6 Posts

StarCraft: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions on bases and high templars rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi, I just played my first full game with a friend (1v1). I played as Protoss with the 15VP special, and he played the Zerg Overmind. Now, if I build the Anti-Air module and place bases on all areas of a planet, how can an enemy invade? And why does a high templar have no stats for offensive or health? Is he a ghost unit? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One player can't put bases on more than one area of the same planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coda A27 wrote:
why does a high templar have no stats for offensive or health? Is he a ghost unit?

The High Templar is an Assist unit; You might want to go back and read this part of the rulebook again. But in a nutshell, an Assist unit never finds itself in the frontlime of a skirmish in combat, it's always in support, providing various helpful abilities rather than pure combat strength, so that you should never have to use attack or health values for it. The exception is if a combat occurs in an area where one side only has Assist units, in which case these units will find themselves in the frontline and will always have to use the minor values on combat cards (a pretty lousy situation that will certainly result in the destruction of said units).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Donders
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I thought, according to the rulebook, that if an enemy enters an area controlled only by opponents assist units, these assist units must retreat to nearby friendly areas. If they cannot because the areas nearby are those of the enemy, or because there is no friendly transport on the navigation route, they are automatically destroyed without a battle. Correct me if I'm wrong but,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Palm
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that battle is resolved before the assist units retreat. The reason is that it's only in 9. Resolve retreats on page 32 that assist units is mentioned. On starting a battle it just says that a battle occur if enemy units are in the area.

So i would say that assist units can acctually defend a area if they manage to destroy all the attacking units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Gorger wrote:
So i would say that assist units can actually defend a area if they manage to destroy all the attacking units.

While this is true, don't forget that they don't have any attack capabilities (in the boardgame). That is, they can neither attack air or ground units. Therefore, even though they have a strength value (the small red number) the opposing front-line unit will never be destroyed due to sufficient strength.
In the base game, therefore, the only assist units that can defend an area by destroying attacking units are the queen (spawn broodling) and defiler (plague).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.