming from Settlers I'd suggest looking closely at these games....

Small World
Acquire
Santiago
Tikal
Maharaja: The Game of Palace Building in India
Dream Factory
Pandemic
Fearsome Floors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.