World in Flames» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of rules questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brage Tørmænen
Norway
flag msg tools
Hello all.
I'm currently playing my very first WiF game, a Barbarossa PBEM. My opponent and I have just wondered if anyone could clear up a few things about the rules for us.
First we were wondering if it's customary to announce any ground strikes you intend to do before your opponent flies CAPs. It seems only fair that you should "know" there's a ground strike coming before you send out your FTRs on patrol. On the other hand one could assume that any army would be interested in giving air cover to it's troops, especially the most valuable, and therefore would send out FTRs on patrol anyway.

Second is the railway supply path rule. How does it in effect work? we understand that HQs can trace a RR path and it can be anywhere along it's 4 hexes but is the same possible for other land units, and indeed air units as well? I guess you can assume that an HQ has trucks, horses and other means of transportation for organizing supply whereas an INF corps, for instance, although possessing some means of transporting heavier equipment, just don't have the resources to arrange for a similar supply path. So far we've decided to let any land unit trace supply along a RR as long as the RR enters the units hex. HQs can trace supply and have RR enter anywhere along the path.

Hope someone can gives us some clearance here. Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Brage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Afzelius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

There is to ansavers to you first Q.

First we were wondering if it's customary to announce any ground strikes you intend to do before your opponent flies CAPs. It seems only fair that you should "know" there's a ground strike coming before you send out your FTRs on patrol. On the other hand one could assume that any army would be interested in giving air cover to it's troops, especially the most valuable, and therefore would send out FTRs on patrol anyway.

THIS IS THE RULE`!
All ftr can intercept ½ range after the planes is flown to the target.
Meaning that if a hex is bombed any ftr within range of that target (½ range) can then fly to intercept.

NORMAL IN THE GROUP I PLAY IN.
IF a strike has great danger if succesfull, I normaly warn my opponets IF they can fly CAP but NOT intercept as the rule.

The supply Q

Second is the railway supply path rule. How does it in effect work? we understand that HQs can trace a RR path and it can be anywhere along it's 4 hexes but is the same possible for other land units, and indeed air units as well? I guess you can assume that an HQ has trucks, horses and other means of transportation for organizing supply whereas an INF corps, for instance, although possessing some means of transporting heavier equipment, just don't have the resources to arrange for a similar supply path. So far we've decided to let any land unit trace supply along a RR as long as the RR enters the units hex. HQs can trace supply and have RR enter anywhere along the path.

Supply path can from units only be bacis supply path, RULE 2.4.2

You trace a supply path from a unit to a primary supply source.

If you are tracing a path from a secondary supply source to a primary supply source, it is a railway supply path.

If you are tracing any other supply path, it is a basic supply path.

ONLY SECONDARY SUPPLY SOURCES CAN TRACE RR SUPPLY PATH.
Meaning only HQ units (some citys are secondary supply sources) are units that can trace railway supply path all other units trace basic supply path to a source (Primary or secondary supply source ) that be HQ or citys.

LAST wif is a great game with a lot of optional rules that can make other options that the one I highlight here.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brage Tørmænen
Norway
flag msg tools
Thanks Henning!
This clears things up a lot. We were kind of thinking the same but wanted to hear what experienced players thought. They usually have playedso much that they know what works and what doesn't.

Cheers, Brage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Afzelius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are most wellcome Brage
If you have the time do write some headlines about you game
Cheers Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brage Tørmænen
Norway
flag msg tools
You mean like a session report?
I guess I could do that, only it's my first game and I'm making some awful mistakes

Brage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Afzelius
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes and dont think about mistakes.
I have played wif in over 20 years and I dont think I played a single game without making huge mistakes shake (my last ongoing game just got the Queen trs sunk and HQ-A blitz away blush , you can see the report here (danes in flames).
Henning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brage Tørmænen
Norway
flag msg tools
I think I'll a session report of our next game instead. We're almost finished with this one and I can't remember the previous turns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Robotpacifist wrote:
You mean like a session report?
I guess I could do that, only it's my first game and I'm making some awful mistakes

Brage

Mistakes are inevitable! Hey, I played the Germans in a Days of Decision III/WIF game and managed to maneuver the Swedes into declaring war in 1939 - against ME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco semori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lol don't worry we're playing too for the first time and write about it allow other people to give you advices,
read our "newbie in flames" and see how much mistakes we do ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.