Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently moved to L.A. and I am looking for people to game with. I've found a few public groups from searching the internet but I thought I would ask the good people of BGG to help me out with some public groups in the area. I live in Hollywood and don't currently have a car but should be getting one soon.

I mostly play euros, but my two favorite games are Descent and Twilight Struggle so I can lean towards other types of games as well.

Anything you could suggest would be great. I just moved here from San Francisco, and the gaming in the Bay area is great. I am going to miss the people who I gamed with there, but i hope to meet many new great people to play games with here in Southern California.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Witchey
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange County has quite a strong gaming community. However, the gaming sessions are probably too far south for you (especially without a car).

Here is a link: http://www.meetup.com/ocboardgames/. You can also find pointers to gaming groups further north, closser to Hollywood from OCBG.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a really nice bunch of people who play in the South Bay called The Random Wargamers.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/544
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Check out:

www.socalgamesday.com
www.socalgamers.info
www.laboardgames.com

All of which do activities near-ish you.

LABoardgames is probably the closest and most consistent to you.

SoCalGamers also has links to a number of other groups in the greater LA area.

There are also Meetups scattered around the area.

There's also gaming at a number of local stores, but that can have it's own issues. ;)

If you do mailing lists, consider the SoCalGamesDay and SoCalGamers mailing lists; lots of stuff gets posted and discussed there.

And of course, if you do the public thing successfully, that often leads to private invitations as well...there are lots and lots of private groups out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph DiMuro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group meets here on Sunday afternoons:

http://www.gameempirepasadena.com/

Check out the following geeklist for a list of some of the tournaments we have held, or will be holding in the near future:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43885

Only one problem though. We already have two Joes, including myself. If you join in, things will get way too complicated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E.R. Burgess
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And hopefully you will join us for SoCal's own convention trilogy, Strategicon. Gateway 2009 is set for Sep 4th to 7th and is down by LAX. Hope you can join us! More info: www.strategicon.net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
fnord23 wrote:

This is the place to start.

(Hi, Chris! LTNS)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for their suggestions so far, I appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:
And hopefully you will join us for SoCal's own convention trilogy, Strategicon. Gateway 2009 is set for Sep 4th to 7th and is down by LAX. Hope you can join us! More info: www.strategicon.net.
Unfortunately I will be out of town for Labor Day. This would have been a great way to meet people in the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnston
United States
North Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I originally got into gaming through http://www.mypeopleconnection.com/... less gaming events hosted nowadays, but they're still a good group of people to meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to UCLA at the moment, but there's a cool store called Aero Hobbies that is near Santa Monica. I think they might have events there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheylon wrote:

Oh! I wanna go.. Gotta convince a friend or two first.. I'm in the Hermosa Beach area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryl Aday
United States
Los Angeles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try LA Games -- www.laboardgames.com. They meet twice a week in Hollywood -- Friday eves and Sunday afternoons.

Cheryl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheryladay wrote:
Try LA Games -- www.laboardgames.com. They meet twice a week in Hollywood -- Friday eves and Sunday afternoons.

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl. I've actually been twice once on Sunday and once on Friday. I'm out of town for a few weeks but I plan on attending again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.