Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh small
United States
Corry
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im looking for a space themed wargame, something deep. Needs to be solable or at least reasonably able to be worked around to solo. Id rather no miniatures as that would drive price up im sure but will take what i can get. hopefully something like this exists. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Federation Commander: Klingon Border and the rest of the series might work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

Yeah, they look awesome, and thanks to that, I put down 100 Pound yesterday for an entry into the series, goddamnit -.-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
First off, I don't think there's a whole ton of space themed wargames out there, let alone that fit all your criteria.

The only space wargame I'm very familiar with is Battlefleet Gothic, but it has miniatures and would be pretty sucky to play solo.

Perhaps Star Fleet Battles would work. I'm pretty sure it has no plastic (at least none contained in the base game). Iirc, Star Fleet Battles seems to be the ASL of sci-fi games, so that should be deep enough for you. I'm not sure how it plays solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
ekted wrote:

Yeah, they look awesome, and thanks to that, I put down 100 Pound yesterday for an entry into the series, goddamnit -.-

If you're pissed about it, why did you even do it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
ekted wrote:

If you're pissed about it, why did you even do it?

Being a bad choice was never reason enough for me not to do something. O_o
Besides, I'm not pissed about spending 100 Pounds, I'm pissed that they ask for that kind of money for components that cost them at most 10-20 pounds in production. Unfortunately, that's not about to change, so who cares, money's there to be spent on something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Schenectady
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StarForce 'Alpha Centauri': Interstellar Conflict in the 25th Century
I've never played, but it looks like it may meet your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shooting Stars is one of my favorites. Not as much fun for solo play, though, as it is tactical and the vector movement system used really is better suited to two/multi-player play. Starfall might work better, or Stellar Conquest.

Attack Vector: Tactical might do the trick. You do not need miniatures to play.

Squadron Strike is the fleet version.

Star Wars: Star Warriors is one of the best games ever made, IMO.

A Sky Full of Ships looks pretty interesting.

Battlestar Galactica: Colonial Battlefleet shows promise.

Star Trek: Starship Tactical Combat Simulator looks like a great game.

Hard Vacuum is a lot of fun.

Majestic Twelve Games makes a couple of neat looking games: Starmada: The Admiralty Edition and Iron Stars.

Counters can EASILY be found and used for all the miniatures games listed.

From what I have heard, Web and Starship is only playable solo.

Freedom in the Galaxy gets pretty good reviews from people whose reviews I trust.

Star Trader is supposed to be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel LaFleur
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Burnham wrote:
First off, I don't think there's a whole ton of space themed wargames out there, let alone that fit all your criteria.

The only space wargame I'm very familiar with is Battlefleet Gothic, but it has miniatures and would be pretty sucky to play solo.

Perhaps Star Fleet Battles would work. I'm pretty sure it has no plastic (at least none contained in the base game). Iirc, Star Fleet Battles seems to be the ASL of sci-fi games, so that should be deep enough for you. I'm not sure how it plays solo.

SFB is very fun to play, but is not really designed for solo (there are 'monster scenarios ... but they'll get boring after a while).

There are pewter minis for SFB but they are not needed to enjoy the game as the chits that come in the game are sufficient (at least for me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh small
United States
Corry
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the replies, gave me a alot to look at and decide which is best for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Overgauss .
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just won two separate copies of Babylon 5: A Call To Arms revised box set on ebay. One for $8 and the other for 17.65. Both including shipping!

Quote:
From the publisher's website:

A Call to Arms is the game of space combat in the universe of Babylon 5. Throughout the station’s turbulent history, armed fleets have enacted the harsher policies of their governments. Now you can play out these confrontations on the tabletop with entire fleets drawn from the Earth Alliance, Minbari Federation, Narn Regime, Centauri Republic, or any one of the many other races that dwell in the galaxy.

From skirmishes involving single cruisers hunting down raiders to the clashing of allied fleets against the forces of ancient beings aeons old, A Call to Arms is your ticket to exciting battles that take place in the depths of space. From tiny forces of raiders to the massed battle of Corianna VI, involving the League of Non-Aligned Worlds, Minbari, Vorlons and Shadows, anything is possible!

This giant box set contains a complete rulebook, a ship recognition guide with nearly 100 different classes of warship inside, a giant Babylon 5 space combat poster and enough counters to immediately begin using all the ships in the game several times over! The main box set contains counters for every one of the 90+ ships detailed in the rulebooks but stand by for highly detailed fleet box sets to be made available later this year, including the Earth Alliance, Centauri Republic and ISA!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.