Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Americans live in or are knowledgeable about Turkey. I have a trip planned and have some cultural questions (I piss off enough Americans, I don't need to add the population of another country).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lebanon
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Don't know about cultural particulars, but don't forget to take a flashlight, I heard it's pretty dark inside.

sorry, no way I could resist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
AT 22 wrote:
sorry, no way I could resist

You beat many people (including me) to it.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
RaffertyA wrote:
Any Americans live in or are knowledgeable about Turkey. I have a trip planned and have some cultural questions (I piss off enough Americans, I don't need to add the population of another country).
I've spent about a month total in Turkey (mostly Istanbul), so fire away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
I've spent about a month total in Turkey (mostly Istanbul)...
Not Constantinople?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rowe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply put: make an effort to turn yourself out in clothing that, while weather-appropriate, is more than novelty T-shirt, shorts, sandals and baseball cap. [Not that this describes you, just many of us Americans on vacation.] If you're traveling with women, they will need to bring some kind of light, simple scarf to cover their heads if you tour any of the mosques.

If crossing your legs while seated, try not to show the soles of your shoes to others. I wouldn't obsess about this, but it can be considered impolite.

Don't worry about firmly, politely, saying 'no' to touts that will accost you for carpet shops. In Turkish, "hayur" means 'no'. Oh, and if you try to learn a little Turkish beforehand. . . big plus. It's a gorgeous language and some pleasantries can get you far. Basic German can help where English fails, too, especially in shops. Be prepared for less English-language familiarity the farther you get from urban, traveler-centric areas. We were in a chemist's shop, and a little simple French got us what we needed.

If you do use a public toilet in the city, and there is an elderly attendant, a small tip is polite. Don't sweat the elephant-footprint squat toilets. . . I only ever used one over the course of over two weeks. Most facilities are familiar toilets.

Do be prepared to meet some of the most hospitable people on earth! Our guesthouse reception/host went absolutely out of his way for us. Trying to insist on tips after such service--if they've politely declined--isn't necessary.

Get used to drinking awesome tea--a lot of it. Practically every shop will push it on you as normal operating procedure, which it is. The Turks/Kurds I met were very interested in our backgrounds, nationality, why we visited their city/county. Share your stories, as it will pay dividends.

Hopefully any Turkish visitors here at the 'Geek will correct or update my advice! I last traveled (western) Turkey in 1999. All the best for a great trip!

Cheers,

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That is not Depeche but rather
United States
Grandville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
JoshBot wrote:
I've spent about a month total in Turkey (mostly Istanbul)...
Not Constantinople?

That's nobody's business but the Turks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.