Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: FTL population loss rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What number do you need to roll to avoid population loss when using FTL Control?

This isn't something I would think I'd need to ask, but I suddenly find myself with conflicting reports. Page 13 of my rulebook says "if a 6 or lower is rolled, then a number of population is lost..." but a few sources on this site seem to think that a 6 or greater avoids the loss (PBF Game 7, for one, and the quick reference sheet in the download section has it as 6+ also). Is my rulebook just wrong? Was there errata to this at some point?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
The current player rolls the die, and if a “6” or lower is rolled,
then a number of population is lost equal to the number listed
on the current space of the Jump Preparation track. Players
then follow all steps for “Jumping the Fleet” on this page.

In other words, 7 and 8 is the only thing that saves the population - or 25% chance of keeping everyone.

Seems everyone else is wrong. I am curious to know where we made this mistake in Game 07 - perhaps it was just an off hand remark from memory?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's handy to remember that it's only a 25% chance of saving your population (7-8), but that a a Strategic Planing will make it a nice round 50% chance of rolling 5-8.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I am curious to know where we made this mistake in Game 07 - perhaps it was just an off hand remark from memory?


It was towards the end - the second-to-last jump. Hereabouts. Sadly, I think it was a -3 jump, or else you could say pretty confidently that it didn't have an effect on the result... (The Geeklist for the end of the previous turn isn't complete, but the jump track was at Red 2 at the end of the turn before that.) soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Seems everyone else is wrong. I am curious to know where we made this mistake in Game 07 - perhaps it was just an off hand remark from memory?


I've been looking back through the thread, it looks like a mistake was made on the jump from 6 to 9 distance, humans should have lost 3 population, so it would have been dicey to risk the final jump at -3. But we all missed it and I suspect it would only have ended extending the game by another couple of turns.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
DaveD wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

Seems everyone else is wrong. I am curious to know where we made this mistake in Game 07 - perhaps it was just an off hand remark from memory?


I've been looking back through the thread, it looks like a mistake was made on the jump from 6 to 9 distance, humans should have lost 3 population, so it would have been dicey to risk the final jump at -3. But we all missed it and I suspect it would only have ended extending the game by another couple of turns.

Yeah, that was an oversight on our part. Towards the end, we got a bit choppy due to personal issues. So it was hard to stay focused and I think we were all getting a bit rusty with the rules.

Our win now gets an asterisk.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Yeah, that was an oversight on our part. Towards the end, we got a bit choppy due to personal issues. So it was hard to stay focused and I think we were all getting a bit rusty with the rules.

Our win now gets an asterisk.


Yeah, reading through it, I could see how it happened. Unfortunate, but really not worth worrying about considering what else was going on. And anyway, as DaveD said, I think the humans would have pulled it out anyway.

Of course, if you're worried about it, you guys could do a third run just to clear things up... cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards and rulebook could've been more consistent. Some parts it says less than, others say 'this' or less.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arrrrr'lex
Germany
Geestland
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Frak!

Another misstake on my sheet of many done through moderating this game *sigh*

I think I need more practice. Next weekends game of Werewolves should be a good opportunity for this.

Quote:
Of course, if you're worried about it, you guys could do a third run just to clear things up...


Personnally I wouldn't mind doing that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Clautice
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alex40K wrote:
Quote:
Of course, if you're worried about it, you guys could do a third run just to clear things up...


Personnally I wouldn't mind doing that


I wouldn't mind reading it! It really was more entertaining to read a game where I was already somewhat familiar with the players. There's no body language on the forums, but a little background helps inform where everyone is coming from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.