Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A player had an encounter with the Ne'er-Do-Well whom he attacked. Turns out the ne'er-do-well was hitting on some comely youth. The result of the attack was to drive off the ne-er-do-well. The rest of the encounter depended on whether or not the player was the same sex or opposite sex...of *what* we couldn't determine.

Did the encounter mean "opposite sex of the comely youth"? If so...what was the sex of the comely youth? Are we supposed to roll a die to determine? If the youth intended to always be a he? If so, how can you tell when a gender is just generalized (as per the bit in the front of the tales book saying that "he" is used to simply the writing, not to imply gender) or if it's supposed to be a hard-and-fast gender ruling?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comely usually refers to women. The Encounter should be more specific though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have guessed the opposite, as youth is most commonly (though not exclusively) used for young males.

From merriam-webster.com:

2 a : a young person; especially: a young male between adolescence and maturity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
I would have guessed the opposite, as youth is most commonly (though not exclusively) used for young males.

From merriam-webster.com:

2 a : a young person; especially: a young male between adolescence and maturity.

Yeah, youth means the same to me as well which was why it could potentially go either way. However since I believe this was translated from German (in fact I think we found an encounter with either a typo or a rather fitting German word), I could see Anmutig Jungend being the original source to refer to a young comely female which would then be translated back into English as Comely Youth.

Edit: My German is rather rusty, but I believe Jungend uses the neuter form of Die, which means it isn't applied to (typically) only males like "Youth" is in English.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt, just pick the result that would make the game more funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not just randomize it with the destiny die, just like every other turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim - African River
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
However since I believe this was translated from German (in fact I think we found an encounter with either a typo or a rather fitting German word), I could see Anmutig Jungend being the original source to refer to a young comely female which would then be translated back into English as Comely Youth.

The original version was in English, printed by West End Games in New York City. There was a German version later, but I'd assume it was the translation, unless you know that the specific paragraph was added for that version by a German.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comely by itself usually refers to beautiful as in a woman

HOWEVER

a "Comely Youth" is almost always associated with a guy

as is "A Youth"

We met an angry youth along the road ---> this would be a guy

YOUTH is the key word, not COMELY.

I have NEVER seen a singular female referred to as a youth as in "I met a youth the other day"....but have seen females included of course in "the youth of today are such and such" etc and so forth

lol

So a comely youth would be a guy. Plus the adventurous youth is how young men are referred to in the Arabian Nights tales of which I have read many many.

-Doug

(p.s. comely lass is a female )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Clark Jr
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
When in doubt, just pick the result that would make the game more funny.

That is pretty much how we play. Which explains why, when my character went insane, everyone else decided to vote on which option would cause me more pain...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found the paragraph, #468, derived from Lovesick Ne'er-do-well, Matrix D, Punish (with a + result on the Destiny Die)

After reading it, I'd say it's most def. a beautiful boy. In case anyone doesn't wanna see a paragraph they haven't encountered yet, I used the spoiler tags.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Your intervention prevents the ugly other from pressing his perverse suit on a comely youth, who is very grateful to you.

If you are of the opposite sex or are Married: The comely youth insists you accept a small gift in gratitude (reward info).

If you are the same sex and are not Married: The grateful - and most lovely - youth takes both your hands in his, and leads you to a private place where you spend an evening in most pleasant play (reward info).

After all that, as stated before it's about whatever makes it the most fun or funny. I can't wait to play this again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:
Why not just randomize it with the destiny die, just like every other turn?

Yay, do I get points for spotting the Superhawk rant in a ToTAN thread??

Can't wait to pick up this game . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maroney
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
I think I found the paragraph, #468, derived from Lovesick Ne'er-do-well, Matrix D, Punish (with a + result on the Destiny Die)

After reading it, I'd say it's most def. a beautiful boy.

Paragraph #468 can also be reached via an encounter with a Hag (female) as well as a Hunchback, Slave, Thief, or Ne'er-Do-Well (male). My intention with the semi-epicene noun "youth" there was that the "youth" would be the opposite gender from the encountered character. But the word "perverse" complicates that.

If you want to play with the intent, the "youth" is the opposite sex from the encountered noun, and "perverse" simply means "inappropriate [for whatever reason]". However, by the following principle:

Quote:
After all that, as stated before it's about whatever makes it the most fun or funny.

then deciding randomly actually works quite well!

Quote:
I can't wait to play this again!

Me too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I a case like this we used the gender of the picture on the encounter card as a basis for comparison. So if the Ne'er-do-well was a man on the card I would assume the youth in the text was a woman. My apologies for hetero-normativity (sp?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, the bar has really dropped on what it considered a rant now-days.

My point being the whole game is basically random - even the parts where you choose your answer you are not given any real meaningful information to base your choice on. So that being said there really is no "wrong" way to get through any sticking points in the game - the destiny die can turn any encounter into a favorable one or a unfavorable one during the course of every encounter - just roll it again when you run into the rare goof-ups in the encounters and move on. Don't see how that would really change the makeup of the game and offend anyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Eckels
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
In the spoiler text, there's a part where it says "takes your hands in his," so it's a dude unless someone who says otherwise is a developer for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elsie Rocketship
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
As you slide down The Bannister Of Life, let's hope the splinters are facing the right direction
mbmbmbmbmb
Berinor wrote:
In the spoiler text, there's a part where it says "takes your hands in his," so it's a dude unless someone who says otherwise is a developer for the game.

They use 'him' and 'his' as default, even if it's a woman, as the paragraphs can be used for different characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Lang
Canada
Wellesley
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
I a case like this we used the gender of the picture on the encounter card as a basis for comparison. So if the Ne'er-do-well was a man on the card I would assume the youth in the text was a woman. My apologies for hetero-normativity (sp?).

That was actually my original thought, but the other players seemed satisfied with a roll so I wasn't going to say much. I think in the future, knowing this encounter can be reached from multiple encounter origins, I'll treat the youth as the opposite gender of the pictured character on the encounter card.

Anway, in our case, Ali Baba ended up having "tender moments" with a young man. NTTAWWT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBannister wrote:
Berinor wrote:

They use 'him' and 'his' as default, even if it's a woman, as the paragraphs can be used for different characters.

It's too bad they don't consistently use "other" or "other's" or the appropriate referent noun instead of all the gendered pronouns. Even if it would make the writing a little more awkward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think Ali Baba was sad to leave the next morning.soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.