Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sorry, this is not meant to be disrespectful but I was seized by the sudden curiousity as to whether or not an alien (say perhaps Spock, ET, ALF or some other extraterrestrial) could become one of the jewish faith?

I'm not sure what the restrictions are and my brief dalliance with Google didn't leave me any the wiser. So your help would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Zoidberg might eat a member of the jewish faith but... really?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure shellfish are verboten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
I figured they'd most likely be Scientologists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Sorry, this is not meant to be disrespectful but I was seized by the sudden curiousity as to whether or not an alien (say perhaps Spock, ET, ALF or some other extraterrestrial) could become one of the jewish faith?

I'm not sure what the restrictions are and my brief dalliance with Google didn't leave me any the wiser. So your help would be appreciated.

Why dont you ask him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Zoidberg's brother was an alien Jewish comedian.

I doubt that Israel would give them citizenship, but it'd be interesting to see aliens from another planet claiming to be the chosen ones of YWH,and bring in ancient religions scrolls that prove that at least, that's what they believe.

Either way, aliens would turn many religious beliefs on their heads. Could the same deity have an extra chosen tribe in a different planet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about intelligent computers? That might be a more proximate question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

I didn't know you were interested in becoming Jewish!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kenney
United States
New Milford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Gotta catch 'em all!
badge
I like shorts. They are comfy and easy to wear.
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked my wife, who majored in Jewish history.

"This is indeed a question of Talmudic proportions...Apparently, some sages believe in extraterrestrial life, so I would imagine it would be okay, since they are part of God's creation."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Were the Nephilim Jewish?

If yes... then, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Robert Silverberg wrote "The Dybbuk of Mazel Tov IV", which involves a Dybbuk inhabiting an alien, and the aliens turn to the human, and jewish, settlers to help them perform an exorcism. Afterwards, they (the aliens) are so impressed, they ask to be converted.

But really, I think pretty much anyone can become Jewish, assuming they are willing to put in the effort and sincerely live the life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Gecko23 wrote:
But really, I think pretty much anyone can become Jewish, assuming they are willing to put in the effort and sincerely live the life.
And not just for the jokes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
http://oldjewstellingjokes.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Since some Earthbound extraterrestrials (a.k.a. the Nefilim, the Watchers and the Anunaki) were apparently involved in the formation of numerous Terran religions as evidenced by the ancient Sumerian, Sanskrit and Vedic texts which predate the Bible by thousands of years, I think you've got things backwards.

Moreover, although his father was a high priest in the temple of the Anunaki, it's notable that Abraham left ancient Sumer on the eve of its impending "War of Gods and Men," when warring clans of Anunaki fought for dominance over the Earth using humans as their foot soldiers. Never mind that the "gods" in question were gods spelled with a little letter "g." And although they were flesh-and-blood beings, they'd nonetheless been able to hold sway over humankind for quite a while because as the bringers of the gifts of civilization (arts, science, mathematics, writing, agriculture, etc.) to ancient Sumer, the Anunaki had practically been worshipped as de-facto Gods with a capital letter "G." (And the worst of them lorded it over humankind as if they believed themselves to be actual gods.)

Indeed, the notion of a disemboided God/Oversoul was already a belief of the Anunaki themselves for nearly two thousand years before the Jews' own notion of Jehovah came into fruition. Indeed, the early Jews' notion of Jehovah made him sound as he were a flesh-and-blood Anunaki himself because early Jews believed Jehovah had a wife! (And no, I'm not talking about the Holy Spirit or a spiritual entity, either.)

So you see, no long-established Terran religion would be all that "alien" to an extraterrestrial after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I'm pretty sure shellfish are verboten.

You'd raise fewer eyebrows if you'd use "farbotn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:

No problemo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
No problemo.

I take it this is supposed to represent circumcision?

It seems a bit more "complete" than usual practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.