United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh crap!

I just got home from work and realized I never had a chance to post this weeks "What did you play this weekend"!

So its time!

This weekend was far far lighter on games then I had hoped.

Friday night the wife and I got in a game of Stone Age. It rocked as always, and we played with a couple of the two player rules that we typically ignore, so it really changed it up.

We had my wife's cousins wedding reception on saturday, so I packed the trunk full of games hoping I could snag random family members and rope them into gaming. It was a really laid back reception, more like a large cookout. Unfortunately, all I got to play was a lone game of Battleball with my brother in law. It was a very good game though, lots of back and forth. I really need to break into the advanced rules for it.

Sunday was supposed to be a relax day, but we ended up spending the entire day cleaning and sorting through our cupboards, because her parents just went on Atkins and gave us like 10 grocery bags of stuff they can't eat now and they didn't want it to expire. Though towards the end of the night, after eating a nice bowl of chilli and watching a couple episodes of House M.D. we finally sat down and got a couple games in. We played a really close game of Bohnanza, and then a quick game of Farkle.

Ah well, I think a couple of my friends want to try out Descent: Journeys in the Dark next weekend, and another group wants to get together for a full game day, so maybe Sunday. At least it will give me something to look forward to all week!

So, What did you play this weekend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
On Saturday, we played two three-player games of Race for the Galaxy with the Gathering Storm expansion, then a couple of games of Keltis (didn't care for it).

Then on Sunday we played an epic game of Arkham Horror with the Dark Pharaoh expansion. Five players, two of whom have never played that expansion before. We went from "we're doomed" to "we may have a chance" to "no, we're doomed" to "wait, we may still have a chance" to "no, doomed" to "wait -- if I do this and she does this, then we can close two gates at once and we win!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh P.
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fiancée got hooked on our newest game, The Downfall of Pompeii, and we played it four times. We also got in two games of Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 and a game of Small World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a pretty busy weekend, but we did manage to fit some games in. We recently got 1960: The Making of the President in a trade and got a chance to try it out. My girlfriend was initially very, very, very skeptical of the theme (she didn't grow up in America, so US politics are not the most exciting subject). However, once we started playing, she really got into it---we were both pretty tense over the last few cube draws before the election. The mark of a good game? She immediately wanted to play another round even though it was close to midnight. She won as Kennedy both times.

The next day, we only had time for 2 games of Race for the Galaxy, which she requested. She won in a landslide both games. We really enjoy Race, as it really packs in a lot in such a short amount of time, and we've gotten in over 30 plays since picking it up only 2 months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the second (third?) session of our Descent: The Road to Legend campaign on saturday, I believe I also played a quick round of Kriegbot with one of the guys on friday (Though it could have been thursday, I'm not certain), tomorrow the next session of our RtL campaign is planned...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter received Aquaretto from my mom, after asking me what she wanted of course on Saturday for her birthday. We played it on Sunday and it was a blast. I've heard people state they prefer it to zooloretto and I have to agree after five plays I think we all agreed that we liked it better as it offered more choices and possibilities. After the kids went to bed Sunday night me and the wife played a few games of San Juan. We haven't played this in a while as we have been stuck on Race for the Galaxy but it was a blast going back to San Juan. Of course she pretty much destroyed me every game last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan Histories: Struggle for Rome twice, and two close games. And Midgard twice, but one player way back and the other two close. And we learned we were playing one of the gold cards wrong. Nuke a province, not a region -- big difference.
Also spent, and currently spending lots of time with Tsushima.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
Played a great game of Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game on Sunday. Four players, three of whom had never played before. They got restless while explaining rules, but ended up really getting into the game. I'd only played five- and six-player sessions before, so I was a little worried at how it would play with fewer, but it was as fun a time as I've had.

Is there any better feeling in gaming than introducing a game that folks like? I mean, winning is cool and all, but there's a real satisfaction when you bring something to the table that really fires on all cylinders. (Conversely, how terrible is it to bust out a game that flops!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A huge amount of Quoridor. And some Boggle. But Wednesday is Tigris & Euphrates Night! Yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
My friends and I played the copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights that I'd received on Friday. Our first game was a full 6 person game.

It's an interesting game, the RPG player in me really likes the storytelling aspect, as a board gamer I kind of miss the player interactions. For most of the game it just feels like you're pretty much on your own.

Overall though, once we had a couple of rounds to get an understanding of the mechanics, it went pretty smoothly. There were only a few mess ups on finding stories because I was getting tired as hell. Looking at some of the files that are up on the BGG site I think we can smooth it out even further next time we play.

EDIT: Oi, didn't mean to thumb up myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We went to visit my dad and stepmother on Saturday, and introduced them to Qwirkle Cubes, Archaeology: the Card Game, Incan Gold, and No Thanks!. My stepmother likes dominoes, and enjoyed Qwirkle Cubes. She got a triple Qwirkle, and beat me by about 36 points! They play cards, so seemed to enjoy/be comfortable with the card games especially. I think the biggest hit was Archaeology: the Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
IF you count Friday, we played

Race for the Galaxy
Ascendancy
Arkham Horror
Duel of Ages
Roads & Boats
Roll through the Ages: The Bronze Age

If not, just the last two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Cooper
United Kingdom
Gateshead
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday was Newcastle Gamers evening, 17 gamers present at the session, this time playing anything from Bang! to ASL.

I'm often busy with setup, meeting and greeting, collecting subs, making coffee, but this weekend I managed 3 games including 2 new ones (to me), which was a nice change. It was also good to see a couple of guys from BGG who hadn't been along before (xTHAWx and pallwood).

I played Stone Age for the first time (outdoors!) - enjoyed, though I think I finished in last place. shake Next played War on Terror for the first time - some people took too seriously so it wasn't as much fun as it could have been. Finished the evening off with Alhambra which I'm always happy to play.

When I finally got home, I opened VASSAL for a new PBEM game of Twilight Struggle, third in a series with "mimem" from BGG. Playing as USSR for the second time, the card draw looks promising...!

Sunday, I had arranged to meet BGG user "nurdok" who was in the UK (from Israel) for an international debating contest. We decided on a 5 player game of El Grande at my home, and after that 4 of us rounded off the evening with a(nother) game of Alhambra.

Looking forward to continuing a 4-player (face to face) campaign of The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen this coming Sunday. benjebobs and rennyb from BGG are also involved. A bit limited for time, we're playing a game-day per session, and we're at 6am on 18th Sept. I had meant to post a report of our first session, but have spent spare geek-time uploading some content for RPG geek. Will do it later in the week if I can. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
On Sunday, we played Arkham Horror, with the Kingsport and Dark Pharoah expansions. Shub-Niggurath was the GOO. Investigators won, led by some masterful gameplay by my sister in law Mary, as Jenny Barnes the Dilettante. She drew two revolvers and the Ythian rifle at the start, which pretty much made her the monster killer. A memorable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie Foulds
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
designer
Come play games at Newcastle Gamers!
badge
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I managed to get to the gaming group in Newcastle, UK, this Saturday. There I taught Stone Age to a few people - a very good game, though slowed a little with some rules explaination etc. Unfortunately, I won by a significant margain, which left me feeling a little bad as I don't like teaching games and then wiping the floor with the pupils. We also managed to get in a game of War on Terror, which was completely insane - terrorists winning in one turn by wiping out 2 other Empires at the same time. Finally, we slotted in a quick game of Alhambra before I had to leave.

On Sunday, I had a couple of friends over in the evening and played a few games of Dominion - the session report for one can be found here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/429096.

All in all, good times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henry
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday night

Space Alert Space Alert, Space Alert and some more Space Alert. Had a total blast! I think we played 7 missions.

Also played a few rounds of Monsterpocalypse, and tested out Wings of War: Famous Aces. Much fun was had by all. Also played my first game of Paranoia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game of Camelot Legends with the kids on Saturday afternoon. My 13 year-old son won - of course! He reads the cards, remembers every special power and ... wins.

The kids played a few rounds of 10 Days in Asia. Their games seemed pretty quick, but that's the 2-player game for you.

We all played countless games of Pente throughout the weekend. I got it out of the cupboard last weekend and have had it set up on the table for the past week. I had forgotten how easy it is to play, but also how addictive. It's a nice game to just have sitting out, ready for a quick 5 minute game. The only thing is, if I want to have it sitting out, I need a more attractive (perhaps wooden) board than the Parker Brothers edition that I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend my girlfriend and I introduced a mutual friend (a nongamer) to Ticket to Ride. I won with 131 points, with the others back in the middle double digits. We think our friend enjoyed the game. She and I had introduced it to my brother and sister-in-law last weekend, and we're happy with how intense the game got.

Saturday was a quiet gaming day, but we did manage to get in a game of Thurn and Taxis after a evening birthday party at another friend's house. My girlfriend has beaten me in nearly every game we've played of this recent purchase.

Sunday she and I went "thrifting." We picked up Mad Gab and a Cribbage board at Goodwill and nearly purchased Quick Wit at Savers. Neither of us had played cribbage before, so, while she was at soccer, I read the rules at Pagat.com and at Wikipedia. When we played our first game after dinner, she fell behind but soon caught up. It was a photo finish, as I pulled ahead in a close win.

A nice light weekend. We will likely try out cribbage again tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wife and I got in two games of Stone Age, our first two games. What a great game! I can't wait to play with more than two. Carolyn won the first game pretty handily, and I won the second game 405 - 369. Pretty epic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicki Scheele
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three,3p games of Agricola using the K deck for the first time. Usually play with 2p and between adjusting to playing with 3p and the new K deck I was pretty overwhelmed. Finally, in the third game figured out that I had so over weighted the occupation cards and their potential, all balance was gone and balance is the game. Had a lot of fun playing but did poorly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first weekend of solid gaming in a while, and it turned out great!

Drove about 160 miles to visit some of my friends and introduce them to a few games.

Saturday night was a 3 player game (with K and D) of Agricola (family version). D caught on quickly and bested me by one point. K was a little caught off guard and suffered with some negative points. They definitely enjoyed it a lot once the initial shock of all the options wore off.

Sunday was a full day of gaming. We (me and D) hopped over to the FLGS and played some of their demo games.
D introduced me to Condottiere, which he had tried once before. Clever little game. We won one game each.
Then we tried out Pandemic to change up the pace. It was fun, but we found it quite easy when we won. Turns out we read a rule wrong which gave us a huge advantage. Makes me want to play it again to see what it's really like.
After that, I busted out my copy of Hive to teach D. We played 3 games, of which I won all 3 being the experienced player, showing him the different techniques.
At that point the 'games night' at the store began, and people started filling up the place. Two of our friends showed up and we decided to play a round of BANG! before D and I headed out. I was the first to be eliminated. I'm no good at bluffing and I got ganged up on.
Later in the night, D and I played another 3 rounds of Hive and D finally beat me in the last game with an extremely clever maneuver. I was really impressed.
After D left, K and I played a 2-player game of Agricola, in which I got completely destroyed. Wanted to try out the baking bread strategy and I was trounced. K scored a lot higher and understood better how to balance several goals.

Oh yeah, I also picked up a copy of Babylon at the FLGS that day. I like buying small games/items whenever I make use of gaming space.

Edit: Spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I was traveling so only had time for 2 games: Archaeology: The Card Game and Pick Up Sticks. The latter I found for $4 at Gamespace in San Francisco. My son and wife love this retro game. The good news is that they also enjoy Archaeology: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter (6) and I played a couple of games of Ubongo on Sunday. She did quite well and even beat me on completing some of the puzzles. Naturally, she was very excited about finishing a puzzle before Papa. That's why I got to play two games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Magalhães
Brazil
Olinda
Pernambuco
flag msg tools
Come on! It's Sci-Fi!
badge
Get Your Finger Out of My Face!! =D
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin: Medieval + exp 2n3 - 7 Players (1x)
Formula D - 7 Players (1x)
Carcassonne - 5 Players (1x)
Pandemic - 3 Players (2x)
Red November - 3 Players (2x)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The weekend it was one of my monthly game-a-thons I hold so I played:

Looping Louie (A bunch of times)
Sorry! Sliders (um, more than a dozen rounds)
Puerto Rico
Finca
Colessum
Thebes
Fury of Dracula
Bridge Troll
Race for the Galaxy (twice)
San Juan (twice)
Ultimate Werewolf (5 games)
Planet Steam
Space Alert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.