Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Just played two games of AtB. Any other players find the trucks are too tough? 11 defensive in blue seems waaaay too high to me.

Seems a little unrealistic when compared with armoured cars and half tracks, for example.

Which could lead to them being used in A/C roles on the battlefield rather than what they were used for in real life.

Plus you still need up to two hits to destroy them....

A more realistic defence level would be 5 or 6 on red or blue and one hit destroys them.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolf_3 wrote:

Just played two games of AtB. Any other players find the trucks are too tough? 11 defensive in blue seems waaaay too high to me.

Seems a little unrealistic when compared with armoured cars and half tracks, for example.

Which could lead to them being used in A/C roles on the battlefield rather than what they were used for in real life.

A more realistic defence level would be 5 or 6 on red or blue and one hit destroys them.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Paul

The defence rating isn't based just on the armour of the vehicle, but also the difficulty of hitting it. Trucks could move fairly quickly and were more difficult to hit. I'd say of any of the vehicles too, they had the most area that they could take a hit without it having great effect. (For instance, putting a few bullet holes in the side of a truck isn't going to have much of an effect as it's not a vital area.)

That said, a blue 11 isn't that difficult to hit. For instance, a single German LMG at short range has a higher than 50/50 chance of hitting, and just about any tank from normal range can tear right through a truck with little difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think his point (with which I agree) is that you shouldn't be seeing trucks running around a battlefield and surviving. It gives them an a-historical ability to run around reconnoitering or acting as tactical battle taxis.

Not a huge deal, but point taken IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolf_3 wrote:

Also, close to half of the hit counters are "immobilized" hit counters, and with a truck with virtually no ability to attack, immobilized is as good as destroyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bergström
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I think my biggest problem is the difficulty to stop a truck with a mg- methinks a truck would be very vulnerable to mg-fire; the cab, the wheels, and the driver, who would most likely panic when the bullets start striking. I'd give it red defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Profit wrote:
I think my biggest problem is the difficulty to stop a truck with a mg- methinks a truck would be very vulnerable to mg-fire; the cab, the wheels, and the driver, who would most likely panic when the bullets start striking. I'd give it red defense.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Uwe suggested changing the defense number to red on another thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Storms of Steel, the Germans have trucks and their defence is red - I say go ahead and play them as red defence. In Storms of Steel, there aren't even any trucks on the Soviet side, so it appears they are not in as much use in that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uwe did confirm that trucks would have red defense in SoS. I have been playing that way, though we generally play with 12 red as opposed to 11 blue. Seems to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saunders
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
Aberdeenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Guys,

Some good responses there. I appreciate that the defensive values are a'Global' number based upon, size, speed, armour values etc.

As a long time ASL player I just felt that the numbers were a little high. Firing an AP round at a truck in ASL is almost a waste of time. Machine guns and HE are more effective.

Some food for thought for my next game cool

Ordered a copy after playing 2 scenarios. A much better game than Combat Commander, IMHO.

Cheers

Paul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Saunders
United Kingdom
Blackpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Profit wrote:

I like the idea of a red defence. Makes far more sense than blue I agree with Paul's comments re: AP being useless against a truck.

btw it was me, Paul's brother who he played the two games with. He lost scenario one and then went on to trounce me in the Bunker. My german attack floundered pretty miserably in the village.cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.