Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
I loved the idea of it. I read the rules (hardly a daunting task given their short length) and was even more enthused. But our game failed and had to be abandoned due to the Interest Payment cards bunching resulting in the Asset deck running out.

I posted a question about this here on the Geek, hoping that somebody might tell me we'd made a mistake and that this could not happen (or what to do if it did). I also knew that the publisher roamed the site. But no reply was forthcoming.

So I then wrote directly to the publisher. Still no reply at all.

Maybe there isn't an answer.

Pity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Derek,

Sorry you didn't get an answer sooner.

In short, the game is kind of designed to break. After all, that's what brings about the end of the game - the Assets run out and either the money is all lent out, or it's all bonused away or it's been embezzled and there's no more left to keep the banks running. If you like, that's the 'point' of the game.

Although it hasn't happened to me personally, I can imagine that a particularly devastating bunching of interest payment cards could rape the Asset deck and stop the churn of money too early on in the game. That's the luck of the card draw really and I agree that more Asset cards would be nice and in fact we've played with two games shuffled together and it does make for a longer, more stable game.

I'd definitely urge you to give it another go, shuffle those event cards well and - if need be - examine the deck briefly to check for bunching and then cut it a couple of times. That's a bit overkill, but you may find it saves a potentially wonky game.

Cheers,
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Carver
United Kingdom
Cobham
Surrey, UK
flag msg tools
designer
I'm pleased you replied Andrew because I very much wanted to like this game. However, long experience has taught me that one cannot rely on cards to be cooperative. It was unfortunate that this happened on our very first game - first plays being so important. At least it appears that we did not get a rule wrong.

Like you, I felt that a larger asset deck would be the answer and if you've a spare pack that you would sell separately from the full game I'd be prepared to buy it..

- Derek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sheerin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Derek,

Yes it's a real shame that your first experience of the game was like that. This is our first card game and while we really like the format, we've learnt that the random element of cards throws up some unique problems. I don't think we've overcome those problems entirely in Crunch, but I do know that the vast majority of games 'feel right'.

It's a good idea about selling extra Asset decks. We don't have just Asset decks in stock, but I'll look into getting it done and will let you know.

All the best,
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salzwedel
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TerrorBull Games wrote:
Hi Derek,

Yes it's a real shame that your first experience of the game was like that. This is our first card game and while we really like the format, we've learnt that the random element of cards throws up some unique problems. I don't think we've overcome those problems entirely in Crunch, but I do know that the vast majority of games 'feel right'.

It's a good idea about selling extra Asset decks. We don't have just Asset decks in stock, but I'll look into getting it done and will let you know.

All the best,
Andrew

It's an interesting concept for a game, but it looks like you need some more playtesting. There is a bit too much chaos in the turn order, there are too few asset cards, the event card payout requirements are too high, the hedge bet cards have too big an impact on the game, and you have a runaway winner problem once anyone gets a bit of an advantage in their hand size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Davidson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
The standard bonus events seem broken to me. In our first game, the CEO in the lead position always voted against bonuses and this seems to be a no-brainer which breaks the game. The fix seems simple - allow CEOs to pay bonuses as they please. If they overdo it, their bank will be short of cash and go bankrupt so there's a natural check and balance there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mr munkki
msg tools
from my time playing this I believe any problems of it's brokenness could be fixed simply by an increased number of 'cash' gold' and 'counter' cards. This would free up more of the actions on the asset cards to play. Also less value on some of the action cards would promote there play more.
What do people think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Planteater
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I really enjoy this game.
Me and my friends take a really aggressive approach to the game, which seems to work best.
It was suggested above that you allow CEOs to pay themselves a bonus at anytime. You can already do this, you just can't get seen doing it. It's not any fun if you don't embezzle like crazy. Sure, your bank will go bankrupt, but as long as you have a lot of assets up your sleeve (or in your pocket, or under your hat...) you'll do ok in the end.
I have noticed when teaching new people to play they tend to focus on running the bank, not on gaining personal wealth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's probably because most people aren't evil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.