Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My mom has an intel-based mac. My mom also has a program for her digital piano that she doesn't want to lose that is circa Windows 95. Currently she has a dual boot as well as Parallels, but she says Parallels slows everything down too much, and rebooting to use th program is a pain.

Is there any easy and quick way to run the old program through OSX?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've heard that Parallels is the best virtual Windows OS you can get for the Intel Macs. It's what I'm planning on getting for mine new laptop, but I haven't messed with it yet. Any virtual OS is going to be slower than the real OS. There's no way to do it directly though the native Mac OS.

I can try to find out more for you after lunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, going to require parallels or VirtualPC. Either one.

I use Parallels here at work. With XP Still. to run our ERP software.

It works fine. Not any slowdown really. Most of that older stuff was running on much lesser machines, so you won't notice a difference.

Either parallels or Virtual PC are going to cost you money.

The free solution would be using bootcamp. But that require rebooting to get into.

You do not have to reboot to run parallels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I've heard nothing but bad things about Virtual PC. It's apparently really, really slow, but you can run it on the older Macs (read: non-Intel).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, no. Not really. She's either stuck dual booting or parallels. If the program is circa '95 it sounds like it's about time to upgrade anyway. Or is it a proprietary program designed for her specific piano? If not I'm sure that you can find some decent piano software for the Mac.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
amwiles wrote:

I've heard nothing but bad things about Virtual PC. It's apparently really, really slow, but you can run it on the older Macs (read: non-Intel).

Yeah, not Vitual PC that I'm thinking about. But VMWare Fusion.

which does have a pretty good rep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thermogimp wrote:
If the program is circa '95 it sounds like it's about time to upgrade anyway. Or is it a proprietary program designed for her specific piano? If not I'm sure that you can find some decent piano software for the Mac.

She's rather attached to this one program and claims she hasn't found an equal. As far as I know, it's mostly a very large collection of songs ni midi format that she can play through her piano.

Anyways, she was saying something about drivers today (I wasn't really paying attention), and she says that Parallels isn't giving her the slowdown issues she was having anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Yeah, going to require parallels or VirtualPC. Either one.

You could try Virtualbox as well:

http://www.virtualbox.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.