Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after receiving Caledea on my doorstep today, and eagerly ripping open the well wrapped brown paper, I read over the rules and impatiently set it to wait until after dinner. (Our typical gaming time.)

Onto the games:

Game one: She was Portalia, I was Meldoria. I figured we should probably start with the largest armies to get a good feel for how the game worked. It was a rocky start with picking our way towards our next outposts. Having the large armies, it was harder to get the gold we needed to upgrade or build. We both managed to promote a couple of cavalry, but the game ultimately ended (almost unexpectedly) with my taking her headquarters. Since we were the teams we were, we shared the river feature, and so our "double-strong" squares were pretty much nullified. As were the headquarters.

Game two: She was Talaq, I was Xonavia. Now that we'd gotten a grasp on the mechanics of the game, we decided to branch out and explore the balances of having different cost/action/sized starting powers. I went first and I think I was halfway through my third action when I realized I only had two to begin with. She managed to spread out pretty quick, but lacked the larger cavalries. I managed to get a tower in, that she managed to destroy shortly afterwards. I then salted one of her territories, and she retaliated by salting three of mine. I (accidentally) ended the game by trying to combat one of her cavalry with a cavalry of my own to try and win a salted territory back, and remove another of her men from the board. I failed, and as I removed my poor soldier, I realized it was the last of my men, sealing her victory.

These games sound very abrupt, but that's kind of how Caledea plays. (Says the knowledgable two-games player. ) Quick, dirty, and to the point. We were playing on only one map piece, and I look forward to a "truly epic game" by joining the two pieces together.

~Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

It really seems to play quickly--is there time to explore several strategies, or several alternative armies, in a single evening?

Also, it sounds like the "professional" edition is shipping earlier in the month than had been estimated. If so, good news!

Please, keep the reports coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems I overlooked one of the rules: each unit may only move once per turn. This may make the game longer, as we frequently moved the same unit twice a turn to reach outposts quicker. I have a rule question on the rules forum.

The games we played, despite having probably broken a rule, only took us 20-30 minutes. I found it to be rather enjoyable, and will be seeking more games tonight, to try things properly. (And hopefully to get my dad in for a three-on game.)

Edit: I should also mention the balance in this game. The larger armies (Meldoria, Lumnos, Portalia) allow you to start the game stronger, thus enabling you to race to more outposts, but also costs more to build. The smaller armies (Xonavia, Kaswick, Nishar) force you to start with smaller armies, but everything costs less, so you find yourself with more powerful individual locations, and more building time on your hand.

~Daniel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.