Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone recommend a good history book that focuses on the Middle Eastern Theatre of WWI?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Slizewski
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing this game I read both

Hell in the Holy Land, which covered primarily the Egypt and Palestine campaigns. It's worth reading though not exactly a page turner.

and

I Order You to Die, which reads like the author's doctoral thesis. It's great for researching a game but dry, dry, dry. If you like writing of the type: "XVI corps moved to Bitlis, while XIV corps covered the 4th Battalion's withdrawl through Van. VII corps meanwhile was resting in the Kivara reagion etc... this is for you. There's lots of good information here but it's a chore to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Peace to End All Peace by David Fromkin. It covers the politics, but also some of the fighting. Focuses on the demise of the Ottoman Empire in the Levant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Stock
United States
Elsah
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More stuff keeps coming out. Fromkin is a good place to start.

An older overview of British theaters = Carver, Michael & Robertson, Ian G.; The National Army Museum Book of the Turkish Front 1914-18: The Campaigns at Gallipoli, in Mesopotamia and in Palestine. There are some cheap copies on ebay lately.

There is not much on the Russian front. An old book by Allen and Muratoff -- Caucasian Battlefields -- is probably about it. A good, but somewhat dry book. Can be a bit confusing at times due to detail. Expensive. But worth it if you are really interested.

The British official histories from Battery Press are cool if you get really interested. Even a whole book on the Persian front!

I haven't yet read Dunsterville's memoirs of Baku and Persia, but they should be cool!

Lots of old books scanned in online now as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Volpe
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larz Welo
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
No more stones. No more spears. No more slings. No more swords. No more weapons! NO MORE SYSTEMS!
badge
You can fire your arrows from the Tower of Babel, but you can never strike God!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the last few chapters apply, but "The Decline and Fall of the Ottoman Empire" was a great book that I read. I gave a pretty good historical survey from 1840 to 1924 and was very interesting to read. It also helped me understand how the Balkan countries formed and some of the developments in the Caspian area.

The part that was hardest for me was the different European ambassadors who all had similar names. I could keep the Turks straight, but the Euros...man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Carey
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good book is Immortal: A military history of Iran and its Armed Forces, by Steven R. Ward, recently published by Georgtown University Press. There are several chapters about Iran in World War I.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.