Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brendan Chambers
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey don't know if you guys saw this yet but I was looking around and found the deluxe rule book

http://www.gmtgames.com/living_rules/TS_Rules_Deluxe.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tali Urulu
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am pleased that there will be a rewrite of Ames. I hope it has the effect of the current draft of my "House Rules" (aka "Urulu Rules") states:

"In addition to Aldrich Ames (whose career is generally correctly described in the 'official' Card Histories), the course of the Cold War was influenced by other 'defectors in place', aka 'moles'. These included William Whalen (1959-1966), George Trofimoff (1969-2000), John Walker (1968-1985), George Trofimoff (1969-2000), Clyde Conrad (1974-1988), and Robert Hanssen (1979-2001). Their activities resulted in the many deaths, not only of compromised US 'assets', but also perhaps the entire crew of the U.S.S. Scorpion, as well. However, for a variety of reasons, they never had,nor could they have had,the kind of game-changing effects possible under the "official" rules for #98 ALDRICH AMES."

Consistent with this, the current draft of my "House Rules" provides for replacing the current card as follows:

"#98 ALDRICH AMES: Replace with a Mid War 2OP card associated with the USSR with the following text:

"#98 MOLES

"Play in Headline Phase to require US player to display her/his hand. USSR player then selects one card (including Scoring cards) to be played as US Headline and then canceled. For remainder of turn, if USSR plays #103 "DEFECTORS", US does not gain 1 VP. Canceled card and this card return to the Discard Pile at end of turn.

"If played by US during its action round, USSR gains 1 VP (unless played on the Space Race) and card is returned to Discard Pile."

To make the #103 DEFECTORS card consistent with the change, it is changed to add the following to the text:

"For remainder of turn, if US plays #98 "MOLES", USSR does not gain 1 VP and card is returned to Discard Pile."

I believe that these "Urulu Rules' capture the cumulative effect of such "moles" as Ames by putting it back in the deck, but avoid what is, in my opinion, the historically unsupported effect of the original card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also glad there will be a rewrite of Ames. It's not a particularly fun card for either player especially when it leads to a cheap victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad too that this card is being revamped. I assume that in initial playtesting it didn't seem as bad as it really was. After people have gotten the experience that this community has under its collective belt, it has turned out to be either a gamebreaker or an essentially non-event, depending on what side drew it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one that thinks Ames is pretty much fine as he is? In 50+ games he's only come up against Lone Gunman once (and until I pointed it out my wife didn't quite realise why I'd lost!), and the psychological impact of his play is far greater than his effect on the game state in most other situations. I'd say that Chernobyl is more likely to be significantly damaging to the USSR player than Ames is to the US player, especially as you don't have the potential for Defectors or alternatively just headlining Lone Gunman if Ames is a possibility. One thing I'd definitely change would be making him 2 or 3 ops, there's no way he should be a 4.

If you wanted him to be more thematic I'd change him so that the US player reveals his hand and has to declare at the start of the turn what order he's going to play his cards in (knowing what your opponent is going to do being more thematic of a mole). To ensure he keeps a bit more of his power if this happened I'd say that you couldn't use UN or fire a card off onto the space race that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.