Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Last night I finally got my copy of Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog and I'm watching it today whilst at work. (it's just that slow) I can't believe what a lovely piece of work this is... the song, visuals and writing are just a joy to see and hear.

I have many favourites in a variety of mediums but Dr. Horrible just has to be the one that fills so many niches. I really hope the rumour is true that they're going to put out another segment of Dr. Horrible... and I hope they do it with the same joy that the first one (this one) evokes in it's participants and those who survey it.

Ok, done. I'm back to frozen yogurt and the laundry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Is this series no longer online? I agree, it is terrific.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you get the version that also has the sing-along commentary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sinister Dexter wrote:
Did you get the version that also has the sing-along commentary?

Yep, listened to it back when I rented this from Blockbuster. I've just finished rewatching the 3 acts and I'm still filled with a bit of remorse over
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Penny's death
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Majik Mouse
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Love and Peace from the MajikMouse!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed.

Spoilers follow for not only Dr. Horrible but also Buffy and Serenity.

I know that Joss has to live up to his rep of "Jossing" his characters, and I know that the point of the story is a (somewhat) unconventional origin story, but everything does not have to end in tragedy. Sometimes a light, fun piece can just be a light fun piece. I think he is just too one note with his tonality. When it works, it works (Terra (or Tara... too lazy to look it up) for instance) but too often it just seems thrown in suddenly to ratchet up the pressure (Wash being the most egregious example). As a result, the whole thing was just sad... and not really sad in an enjoyable or meaningful way. By trying to be funny AND poignant in such a short space, it failed at both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Stories with villians as primary characters rarely if ever end well. Stories with villians as the heroes I think are a novelty and have to be given a bit more latitude.

Since I don't want to spoil something even though I'm sure many already know... I think the show ended on the exact note that it should have. The main drive of the story was fulfilled even if it didn't end in the way you wish it would have... and I must admire this bit of writing even more for the way they handled it... a hook that you wouldn't normally guess at... Kim (my wife) and I were both taken by surprise for how the ending was achieved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Is this series no longer online? I agree, it is terrific.

You can watch the entire trio of acts on YouTube... it's just kinda jarring to see a bit... load a bit... see a bit... you get the picture. I'm seriously considering though going to ITunes and looking for the music alone... there are a few pieces that I just love and even when I rented it a few months back... the songs are still in my head now waiting to burst out and be sung. (be slightly afraid I think...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Hulu has Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this a while back on the web. I thought it was great. I'm not a comic book/superhero fan, or a Joss Whedon[sp?] fan, but I thought Dr. Horrible was loads of fun. I wish it would be made into a series so I could see more! But it would probably be too hard to keep the quality up over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally catchy, funny, tragic, and even moving at points. One of the best things to come from the writer's strike.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Majik Mouse
United States
Tuscaloosa
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
Love and Peace from the MajikMouse!
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Stories with villians as primary characters rarely if ever end well. Stories with villians as the heroes I think are a novelty and have to be given a bit more latitude.

The thing is that he was not really a villain at all. He wanted to be, for silly, superficial reasons (like a five year old wanting to be a fireman or an astronaut, not for any real reasons but because they seem cool) and in the end he is evil because he has been crushed. I find the end very depressing, because he has not just lost
his girl,

he has lost the whole reason he was fun and a likable character in the first place. For a while, he offered a real alternative to "good" characters like the Hammer. In the end, that alternative is just evil... and not even some kind of fun evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajikMouse wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

The thing is that he was not really a villain at all. He wanted to be, for silly, superficial reasons (like a five year old wanting to be a fireman or an astronaut, not for any real reasons but because they seem cool) and in the end he is evil because he has been crushed. I find the end very depressing, because he has not just lost
his girl,

he has lost the whole reason he was fun and a likable character in the first place. For a while, he offered a real alternative to "good" characters like the Hammer. In the end, that alternative is just evil... and not even some kind of fun evil.

Villians aren't necessarily thin mustachioed gentlemen dressed in black cacckling maniacally. Villians can be good people who for the wrong reasons slip off the edge into evil. Dr. Horrible for whatever intentions wanted to be a villian. He recognized his limitations and overcame them. He also recognized that Hammer who was called a hero was nothing of the sort... just like from your view that Horrible wasn't really a villian. But his intent was to become a villian, join the Evil League of Evil and take his rightful place as overlord of his fair city. He would rule them with steel gauntlet that doled out his version of fairplay co-mingled with tyranny. I guess it was his decision to be a hero who wore a black hat.

Honestly though... what is this 'fun' evil? When is it fun to torture kittens or leave old ladies hanging half way across the street. Why in the world should evil be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
the songs are still in my head now waiting to burst out and be sung.

my son loves the music, he requested one of the songs (A Man's Gotta Do) be used in the slide show video i made for his birthday (that song starts 1 min. in)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.