Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Survive! finally got its first (and 3 more plays) yesterday night.

it all started because of one on time friend and six late comers.
seeing that there was only two of us, my friend and i had to choose a two player game from my meager list of games. and we decided that Survive! it shall be.

and it was a fantastic choice.
our first play through was kinda like testing water
we didnt bother about seeing the scores beneath our survivors (to be) and just didnt to go head out war.

and war it was with my friend edging me out by 4 points (and 2 extra survivors). it was fun but we both agreed that 3 or 4 players was the way to go.

and loh and behold, just when we ended, 3 more friends came and a 4 player game got on the way. it was mayhem as expected and alot of backstabbing and negotiations were going on. and typically, i was always ganged up against. my friends have the erm "bully the host / owner of the game" syndrome. hahaha. which is fine really. that way i get more fun (thats how i feel sometimes, although i am failing at the game miserably, but everybody seems to be having a ball of a time)

2nd play through was not as tight as expected, i finished with 2 points, but there was 1 player with no survivors and 1 player with an almighty 10 points (not alot by normal standards, but compared to what we got, it was alot)

but the last play through (3rd play), was tighter. i guess its all about being more and more familiar with the game. i don't remember the exact score but i know i narrowly lost out by one move

i had my 6 point guy on the boat by the island. and i just needed one more move to push him on for the win but who would have thought that the 2nd mountain piece to be opened by my friend would be the volcano. so i came in second, short of 4 points to claim first place.
very nice. laugh

and my friends did enjoy it alot.
comments were made like, "this is fun", "i'm going to drown you and your sorry people Er!", "come on! Shark Shark Shark!".

even through the night when eventually there was 8 of us. 3 of them quietly went away to play Survive! and left the 5 of us to our Ca$h & Gun$ game. so well, i do believe they must have enjoyed it somewhat.

no mentioned was made about whether we shall meet to play it again, but we'll see how it goes. but one friend did say, "for a 1982 game, its still pretty relevent today". and that says alot

well, it was a great time and i think it will most likely see table time again. though i have been trying to push hard for "Galaxy Trucker". i've been wanting to play that for ages. its still left untouched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am always amazed at how fun this game is. It was way ahead of it's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Furunkulus wrote:
I am always amazed at how fun this game is. It was way ahead of it's time.

yes Todd, i do totally agree.

before i played it, i keep hearing everyone say it, but found it hard to believe. but because i liked the mechanics and the theme of it, i decided i just had to fork out the cash to try it out

and i dont regret it one bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.