Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I are playing through the Arkham Summer League and Chapter Three involves the Black Goat expansion -- this will be our first play of it.

I was initially confused by the rulebook claiming only 16 cards in the Corruption deck, but have since seen that this was a typo and you do in fact make a full Corruption deck.

I also read a thread on here where for fewer investigators (in the League we're playing with three), people propose only playing 8 green and 8 red Corruption cards, drawn randomly, in order maybe to tighten up the game, a bit.

My question is this: Is this variant now official in any way (since it sounds like it makes Arkham a better game), or, since we're trying to play properly for the League, should I be setting out the full 32 Corruption cards for our three-investigator game?

Thanks in advance. --David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You should follow the basic rules unless specifically altered in teh scenario setup.

As with a lot of things in Arkham, they are meant to be "just another thing" you need to keep track of. You must likely won't end the game because you run out of cards. But it will make things varied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played any League scenarios, but I know the FAQ on them (League 2 we're talking about, right?) states no Herald is used. That cuts down on the Corruption cards (that is, you see a lot more Corruption cards in play in a normal game with the Herald than without it). Can't recall if that scenario is one of those where you can bank Clues and get them during setup by taking Corruption.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rauli, yes that is one of the scenarios that does that (sorry, yes, League 2). However, we had no clues left from our previous chapter so no decision necessary on that, and no initial corruption (and yes, no Herald).

Brian, thanks as always for your quick and definitive replies. So we'll shuffle up all 32 and possibly not need more than a few of them, as it is.

Best to you both. --DG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You must likely won't end the game because you run out of cards. But it will make things varied.

David Gardner wrote:
So we'll shuffle up all 32 and possibly not need more than a few of them, as it is.

LOL that's what we think every time we take a corruption card, and before we know it the deck is almost empty! Tread lightly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
LOL that's what we think every time we take a corruption card, and before we know it the deck is almost empty! Tread lightly!

12 games with the BGotW Herald and I've not even drawn a Red card once I don't think, much less come close to running out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get Downward Spiral early, it can in fact lead to a very bad downward spiral. If you don't get those early you'll probably be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
If you get Downward Spiral early, it can in fact lead to a very bad downward spiral. If you don't get those early you'll probably be fine.

Even with those still need to correct symbol + color on the Mythos card(s).

On a side note, Stormin' Norman Withers can help remove Corruption cards with his ability even if you don't have the proper gate symbol on the board. At least I think he can. Brian?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There are 6 different symbol groupings with 2 different colors. So theortetically, every 12 turns, you should be hit on a specific card. There are more cards than just downward spiral that add corruption cards to your investigator. But yes, you need the stars to align for it to get out of control. And using the Herald helps.

I am not sure about Norman's ability. The way it is worded, it may mean ONLY monsters:

In the Stars
Any Phase:
Whenever Norman closes or seals a gate, he may choose any dimensional symbol other that the moon. The gate is considered to have that dimensional symbol instead of its normal dimensional symbol for purposes of removing monsters from the board.

Because they were so specific on the ability refering to monsters, I wonder if they really do mean "just monsters." If they wanted to include Corruption cards, I think they would have left the language more general. Basically, if they cut off the highlighted portion, I would say there is no question he could get rid of corruption cards in this manner.

What am I missing that they would go that specific on the ability? The dimensional symbol on a gate only affects monsters on the board and Corruption cards in play right? Am I missing something obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be kinda weird if Norman close a gate with + on it, choose square, removes monsters according to square and C-cards per + . Weird in the sense that his ability would have two different results, even though it is keyed to one particular thing, the gate.

Tommy got permission to use his ability in the street, even though it's worded location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Dam the Man wrote:
It would be kinda weird if Norman close a gate with + on it, choose square, removes monsters according to square and C-cards per + . Weird in the sense that his ability would have two different results, even though it is keyed to one particular thing, the gate.

I kind of agree. And to keep it simple, it should probably change the corruption as well.

But taking the theme (which I hate to use when discussing mechanics), he is an astronomer and so only influences dimensions in the sense that monsters are concerned. Losing Corruption is more about a random event within the game allowing you to ditch your corruption instead of being tied directly to the gates themselves.

Its much like when some of us say that GateBursts aren't really the thematic cause of making flying monsters move, it is just anouther random mechanic to get them moving. And even if the Gate doesn't burst, the fact you drew that card is what makes the fliers move (at least that is what most of us suspect since we never got official confirmation).

So I don't think it is too much of a stretch to say he clears Square monsters while clearing Plus Corruption cards.

Quote:
Tommy got permission to use his ability in the street, even though it's worded location.

I know. One of my only gripes with this game. If you take the time to define something like "location," then don't make it mean other things!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
puck71 wrote:

True, but Downward Spiral is moon, which seems to be one of the most common symbols to come up for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
puck71 wrote:
Dam the Man wrote:
puck71 wrote:

True, but Downward Spiral is moon, which seems to be one of the most common symbols to come up for movement.

No, that's just your imagination. The symbols are perfectly equal across the board (there is a 1 card difference for some reason in BGotW) so in the complete game, each grouping comes up 34 times in each of the colors (White Hexagon / Black:Slash/Triangle/Star is the group that is shafted and only has 33 cards).

The reason you think it is more is because there are so many more Moon monsters on the board than any other dimension type (45 compared to 24 hexagons, the next largest distribution).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stupid facts. It sure seems like moons come up twice as often when you have the Downward Spiral though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Downward spiral, I believe, triggers on cross, not moon. In fact, there aren't any moon corruptions.

That aside, I have been burned severely by Downward Spiral before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Downward spiral, I believe, triggers on cross, not moon. In fact, there aren't any moon corruptions.

That aside, I have been burned severely by Downward Spiral before.
I think you're right, but moon and cross are always together (as far as I can remember) on Mythos cards, so they come up equally often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
I was initially confused by the rulebook claiming only 16 cards in the Corruption deck, but have since seen that this was a typo and you do in fact make a full Corruption deck.

I also read a thread on here where for fewer investigators (in the League we're playing with three), people propose only playing 8 green and 8 red Corruption cards, drawn randomly, in order maybe to tighten up the game, a bit.

. --David

I thought I'd gotten duplicates by mistake. Are there supposed to be 8 green and 8 red Corruption Cards in play, or 16 of each for 32 total???

Hope it's only 8 of each, cause that can bring you to the Brink of Doom real fast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
16 each for a total of 32. The original rules were wrong because they were probably a copy over of the Epic Battle cards in Kingsport. The revised rules have since been posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.