john mcnamara
United States
grand rapids
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uPDATE: DUE TO INDECISION.....i AM EXTENDING THE TIME 6 MORE HOURS........I WILL MAKE MY DECISION AROUND 12 MIDNIGHT TONIGHT.........

Okay, I am currently making a trade and am being offered my choice:

Hannibal Rome vs. Carthage or Hammer of the Scots:

In 6 hours when i return from the days errands, I will decide. I need your help!! So after August 3rd, 2009 at 6pm, disregard this thread...my decision was already made.

I only own memoir 44........and I think it is alright........i need some more politics or meat or beauty of mechanisms or something......

What will i do with this game? I will use it to seduce a couple people away from Axis and Alies and Risk. I will use it to play with my gaming buds who love Struggle for Empires and Twilight Struggle and stuff like that............we have never taken the "Wargame" plunge. But don't try to diagnose the situation........just, what is your favorite and why?

I just want the best damn game!!! I want the best damn game!!! WE don't have time for you to argue outside these two games.....only talk about the boys in the ring......hammer and hannibal............

Hammer vs. Hannibal................let's do this.

Thank you so much for your input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're planning to play with Twilight Struggle fans, then Hannibal has some similarities being a Card Driven game.

Hammer is rather different. But for Axis & Allies/Risk players they might find Hammer a little more familiar, as the battles are dice driven.

Really depends which period interests you more ...

I like both, if I had to pick between the two I'd probably go for Hammer, just because of the way the nobles switch sides and the levy pool you struggle with as the English (need cavalry, and get archers, how do you best use them?).

--Edit, you might want to hang on with Hammer, as Columbia are doing a new map (not that I particular dislike the original):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/413649
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mike
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Hannibal is the better game. More decisions, more maneuvering, more replay value, more fun, more challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Winner
United States
Jeffersonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Hammer of the Scots, but I think it's a beautifully designed game. The nobles switching sides provides such a unique mechanic (and true to the spirit of the conflict).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Moody
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer.

I think for Twilight Struggle fans, Hannibal will be somewhat of a dissapointment. The later CDGs are much more refined and going back to Hannibal means it feels a little clunky at times (still fun though).

Hammer feels very different, but still is very easy to get into. One of those games that had me wanting to play again as soon as a game completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ziegler
United States
Huntingdon Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have both games and have played both games. The mechanics of "Hammer of the Scots" is better as a "playable" game. Hannibal has better artistic value, it's larger, more engrossing. So it depends if you want something simple that you can teach a friend quickly or a more artistic game that may take quite a few hours to play.
Set up is quick in Hammer of the Scots. Objective is conversion of units to your side essentially. Hannibal you have to convert regions, lay a siege to cities, fight tribesman, and worse, deal with Rome and the overwhelming power that she has in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal hands down. Wish I had never sold my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I still have time to make a suggestion. I've played both and enjoyed both. Based on your target audience, I'd say go Hammer at this time - bottom line, it's easier to get into for a group that has played primarily A&A and Risk. I think Hannibal might have longer legs, but you can get that down the road. I just know there's more to wrap your brain around with Hannibal - Hammer is more straightforward.

Be happy in the knowledge that in this choice, you really can't go wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, but Hannibal only once. Hammer of the Scots had more instant appeal for me: it grabbed me from the first game in the same way that Twilight Struggle did. Hannibal is more complex and probably takes a little more time to get into, and possibly as a result I wasn't as instantly enthusiastic about it as I was with HoS. Of course, maybe with time, Hannibal could turn out to be the better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john mcnamara
United States
grand rapids
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thank you all sooooooooooooo much!!

the winner is:

Hammer of the Scots..........

i really appreciate your input
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.