Popular Tags: [View All]
Alfredo Lorente
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played World in War yesterday, and I spent some time today looking through the message board trying to get some clarification and... advice? In any case, I was not satisfied with what I found out, so I thought I would post something.

First, I'd like to see if we played the battles correctly -- after reading some of the postings, I am not 100% certain we did this right.

For example: The Soviets launch an attack against the German army in Poland. The Soviets have three tanks, two infantry, four guns, and four planes. The Germans have three tanks, four infantry, two guns, and two planes.

If, for whatever reasons, the Soviets lose their tanks and infantry units , the battle immediately ends and the Soviet player must retreat. My question is whether that holds true for the defender. We played that if the defender lost his last infantry or armor unit, the battle continued with the attacker inflicting any/all legal losses on the defender. We took it one step further and assumed that that battle would continue until the attacker destroyed every remaining unit. To make that more clear...

In the example above, The Soviet player rolls a three, a four, and a ten, which he selects. The German players rolls a one and two twos. He chooses a two.

The German player removes a Soviet tank.
The Soviet player removes a German infantry.

The German player removes a second Soviet tank and can remove no more Soviet pieces.
The Soviet player removes the last German infantry.

The Soviet player now removes the following eight German pieces in this order: The remaining two German infantry, the three German tanks, the two German planes, and one of the German guns. Now the players roll the dice again (the Soviet player still rolls three dice, but the German player only rolls one die this time). Regardless of the result, the Soviet player destroys the remaining German gun and conquers Poland.

While I think that is correct, it may be that the battle would have ended when the Soviet player removed the last German tank. Is the example provided correct?

My second issue is regarding the tanks. I read the thread about tanks being undervalued/underpowered. We tend to agree -- tanks are useful in certain specific situations, but overall, it's better to buy planes instead. Has anybody tried any variants?

Thanks!

Alfredo Lorente

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Benisch
Sweden
Stockholm
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why did you roll the dice a second time? You roll once, chose a die and take turns removing enemy units.

It's always risky to engage someone in a large battle in WIW since you risk losing it all without taking any of the enemy teams with you. WIW doesn't work that well with more then ten units on each side. If you often find yourself in large battles with 10+ units on each side, then I suggest tweaking the system a bit. As well as rolling additional dice, add +1 to the result for each extra dice you roll. That way you'll be able to score more hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfredo Lorente
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sardukar wrote:
Why did you roll the dice a second time? You roll once, chose a die and take turns removing enemy units.

We (meaning I) assumed that we would re-roll after each round of combat. At the time, I didn't check the rules to see if we re-rolled each round. I just looked again, and the rulebook isn't explicit on that point -- I'll defer to you, as you seem to have played the game quite a bit.

I also noticed, re-reading the rules just now, that we (meaning, again, I) missed the bit about the defender's planes being able to reinforce a battle. Oh, and that the U.S. production didn't count for victory determination. 'Tis alright, since the German player won fair and square...

In any case, and to make sure I understand, in the example I posted and quote below...

Quote:
The Soviets launch an attack against the German army in Poland. The Soviets have three tanks, two infantry, four guns, and four planes. The Germans have three tanks, four infantry, two guns, and two planes.

...The Soviet player rolls a three, a four, and a ten, which he selects. The German players rolls a one and two twos. He chooses a two.

The German player removes a Soviet tank.
The Soviet player removes a German infantry.

The German player removes a second Soviet tank and can remove no more Soviet pieces.
The Soviet player removes the last German infantry.

The Soviet player now removes the following eight German pieces in this order: The remaining two German infantry, the three German tanks, the two German planes, and one of the German guns. Now the players roll the dice again (the Soviet player still rolls three dice, but the German player only rolls one die this time). Regardless of the result, the Soviet player destroys the remaining German gun and conquers Poland.

Once the Soviet player removes the tenth German unit, the Soviet player would be able to remove up to ten more German units if they were there, and the German player would only be able to inflict to losses on the Soviet player, had he been able to do so.

In other words, the battle continues until there are no more possible eliminations or the attacker loses his last infantry or armor unit.

(We tried to figure out a situation where a stalemate would occur and were stumped. Those are possible in a sea battle (two submarines remaining, for example), but not in a land battle. Correct?)

Thanks for your help Karl.

Alfredo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Silverman
United States
Halfway between Castro and Mickey Mouse
Florida (FL)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredo lorente wrote:
In other words, the battle continues until there are no more possible eliminations or the attacker loses his last infantry or armor unit.

(We tried to figure out a situation where a stalemate would occur and were stumped. Those are possible in a sea battle (two submarines remaining, for example), but not in a land battle. Correct?)

This is not correct. A battle consists of one die roll per side only (choosing between the dice rolled if multiple dice are allowed). You take turns destroying enemy units up to your die roll (or until you can't legally hit any more units). If neither side is wiped out, then one side or the other will have to retreat in the Retreat Phase based on the retreat rules.

There can be units from both sides in a land area at the end of combat, but there cannot be units from both sides in a land area at the end of the Retreat Phase.

(Apologies if I'm messing up the name of the Retreat Phase -- I don't have the rulebook in front of me.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.