Subject: Forest protection, ambigious rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Søren E.
Denmark
Gredstedbro
flag msg tools
Quote:
I'm currently waiting for my set to arrive, and I've been reading the rules. However, I have a problem understanding the rules regarding terrain protection.

On p. 13, in the picture with the reference card for Towns & Villages, it shows a "-1" and "-2" for infantry and tank respectively. In the paragraph below it says
Quote:
"The soldier and the tank icons indicate the defensive capabilities of the terrain. In this example, attacking infantry units roll 1 less die, and attacking armor units roll 2 less dice."

The wording on p. 14 for Towns & Villages says
Quote:
"...When battling an enemy unit that is on a Town hex, infantry
reduce the number of Battle dice rolled by 1, Armor reduce the
number of Battle dice rolled by 2..."

Here it is my problem with understanding comes in. "Forest" have the same wording as "Towns and Villages", but in the center picture at the bottom of p. 13, it says the tanks rolls 2 dice instead of 3. However I would think that the tank rolls -2 just as the paragraph above says for Towns and Villages, thereby making the tank roll only a die (3-2)? Which is correct?

A - The number applies to the unit attacking, making the tank roll 2 less, implying that the example of the infantry in the forest being attacked is incorrect.

B - The number applies to the unit being attacked, implying that the paragraph above "Forest" is incorrect.

UPDATED!!

My bad. Can't explain why I saw tanks there when it's clearly infantry. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Glad you found your answer.

For the most part, terrain protects the defender and reduces the number of dice the attacker rolls. So you only count the terrain the defeder is sitting on and ignore the terrain the attacker is on.

But there are some cases where the terrain the attacker is on also reduces the dice. Town/Villages for tanks is one example and wire for infantry/artillery is another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren E.
Denmark
Gredstedbro
flag msg tools
There is still the wording of this sentence that bothers me though: ""...When battling an enemy unit that is on a Town hex, infantry
reduce the number of Battle dice rolled by 1, Armor reduce the
number of Battle dice rolled by 2..."

Does it mean that because there's an infantry in the terrain (eg. forest) the attacker rolls -1, or does it mean that because the attacker is a infantry he rolls -1; I would think the latter apply.?

I would think the following 4 point are correct:

A - Infantry attacks, Infantry in forest -> -1
B - Tanks attacks, Infantry in forest -> -2

C - Infantry attacks, Tanks in forest -> -1
D - Tanks attacks, Tank in forest -> -2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The dice are reduced because of the terrain. How many dice it is reduced by is a combination of the attacking unit and the terrain.

So Infantry attack into forests at -1 die no matter who the target is. Tanks fire into forest at -2 no matter who they target.

So your 4 points are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Søren E.
Denmark
Gredstedbro
flag msg tools
Thanks for clarifying that for me.

I think it's the wording that created the confusion, it appeared to me that the rules hinted at the terrain and defender determined the dice reduction, which is kind of ridiculous, that a tank would get increased protection in a forest which isn't exactly it's preferred terrain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.