7 Posts

Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium» Forums » General

Subject: just two expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
x y
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as far as i remember the game was originally planned with only two expansions. i believe a lot of betatesting was done in such form. so besides strange star/diamond symbols, contest cards and goals, having two expansions is like playing original concept or some additional cards were added because of next unplanned expansion? i wonder where core/original game ends and some marketing starts.

i like the game and i'm sure tom will do or he already did an excellent job with new expansions (beyond 2nd one) and i'll buy them for sure. but let's say i am fetishist and i would like to play the game in shape that has the best balance, optimization and longest beta testing period. should i play goals (i do not like them)? should i remove contest cards? any other tweaks? what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game was not originally developed with expansions, though the expansion were developed for the most part by the time the original game was released, and it seems clear that each expansion has been designed with the next one in mind (including the latest expansion). I don't think there is any place you can draw the line regarding where the "original design" ends. It would be accurate to say even the basic game has changed between its "original design" and its release.

With regards to goals and contest cards, the game is balanced with those in mind. They didn't simply take a balanced game and throw in extra features without regard to how it changes the game. As I understand it, the contest cards were playtested along with the rest of the cards, before any of the card design was FINAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hung Nguyen
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/3695426#3695426

The first two expansions have been planned/playtested and The Brink of War was not originally planned.

Per Tom Lehman

Quote:
RFTG base game was developed and tested (alone) for about 15 months; then I did TGS and tested it for about a year; then I did RvI and tested it (with the base game and TGS) for about two years prior to RFTG's publication.

There was some tweaking of the base game and each expansion based on the combined game, as well as revisiting each one individually during the last year before publication. During this period, we did test whether the base game and just RvI was viable, without TGS. It works ok; though the lack of TGS's start worlds, Imperium Lords, Terraforming Guild, and Improved Logistics definitely affects play -- not being able to alter the tempo of the game makes the Produce/Consume strategies a lot stronger than when playing with the base game and both expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Surya Van Lierde is pure Eurosnoot and proud of it!
Belgium
Michelbeke
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second expansion already includes symbols to be used in the third expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I seriously think its a bad idea for Tom to disrupt the time streams by going back and retroactively adding those different symbols to the second expansion before it was published. If Rio Grand is going to encourage this sort of irresponsible time travel, they shall do so without the benefit of my patronage.

-Sincerely,
Angry Gamer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
x y
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

i don't care about those two symbols, as long 2nd expansion is still real second expansion. thanks god uplift and imperium strategies are fleshed out as promised.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Uh... Mr. McWeasely? I did design Time Agent. Just saying... ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.