Subject: Simple Mod rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Has anyone tried starting the overlord with different numbers of cards depending on the number of heroes?

Normally the overlord starts with 3 cards. What effect would it have if the overlord starts with a number of cards equal to number of heroes? It would make it easier for 2 heroes, and harder for 4 or 5.

I guess it would encourage a 4-5 hero overlord to be super-aggressive at the start, but isn't that usually a good thing? Likewise, slowing a 2 hero overlord down at the start would help wouldn't it?

Would this effect be big enough to be noticeable? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whoa, I think you're onto something there. I would also be inclined to reduce the max hand side down from 8, because discarding cards is the main way that the overload gets threat. I'll have to try this out.

edit: or be forced to discard without getting threat, I'm not sure how to interpret this rule all of a sudden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I don't see that the OL starting with one or two more/less cards is gonna make a very big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Quimpo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. The number of cards drawn per turn would probably be a better scaling method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rickard
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
I don't see that the OL starting with one or two more/less cards is gonna make a very big difference.

There are some quests that start you with more cards "A Small Problem" is one off the top of my head. In that quest you get 6 to start and as the OL I think this is a big help. The heroes are most vulnerable at the start of the game before they start opening chests. With 6 cards to start I have much more threat to play early traps or better yet get out an early power card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elcomadreja2 wrote:
whoa, I think you're onto something there. I would also be inclined to reduce the max hand side down from 8, because discarding cards is the main way that the overload gets threat. I'll have to try this out.

edit: or be forced to discard without getting threat, I'm not sure how to interpret this rule all of a sudden.

The OL always receives threat for discarding cards, even if he's forced to due to going over his hand limit.

Reducing the OL-Handlimit thus wouldn't reduce his total amount of threat, just his ability to generate a lot of threat in a sudden move as opposed to slowly, and his flexibility. I generally don't even max out my hand limit as OL, but I do think it's a good thing to have the option.
I do however believe that this (reducing the handlimit) would increase downtime, I don't know about others, but being forced to discard cards right after I've drawn them is one of the things that take the longest in most games (for me, anyway). Right now, the max handlimit is a good buffer for me, I'd think the same would go for other OLs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, there's nothing wrong with my suggestion - it just doesn't go far enough? Still, I guess it's better than nothing.

I was hoping to find an elegant way to mildly adjust the difficulty without swinging things too far in favour of either the heroes or the overlord. (From what I've read elsewhere, drawing an extra card each turn works ok for 5 heroes, but is a bit much otherwise - and I wanted to help 2-hero parties as well).

Well, we might try it and see what happens...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Munger
United States
Harker Heights
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea: Why not increase the overlord's hand draw each time a chest is opened? For example, after the first chest is opened, the overlord gains one additional card each turn for the remainder of the game. Scaling may be nessicary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand - Are you suggesting this to balance 4 or 5 hero parties?

What would you advocate to make it easier for 2 hero parties?

I was looking for a simple mechanic which would help to balance things both ways...

I guess if such a thing existed, everyone would be using it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

From reading around a few other threads, it seems some people have had some success with the following house rules

2-hero overlords draw 1 card/turn.
5-hero overlords draw 3 cards/turn.

I would have thought this skewed the game too much, but maybe not. Has anyone here tried either of these? If so, which, and how did it work out for you?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gilles Duchesne
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dfiler76 wrote:
From reading around a few other threads, it seems some people have had some success with the following house rules

2-hero overlords draw 1 card/turn.
5-hero overlords draw 3 cards/turn.

I would have thought this skewed the game too much, but maybe not. Has anyone here tried either of these? If so, which, and how did it work out for you?

Alright... Back when I only owned the basic game, I would do 1 card/turn with 2 heroes, and 3 cards/turn with 4 heroes. I found the former worked fine, but the latter not so much - sometimes it wasn't enough, sometimes it was too much, depending on what I'd end up drawing in the first turns.

Nowadays, if I were to play a vanilla game against 4 heroes, I'd suggest having the OL start with both "Doom" & "Hordes of the Things" in play.

I've never tried playing with more heroes than the game suggested. Having said that, I would suspect that a JitD + WoD + AoD (no ToI) would be fairly balanced against 5 heroes...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That's very helpful. Thumbs up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Bob
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What would you suggest for 2players using WoD and AoD? We tried the second scenario in the base game only letting the overlord draw one card at a time, and it seemed to work well except i realized later he wasn't spawning that much at the beginning of the game. I saw somewhere else the suggestion to start with 21 conquest minus the value of the heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.