Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: GeekDo vs. BGG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: geekdo_dont [+] [View All]
Your observations are correct. GeekDo is a much more expansive project, with the capability to catalog and host discussions of just about anything.

I believe www.boardgamegeek.com will be kept; it will just start redirecting to boardgame.geekdo.com.

At this point the guts of the database (between www.bgg.com and bg.geekdo.com) are the same; the interface is the main thing that differs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have a few hours, here's discussion of the geekdo redesign (among other things)...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/421834

-Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Siddy wrote:
GeekDo is for boardgames AND role-playing games with a slightly different interface. It contains all the dame data as BGG. If I update one, the other also gets updated.

BGG is for boardgames only and has the original interface. No RPGs allowed.

If my observations are true, are BGG's days numbered? Will BGG be absorbed into GeekDo?

rpg.geekdo.com is for RPGs only.
bgg.geekdo.com is for Boardgames only.

Someday we might see videogames.geekdo.com or something else under the geekdo umbrella.

BGG as in www.boardgamegeek,com is not going away. Derk & Aldie both have said so. Geekdo is not a replacement for the BGG brand or site, just a way to link all these together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
First a site redesign, then videogames. I'm as anxious to get there as you are, but the redesign is well past due.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:
First a site redesign, then videogames. I'm as anxious to get there as you are, but the redesign is well past due.

Note the badge. This is an ex cathedra statement, especially from Derk. Aldie is the head geek and Derk is his prophet. laugh

Welcome to Board Game Geek, Geekdō style,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Aldie and I created boardgamegeek.com together back in 2000. I've been employed elsewhere since then, but I've always been peripherally involved, especially in strategy planning. I still retain ownership of (nearly) half of the site. In the last several months, I've taken on the job of business development and marketing for geekdo and couldn't be happier about the move.

Site redesign and then videogame.geekdo.com. This is the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeekDo doesn't have a Quickbar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:

I'm concerned that video games don't have the same "timeless" quality that RPGs and boardgames have. I don't know how active the forum for something like Burger Time would be compared to whatever the release of the month is. That said, I'm very much looking forward to this new revelation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
This is coming. Aldie is tweaking the code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
derk wrote:

Really Derk? Come one...books before video games, sure I love playing video games as much as the next guy but I dont need a site to catalogue those for me, I rarely keep my games after Ive finished them and trade them in for new ones...(and Im not the only one who does this as businesses like Gamestop and Amazon's trade feature have proven).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um, we are going to get MORE content. Even if you don't use it, what's the downside? I'm 100% confident that they'll either have the resources to do a videogames site or will get them. I don't think they will cut off their bread and butter for a new site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
sisteray wrote:
This is coming. Aldie is tweaking the code.

Promises, promises....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
derk wrote:

Really Derk? Come one...books before video games, sure I love playing video games as much as the next guy but I dont need a site to catalogue those for me, I rarely keep my games after Ive finished them and trade them in for new ones...(and Im not the only one who does this as businesses like Gamestop and Amazon's trade feature have proven).

I second the motion! Books first - I'd love to catalog them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
spearjr wrote:

rpg.geekdo.com is for RPGs only.
bgg.geekdo.com is for Boardgames only.

Not really as I can see the BGG tab in the RPG Geekdo and the RPG tab in the BGG Geekdo. And can switch between these two domains easily. In BoardGameGeek - I have exactly what I want - just boardgames.

I am continuing to use the Boardgamegeek interface as it doesn't have the RPG tab (something in which I have zero interest) and does have both the Quickbar and Google Search. Once these features (and the ability to hide/disable tabs of sections I don't want) are implemented, then I will consider migrating to Geekdo.

And I really wish I could change the upper left corner avatar/icon of the contemplative Geekdo Geek to the BGG running Geek in BGG.Geekdo. Personally, I have a user interface issue with using the same graphic for both BGG.geekdo and RPG.geekdo. In my mind, clicking the icon should take you to the same spot in the website regardless of your location - but on Geekdo, the action of the avatar/icon varies depending on where you are. Clicking the icon takes you to different locationss - the home location for the subset you are in. My preference is that for consistency the same icon return you to the same page regardless of where you are in overall website.

Why is this important to me? For example, I am browsing in games and someone posts a link to an RPG thread that I happen to click on and follow. The icon should change to help me realize I am in a different neighbourhood of Geekdo and that clicking it won't get me back to my old neighbourhood, but to the top of the new area. Small issue I admit, but just another thing that keeps me away from Geekdo at the moment.

Edit to add:
One more benefit to me for staying with Boardgamegeek - the recently viewed list doesn't list the things in RPG that I might have viewed. Geekdo's recently viewed list is an amalgamation of both BGG and RPG - so the two sites as listed above aren't separate at all - just two neighbourhoods in the overall community.) Nevermind, this apparently is a synch-lag issue as BGG eventually does display the same Recently Viewed list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
Profesor Mora wrote:
I don't know if I want/need a site to rate artistic works, with rankings, tops and all that stuff.

So, boardgames aren't artistic works to you, eh? Infidel!!!robotrobotrobot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about iworshipattheshrineofaldie.geekdo.com
or
derkismymaster.geekdo.com
or
dominionintrigueis(not)anexpansion.geekdo.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:
In BoardGameGeek - I have exactly what I want - just boardgames.

Hallelujah. I don't want the RPG or video game stuff, and I truly appreciate having BGG, where I see only what I'm interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Berkeley Lake
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It sounds like a few would actually have a problem with simply seeing a link to another section of a site. Is this correct?

If you went to the grocery store and went to buy your milk, then found out that there was another refridgerator added that had dairy alternatives like soy milk, would this also bother you? Would either bother you so much as to make you stop visiting?

I personally never contemplated a negative response to keeping everything the same, and adding on top of it. When you buy shaving cream, but they add on a freebie razor for the same price, even if you don't use that particular razor, do you purposefully buy the one without it? I buy it, and keep it in my bathroom for a just in case scenario. It is interesting to see that something like this could be viewed as a downside.

All of the above is to say that the existing features and benefits of said product don't decline or get detracted from, of course. If I went in and found that half of the milk options I buy are gone because soy milk was added, then of course thats a problem, but I don't see that happening here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An important technical issue is that we are already seeing intra-site linking get all messed up. Some use boardgamegeek.com, some www.boardgamegeek.com, some bgg.cc, and now we'll have geekdo.com in all its manifestations. This affects login/cookies, recently visisted link color, the entire look of the site (right now), and many browser plugins, settings, and scripts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
RPardoe wrote:
In BoardGameGeek - I have exactly what I want - just boardgames.

Hallelujah. I don't want the RPG or video game stuff, and I truly appreciate having BGG, where I see only what I'm interested in.

I don't need the other stuff, but if it makes the site more successful then so be it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
ohgeetee wrote:
It sounds like a few would actually have a problem with simply seeing a link to another section of a site. Is this correct?

No. I already see (and sometimes follow) links to RPG as the various link forms (as mentioned by Ekted above) are used.

My personal issue is that when I follow a link to the "alternative dairy" section - it looks a lot like the "bovine dairy" section but the navigation to get back is different (click the BGG tab, not the Avatar). To extend your analogy, I consider this like stepping into an elevator at my grocery store and then having it delivery me to the store next door (eg doors in back of the elevator open). Now I am wondering around a store that looks like my original store but isn't. To make it easier for folks to get around - just brand each section a bit more uniquely, that is all.

As for "shutting off the RPG tab - I can already optimize the layout with various modules and like. So eventually, I suspect that I will be able to do that here. Look at Amazon for example. As soon as your are in one of their departments (books, movies, etc), one doesn't see tabs/navigation to their other sections. One must navigate to Amazon's homepage to dive down elsewhere (or switch the search to ALL DEPARTMENTS). That is akin to what I hope GeekDo will eventually become.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bell
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
derk wrote:

I like the idea of having the videogame section as well for the reason that there are many out there like Luftwaffe Flak AND the fact that I tend to be cheap when it comes to buying videogames. I buy most of my videogames used. I rarely buy the current titles (at the high prices) and instead buy the top game from two or three years ago. Plays much better on my non-tricked out PC (or at all on my PS2 or XBox ), and I find them just as much enjoyable. Having a site similar to BBG where I tend to trust the reviews, and can keep track of my collection, will be awesome.

Keep up the great work guys, and thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reynolds
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Books don't belong here, sorry. A subsection of books about games, MAYBE... but books are a totally different animal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
naeblis wrote:
Books don't belong here, sorry. A subsection of books about games, MAYBE... but books are a totally different animal.

I think the idea is to make "geek" the limiting factor, not "game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
One is an established brand, the other is a bad name that read with out accents - as per standard western English, and how it is written in the URL - is a euphemism for excrement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.