Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
So this is not really a session report, but I played in a five-player game last night and chose the Preacher as my governor. There was exactly one season in which everyone built a building - I thus netted 14 VP from my governor card. Has this been other people's experience with the Preacher in a game with lots of players, or was this a fluke confluence of people not building in different seasons?

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably depends on the other Events that came out during the game. If the Events are nasty, and players get blocked out of resources they need, then it's fairly common for at least 1 player to not build each Season.

I know that if I was playing in a game against the Preacher, I would keep extra goods on hand to make sure I have something cheap to build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That was the group consensus for the first play of the expansion; and someone had the preacher.

I'm sure there's a strategy to overcome it, however it's a matter of knowing what to do. Perhaps a few more plays will flesh that out or make the preacher a "non playable".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
I'm guessing the Preacher gets exponentially worse as the number of players decreases, as well. So maybe he's only balanced in a 2-3 player game. We did have several hard enemy and lack of resources events in the game, however, so yes that could have made it tougher for people to build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sochan

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I netted roughly 4 to 5 points in a 3-player game when I choose the Preacher.

Based on the games I played, the Preacher and the Schemer are the two governors I would choose in a 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's obvious that some characters are better with more/fewer players. I wonder if there's a system that could be developed similar to Agricola where the choice of characters being used changes depending on # of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
frog213 wrote:
It's obvious that some characters are better with more/fewer players. I wonder if there's a system that could be developed similar to Agricola where the choice of characters being used changes depending on # of players?

(Andrea and) I do not think any of them is so overpowered that needs to be excluded when playing with certain numbers of players (except the Duke, who proved too strong with 2). Yes, their power can change, and I think that learning when it is wiser to take one or the other is one of the challenges of that module of the expansion. Just like "how to contrast the Preacher", for example.
Of course, if your group prefers to divide the Governors into "stacks" and use only some of them based (for example) on how many players are in the game, you're welcome to do so.
Have fun! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The preacher can net you 12-13 points as well as 2-3 even in a 5 players game. It depends on the events, the rolls, and especially the strategy of the other players. Said that, it's of course stronger when playing in 5 than in a 3 players game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.