6 Posts

Lord of the Rings: Friends & Foes» Forums » Sessions

Subject: A lonely journey through Mordor rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I decided to try F&F again today, but this time with 3 hobbits, and sauron on 12. Preparations was a blessing, as I rolled a blank wow. After hiding from the Nazgul, off to Bree.

Bree:
The usual strategy worked pretty well here, which was
1) Get Frodo to grab a ring token by playing 2 friendships
2) Get Sam to grab Butterbur, and use him to grab Strider and the Firebrand
3) Complete hiding before Event 3
4) Finish scenario before further events.
However, the foes threw some bumps in the road, as I discarded Tom bombadil to kill off 2 die-roll foes, and ended up having to use Gandalf's letter for guidance to complete hiding when event 3 came up, grabbing Bill the pony. In addition, poor Pippin was having to discard cards left and right to kill off the many foes, at one point discarding the 2 cards left in his hand to beat the "discard all your cards foe". Pippin then spent the rest of the scenario drawing cards, and we finished up. 10 foes were killed by the end of the scenario, 3 were still in the foe line, and the hobbits and sauron were 5 steps closer to each other. Still, it was better than what happened last time...

Moria:
I decided on a plan of "Rush the main line ASAP", since I tend to take some damage from Trapped, and hopefully this would be the only scenario in which fighting was needed. So, Boromir, Anduril, and Gimli paved the way as we ran through the scenario in record time. Not a single foe came out of the foe deck, and we killed the 3 that were on the foe line as well. However, Frodo and Pippin took 2 corruption from life token lack, and Sam used Athelas to prevent taking 3 corruption. Since we had acquired the book, we were ready for the double skip. But first, Lothlorien, and then Isenguard.

Isenguard:
This scenario did definately NOT go according to plan. First off, we missed treebeard, since Frodo did not want to give up his wilds and roll the die for the double handshake. This turned out to be wise, because when Gandalf the white came up, Frodo had to discard first Galadrial, and then Aragorn in order to get the triple wild. Unfortunately, Pipe-weed came out when we were just one turn away from completing the travelling track, so the next event happened, and Frodo was the only one who managed to avoid listening to the voice of Saruman. Thankfully, the consequences were not too dire, as both Sam and Pippin rolled foes. When Battle of the spells came out, we were VERY lucky, as the first die roll was a blank. However, we gave up on completing the main line, and Sam's valour took care of Saurman when he came up. (And Mithril helped, for that matter.)

The double skip:
We managed to clear the foe line, so we could skip Helm's deep, but I made a mistake with dealing with life-token lack. The correct course of action would have been to let Frodo and Pippin die, and play both Bill the Pony, Elessar, and Gandalf's healing for Sam, (whilst using Mirurivour to pass the book to Sam) but as I wanted to keep everyone alive, (since both Frodo and Pippin had some VERY good feature cards) I played the pony on Pippin, giving him the third life token to keep him from dying, and the healing went to Frodo, so only Elessar was used on ringbearer Sam.

Skipping Helm's deep, four foes came up, and I was downcast at what they were.

Life token, Roll, gray card discard, and eye of Sauron.

Sam could (with the aid of firebrand) defeat them all, but the fourth enemy would kill off both Frodo and Pippin. However, Firestorm was unavailable, as Gandalf's healing had been used for Frodo. However, going through a fifth board would not be a good idea.

So, there was only one thing for it. Firebrand killed the life token foe, and Sam killed off the other three, as Frodo and Pippin died. (I made another mistake here. I forgot to use the belt on the die roll foe, so that feature card went unused.)

Mordor:
We were in not-too good shape, as Sam had three double travels/wilds, (all of which were gray) but only one white card. However, starting off by playing the phial, his white wild, and a double travel, Sam grabbed 3 shields. However, when event 1 came up, Sam decided not to heal, since he needed both persistence and integrity to get to mount doom. (In hindsight, this was another mistake. Due to some other tiles that came up, he would have had the needed shields anyway.) But regardless, he spent the next turn drawing two cards... both gray. (Blah.) Thankfully, persistence gave him a couple of whites, so he struggled onward until he was four spaces away, and used the ring and integrity to climb to the cracks of doom.

There he was, one space away from Sauron, 6 foes in the foe line. A blank or a foe symbol would be okay, anything else would kill him. He rolled the die, and... Tune in next time for the exciting conclusion!shake

No, I wouldn't do that to you guys. He rolled, and.... one corruption!!! sauron Failure at the cracks of doom! The final score was 81, as we had killed 21 foes in our long journey.

Well, it was very close, and had I not made those mistakes, I would have won. Still, I had fun, and I'll topple sauron next time. It turned out that I only went through 2/3rds of the foe deck, due to my scenario rushing. So, delaying scenario completion is a double-edged sword... you can heal and draw cards, but since foes ensure that something bad happens every turn, you could lose more than you gain... I'd say that unless your goal is to defeat all the foes for watchful peace, (which seems to be unlikely to happen unless you delay through four scenario boards), finishing a scenario through events seems to be a bad idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:
Bree:
The usual strategy worked pretty well here, which was
1) Get Frodo to grab a ring token by playing 2 friendships
2) Get Sam to grab Butterbur, and use him to grab Strider and the Firebrand
3) Complete hiding before Event 3

Mine is always, finish scenario before Event 3. I'd love to save Sam's Valour or Gandalf's Defiance for later, not wasted it on Event 3. If rushing sometimes means I miss Event 2, so be it. Just seems if I get Event 2, Event 3 will inevitably happen before I can finish the main line.

Quote:
The double skip:
We managed to clear the foe line, so we could skip Helm's deep, but I made a mistake with dealing with life-token lack. The correct course of action would have been to let Frodo and Pippin die

I like this attitude. A lot. I mean, having every hobbit survive till the end is nice and all, but if a win requires sacrificial lamb(s), so be it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I've gotten Bill the Pony every time so far. So, its worked for me. Events 4 and 5 aren't a game-breaker, and you're more likely to complete the hiding line before event 3 than the main line. I usually have it wrapped up around turn 4 or 5. (If not, then Guidance or Frodo's determination will probably see me through.)

As a side note, I considered using Pippin's one-time power to wrap up the travelling line early in Isenguard, but I decided against it so I could use it in Mordor... shake

Also, I actually had a decent chance of doing the double skip with all 3 hobbits surviving, but the Orcs of the Red Eye ruined that chance. So, most of my mistakes were excusable, but the mistake of forgetting the belt was the game-loser. blush

Yeah, I won't hesitate to sacrifice if it's clear that there is no other way (without some extreme luck), but I was hoping that if Frodo and Pippin had to go down, they could at least play some of their better cards in Mordor. (Like Gandalf the white... I sacrificed 2 double wilds to get him, and never got to use him...) Sam didn't have the cards to do it alone. (at least, not without drawing cards...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am against Bill the Pony, more on principle than anything else. It just seems a kinda poor reward for chucking away all those Hiding cards (since you throw 2 away at Bag End if you don't want Sauron to move) and also will need them most likely in Moria and definately in Isengard (at least Legolas, White 2 Hiding) is actually useful for once. And in Bree I'm often throwing cards on the Friendship line already, if I throw them at Hiding + Friendship, the Main line won't move fast enough, so I pick my battles so to speak and go with Friendship.

The real fun is when you draw 4 Life token foes after skipping HD (Bill could help, but...) blush .

BTW, why'd you start Sauron at 12? I always started him at 15 when first trying to beat a new expansion. I know MMM did a math code for how much he felt each expansion added difficulty with regard to just the base game, I think it's in the F&F general section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat F&F (sauron on 15) first time I played (2 hobbits as well). Second time I lost, but I figured that a third hobbit should at least partially offset the added difficulty.

As far as Bill the pony, I look at him as a poor man's elessar, since he can be used to avoid taking one corruption at the end of most scenarios. He isn't the best reward, but the only other place I use hiding is in Isenguard, as in Moria I only get the book, and then get out. Plus, Tom bombadil is an easy 3 spaces on the line, and I prefer to save my double travels for Mordor when at all possible. (And sometimes Isenguard. 3 healing is something you can't really afford to pass up on.)

As far as 4 life token foes after skipping HD... I hope Merry is present and hasn't used his one-shot ability yet...

By the way, on event 3 at isenguard, have you ever skipped HD that way? I have never been able to do it, simply because I don't usually carry more than 12 cards, let alone 12 fighting, and completing both side-tracks by that event is not likely. It seems more profitable to just complete the main line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicholas1024 wrote:
Plus, Tom bombadil is an easy 3 spaces on the line, and I prefer to save my double travels for Mordor when at all possible. (And sometimes Isenguard. 3 healing is something you can't really afford to pass up on.)

Meant to say that I blow Tom immediately to kill 2 of the 3 Foes most of the time, unless they are really easy. I know there was one recent game where I got Tombo after rolling "add 2 Foes" for both Preparations AND Event 1, so there were 7 Foes out there, sorta HAD to use Tom.

Quote:
As far as 4 life token foes after skipping HD... I hope Merry is present and hasn't used his one-shot ability yet...

Actually, that doesn't work IIRC. Bravery reads:

"During his turn, Merry may instantly defeat all Foes from the Foe line that require Life tokens..."

If Merry is the active player, he can kill Foes normally on the Master Board, but there are no turns while on the Master Board (or else you could lose for having 8 Foes out while on the MB, which the rules say doesn't take place until you're in the scenario).

Quote:
By the way, on event 3 at isenguard, have you ever skipped HD that way? I have never been able to do it, simply because I don't usually carry more than 12 cards, let alone 12 fighting, and completing both side-tracks by that event is not likely. It seems more profitable to just complete the main line.

Doubtful. Most of my games are A) 2 Hobbits and B) strategy is always "main line rush", so having even 12 symbols in all the cards in hand isn't always guaranteed at that point ! Now, in a 4-5 Hobbit game, I could see that happening. Hard part would be then to skip SL, since IIRC that Event doesn't require 0 Foes showing, so if you have 7 Foes showing and use that Event to skip HD, you'd draw 4 more I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.